2 low woking, 4 low not working. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
i suspect it's the linkage.
i can get 2 low but not 4 low,.
4 high is working and 4 low works when i press the four high vacuum button.

from what i can tell there is two parts of the linkage one part for 4 low and the other to engage the front d-shaft, if so it sounds like the linkage to the front s-shaft is not engaging correctly.

any help would be appreciated thanks.

will inspect today.

:beer:

Check the switches that are threaded into the transfer case, you may find a broken wire.

~John

Check the switches that are threaded into the transfer case, you may find a broken wire.

~John

thanks John, sounds possible.
just went out and tested again and surpise... low 4wd and the 4wd light comes on when the high 4wd button is not pressed and the low 4wd is working.

:steer:

If you swap the vacuum hoses,it should reverse the problem if its a fault with one of the vac solenoids.

thanks rosco

sprayed some lube on my linkage it's working great now. :D

:wrench:

Was the shifter stuck? My 75 was all seized up when I got it from lack of use. Had to use the foot to get it out of 4L

rosco

going back to your suggestion on the vacuum lines.
do mean that the 4h could mess up the front d-shaft engagement, so that when you engage 4 low the front d-shaft does not engage correctly?

rosco

going back to your suggestion on the vacuum lines.
do mean that the 4h could mess up the front d-shaft engagement, so that when you engage 4 low the front d-shaft does not engage correctly?

I suggested swapping the vac hoses to isolate a bad vacuum solenoid or leaking hose. Swapping hoses reverses the operation of the switch. On becomes off.

Its also a way of getting home if one of the hoses is ripped off or holed.

When you select low ,it should automatically engages the front diff without pressing the 4x4 button.
Im not sure what happens if you have swapped the hoses.
I cant remember if 4L is engaged by an electrical switch or a lever connected to the low range shifter if the button has not been pressed:confused:

I cant remember if 4L is engaged by an electrical switch or a lever connected to the low range shifter if the button has not been pressed:confused:

When engaging 4low the lever actuates a switch. This switch is parallel to the 4High dashswitch.
If you are in low and don't get the 4WD light on unless you press the dashbutton there is something wrong with either the switch that is in de transferhousing or it's wiring.
If you reach above the transfer, near the handle, you will find a connector. From this connector two short wires lead to the righthand side of the transfer to the top of a switch that is screwed in the transfer. You should find connectivety between the two leads when the transferbox selector is set to 4 low.
If not, the switch is defect and has to be replaced.
If you find connectivety, there is a fault in the wiringharnass.

In my rig I have disconnected the switch. I allways have to push the dashswitch when I want 4WD. This way I'm able to select low gear without 4WD engaged. This is very convenient manoeuvring a trailer. But also to make tight turns in narrow conditions.

When engaging 4low the lever actuates a switch. This switch is parallel to the 4High dashswitch.

Correct;) I remember now that my 73 series has a different transmission wiring harness to my 75 which is a manual shift.
The manual shift is good ,but on a RHD in low range ,the shift lever is stuck into your left leg ,just below the knee.
Not much fun after 2 hours in low gear:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom