2 Leaks on 2005 Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, after cleaning it off and drying it off yesterday, I think I have found the problem on the left hand, driver’s side.

this is looking in at the front of the valve cover and the engine oil dipstick tube.

View attachment 3285623
the oil dip stick tube o-ring is far under there. check if there are residues oil/dirt on top of oil pan, around the connection part of tube and oil pan. if you see oil there you'd better change that o-ring as well.

the oil dip stick tube o-ring is far under there. check if there are residues oil/dirt on top of oil pan, around the connection part of tube and oil pan. if you see oil there you'd better change that o-ring as well.
Thanks. It’s on the list.

@Trunk Monkey How urgent should a leaking (1-2 drips for day) valve cover gasket replacement be?is this an ASAP repair or a take care of it whenever type of thing? Other than smell, didn’t know what issues it could cause.
thanks.

So, how long can you let leaky valve head covers go?
How about RMS?

Do either matter as long as you're not dripping?
Can they just leak forever and it's fine, as long as you're not dropping oil?
And what if you're dropping oil and you top it up? Are you going to run into problems?

Asking because I just figured out, after going through some carfax/lexus records, that the LX I just bought might have had a leaky RMS since 2017.

The biggest risk is likely a dropping oil level. If you are maintaining the system by adding new it might be okay for a long time. I think I recall there being a discussion on if the oil behind the RMS was under a high pressure or not, but I can’t recall the outcome of that. For the valve cover like @Trunk Monkey said it’s all about what else is it leaking on. An alternator getting wet can kill it. Lots of oil on a hot exhaust could start a fire I would imagine. All depends and lots of variables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom