2 questions about my '74

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1. How do I know if my '74 has the "F" motor or the "1.5F"?

2. How do I determine my original color? I've looked at every thread I can find on the topic. My VIN is "FJ40173046." The only number that I see that may matches up with this is color code "304" which is "Pollux Orange" (offered in '74). Is the VIN at all descriptive of the color in '74?

Thanks guys,
-P

1. How do I know if my '74 has the "F" motor or
the "1.5F"?

1) There are lots of clues. Easiest is...where is your oil filter? Bolted to the intake manifold=F engine. If it's mounted to the block on the passenger side, like a 2f, it's a late F (1.5F) if your engine number starts with just an "F".

2. How do I determine my original color? I've looked at every thread I can find on the topic. My VIN is "FJ40173046." The only number that I see that may matches up with this is color code "304" which is "Pollux Orange" (offered in '74). Is the VIN at all descriptive of the color in '74?

2) Your VIN will not indicate your stock color. None of the tags on a '74 will tell you what color it was. Only way on a '74 to find the original color is to find some original paint somewhere on the body.

Pighead,

I'm still pretty new, so please forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that an "F" engine would say "F" and a "1.5 F" would say "1.5" as the engine type on the ID Plaque? If so, I didn't know that the 1.5 was an official designation. I thought it was more of an unofficial name for an updated "F" before the "2F" was introduced.

There's an engine serial number on a flat spot on the block, above the starter, on the passenger side of the engine. If it was a 2F, that number would start with "2F". If it's an F or a 1.5F, the serial number will just start with "F". If your oil filter is on the block in front of the distributor on the passenger side AND your engine serial number starts with "F", then you have the so-called 1.5F motor. If your oil filter is bolted to the intake manifold, you have an F engine. If the engine serial number starts with "2F", you have a 2F motor (and the oil filter will also be on the block on the passenger side. Clear as mud? :)

For the color check your fire wall behind the dash or inside the glove box. Most repainters won't kill themselfs to hit those areas unless it's had a frame off resto.

Pighead,

I'm still pretty new, so please forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that an "F" engine would say "F" and a "1.5 F" would say "1.5" as the engine type on the ID Plaque? If so, I didn't know that the 1.5 was an official designation. I thought it was more of an unofficial name for an updated "F" before the "2F" was introduced.

1911 answered that I think. "1.5" or F.5 or late F all refer to the same engine, was never an official designation, just our slang. This late F had the new oiling system that would continue with the 2F, but had the same dimensions as the early F.
Some people think this late F was the superior LandCruiser engine.

Thank you for your information gentlemen. From your descriptions, then, this is a 1.5 F (from my '74)?
Engine Shot.jpg

I have the 1.5F in my 74 Pig. It has some eccentricities, such as a couple of parts unique to that engine and that year, but my limited experience with it so far is that it is as good an engine as my 2F in the 40, and MUCH better than the old F engine the 40 came with originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom