2 valve job later (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all I was had out $3000 bones only to found out the guy never did anything to it, really nothing. After I am shooting radiator fluid and smoke out of my tailpipe( this is the 3rd time back) he says you need a new Engine and he could do it for a another whopping 3 grand. F you I thought and spent another year saving to get her looked at. Well Anyway new place showed me what they didn't do and what they where supposed to do, blah, blah, blah. and they fixed it real well. Except my truck overheated and backfired on highway, but drove well and no overheating in city routes. I check vacuum leaks and found a huge on on my Weber carb. fixed it and all my problems went away. Well for at least a few days. Took it back to get my radiator looked at and a gas leaked to the fuel pump tighten up. They threw ina heavy duty Thermastat and it test drove and was good. I drove her home and was very excited that 3 years later I get to drive her the way I remember, tears of joy, UNTIL I stop get gas and go to start her up all on my way home from the shop. Well she almost wouldn't turn over I mean as if it was stuck, no wah wah, nothing then she started to slowly turn and when she roughly started a HUGE puff of smoke came out of the tailpipe. I drove across the street to my home turned it off and tried to start again, same thing.
I have tried to look thru the threads, nothing specific to this case. Please any help would be nice, I miss my my ride and all the money I spent on this is getting a little tuff to chew. Just ask the wife,lol. Thanks guys

ron-burgundy-great-story.jpg

wow, whats the question?

I have had 3 previous FJ40's all had webers and never had a problem. same for this one until this last valve job. I love my Weber carb, I know the hate and the love on this site for Webers. Just so happens that my name is Weber also, so the carb stays. Back to why you think its the Weber that is causing this.

Update, I woke this morning and tried to start it and and it started right up and no smoke. So I will drive it for the day and see what happens. I am stumped as to why this would happen in the first place. Fingers crossed that I can put my attention towards other things on my baby.

could be two unrelated issues.. a bad ground... bad battery.. or bad starter for the hard to start.. (did you try to crank it by hand? what exactly happend when you turned the key?)

puff of white smoke? mine smokes a lil bit every time i start it depending on the temperature outside.. condensation can tend to build up inside exhaust

keep an eye on it and post up any updates

Save your 3k, sell the Weber, and do a 5.7L or 5.3L swap. I've had 3) 2-F engines... All of them have been money pit PITA Engines. I bought a running/driving 1989 G20 van for $300, took the engine & trans, and sold the scrap for $300. I'll not be looking back.

Mine has not been in all my years of ownership, but I also do not expect it to be a hot rod.

When my 2f gives up, I will put in a v8 but not until then.

Okay Update, was told by the shop who did the last valve job that it could be the carb needs a rebuilt. Running to rich and or that when it sits for a long time that the gas is being evaporated and not smoking after it sits. But if you start it right after running that the gas doesn't evaporated and burning to rich. Sounds plausible to me. I got to really see the smoke in its true color. Blueish grayish white. less and less than the original time. now its only time to time, not everytime.I got some gummout and going to try that for now. I will post if that changes anything. Thanks for the input guys.

could be two unrelated issues.. a bad ground... bad battery.. or bad starter for the hard to start.. (did you try to crank it by hand? what exactly happend when you turned the key?)

puff of white smoke? mine smokes a lil bit every time i start it depending on the temperature outside.. condensation can tend to build up inside exhaust

keep an eye on it and post up any updates

Thanks, Its doesn't make and noise for a few turns at all then the ehh ehh ehh then the sound of cranking and then when it finally does poof lots of smoke. I did have my radiator overflow blow up and get radiator fluid on everything, so I look for dirty cables and such. Also during that explosion it shot my windshield fluid container all over the engine so maybe it knock something loose. I do all that and post an update. Oh how do you crank it by hand?

Don't know if it's the same thing, but this is my story. After driving for about an hour at freeway speeds (60) mph for me, I pulled off the road and my engine just died, tried to start it and and it would barely turn over, with what I would call white smoke comming out the tail pipe. I had a good battery and the engine felt like you said "locked up". Found that my carb bowl was full. I tapped on the carb bowl and sat there for awhile until fuel was at half of sight glass. It fired right up and I've put several hundred miles on it since then. My therory, and I may be wrong, is that a little piece of something was on the needle valve causing the carb to flood, putting way too much fuel into a hot engine, the excess fuel was vaporizing in the combustion chamber and as I was trying to start it, was too rich to fire so it just "puffed" out the tail pipe. It has not happened since? By the way I have a stock 2F with Aisin carb. sorry to be so long winded, but hope this helps. Good luck.

Don't know if it's the same thing, but this is my story. After driving for about an hour at freeway speeds (60) mph for me, I pulled off the road and my engine just died, tried to start it and and it would barely turn over, with what I would call white smoke comming out the tail pipe. I had a good battery and the engine felt like you said "locked up". Found that my carb bowl was full. I tapped on the carb bowl and sat there for awhile until fuel was at half of sight glass. It fired right up and I've put several hundred miles on it since then. My therory, and I may be wrong, is that a little piece of something was on the needle valve causing the carb to flood, putting way too much fuel into a hot engine, the excess fuel was vaporizing in the combustion chamber and as I was trying to start it, was too rich to fire so it just "puffed" out the tail pipe. It has not happened since? By the way I have a stock 2F with Aisin carb. sorry to be so long winded, but hope this helps. Good luck.

wont hurt to look into it. Thanks appreciate the help.

Quick update, I put in Gummout and so far that work for the rough start and smoke problem. Yet its is only one day. But with the new Thermostat in she seems to run real hot. I think at just getting a new 4 core radiator from JC outfitters. only 249$,

Okay new update, Drove 3 minutes out then stopped it for 8 mins then drove 10 minutes. Stop got a drink and she poof just tons of smoke light in color but was night so couldn't be exact. She has no problem starting up now that I cleaned the truck engine of radiator fluid.

Maybe has something to do with it or not. this time I was missing radiator fluid 2 gals to be exact. Drove off and pow 10 mins later full blown overheated and backfired. I stopped and realized no fluid overflow coming out. Let set and checked Rad. 2 gals short filled her up and drove back. She drove well and later that night the smoke thing. Also smell of antifreeze is strong a still, could be burning off parts still. missing fluid I check everytime I park and get in and nothing leaked of rad fluid. at all since the shop changed my Thermastat. I drove her twice and not too far after the shop visit..

Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

I agree with the carb overflowing, as long as its running the engine burns the excess fuell but once it shuts down fuell flows in the manifold. It also explains why it started up the next day, the excess fuell will be evaporated.
You might want to check the carb for dirt and change the fuell filter and/or add a microfilter. You can have your coolingsystem pressurised to check for leaks, might be a leak in the heater core.

Possible head gasket. Depending on where the pistons are in the compression cycle on the leaking cylinders each time you stop. Piston up = no room for coolant to fill the chamber. Piston down = coolant seeps into chamber and gets expelled through the tailpipe. This would explain the coolant loss... as long as it's not filling the crankcase and mixing with engine oil. How's your oil level?

I did have my radiator overflow blow up and get radiator fluid on everything,

That is not a routine occurrence in most LandCruisers.

Possible head gasket.

If a bad head gasket was allowing the cylinder to pressurize the cooling system, could that lead to a radiator overflow bottle blowing up?

Does OP re-torque his head bolts after valve jobs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom