1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 story garage, parking on both levels, possible???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by firetruck41, Aug 7, 2005.

1. firetruck41

firetruck41

I have a slight sloping lot where I am planning to build my house. I am thinking of doing a detatched 2 car garage (approx 24'x24'). There would be a slight build up/fill to the main garage entrance which will be on the upslope side, then there will be a driveway that goes down the slope around the side of the garage to the back, and there will be a lower level of parking directly under the main garage (entrance on the "backside" of the garage as seen from the street/main level). I envision the lower level would be built essentially as a 3 sided basement, and the second level would probably be built on top of that with iron beams and corrugated metal floor with cement poured on top of it.

I'm sure it is $$$, but how would it compare to building two separate high quality finished garages? Where is the big cost going to be, that would be different than a normal garage? I'm thinking excavation, there will also be a daylight basement plus 2 story house built next to it, so it will be in addition to work already being done. Also the engineering and flooring for the upper level garage, but I know they do suspended(?) garages (garage over crawl space) around here fairly frequently due to the steep hill sides they are building homes on in the area.

2. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

I would contact a steel building company...seems like it would be the only way to go...

3. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't see the costs of it exceeding that of 2 separate garages.

So factoring in that, do your research in finding a suitable builder and get at it.

Oh, and take LOTS of pics.

4. archie

archie

If you don't have the space, building on the side might be the only way to go. The only problem I see is that it will cost more than building more garages on level ground because it will take longer to build on a sloping site. More earth moving equipment will be involved to grade site and driveway(s). Erosion could cause more problems later on a sloping site,therefore more money and time for retention walls. Water leakage and dampness could also be a factor.
    Advantages on a sloping would be a higher isulation value from the earth so a little cooler during the summer and warmer in the winter.

5. firetruck41

firetruck41

This is all true, I am also building a new house 5 feet away with a similar daylight basement/excavation work needed, so hopefully that will spread some of the costs, instead of bringinr in the equipment just for the garage.
    Yup :)

The main reason is due to the size of the lot and the setbacks, in order to maximize the yard space and garage work shop space. The lower garage would be a workshop type space, vehicles would not regularly use it, so the concrete or pavers in front of it will also double as a patio area for the daylight basement of the house.

6. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Lots of steel beams/girders...but sounds like a cool idea.

7. PHAT MAX

PHAT MAX

i've seen it....about 3 weeks ago as a matter of fact. guy has a regular ranch house with exposed basement in back. driveway around back to lower garage. one i-beam down the middle (hamburger style). SPAN-CRETE! prolly the sweetest setup i've seen. maybe i'll go get some pics....

8. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    sure ya can, but it might not be cheap

I can park on the roof of my folks house.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

that is an awesome house....i like the yard on the roof! Really nice.

10. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    also is a fun place for a live band......the whole harbor was rockin :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roof is designed to take a car lift also ;) someday I will be wrechin on the roof :D

11. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Pimp, tell me you're an only child.....go ahead, rub it in.....

12. Jman

Jman

Crap, I think I'll just put Pimp on my ignore list, I just can't stand it anymore.

Anyway, I saw a building in upstate NY that was once a John Deere showroom. The floor joists were 2x12s, with 0" separation. Yup, nothing but solid wood. Not saying that's what you should do, I would do steel beams/reinfoced concrete, but still, it was pretty interesting.

13. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    yes I am, both my folks were also :)

14. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    we are working on a design for a prop we have, its gonna be a 3 level car dealership, you can drive(or take the elevator) up to all the floors. the site is smaller than most dealerships want, so this is a way to make it work.

15. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    The garage in my house is 2 levels, the upper part holds my Celica, and the lower garage holds my Karmann Ghia. I just drive around back to get the Ghia in. The upper garage is the "real" garage with an overhead door, the lower garage has double doors, so the Karmann Ghia , fits but there is no way the Cruiser will get through the doors (Toooo wide). I will try to snap some pics/

Zack

16. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Can be easily done with reinforced concrete, pre-fab bar joists with a concrete deck, or pre-cast concrete panels. Not really a big deal. You also will be saving on the roof, as it will be half the size than if it were the same area on a single floor. You can leave half of the upper floor out and install a lift on the floor below. :idea: