2 Dead Cylinders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Absolutely last thing I need right now.......

Loss of power and rough idle......

Pulled the 1st (front) plug wire off for grins and giggles and it didnt change the idle.......put it back on, pulled the next one and it didnt change either.......tried all the others and they affected idle.......

pulled off the front 2 plugs wires with no difference in idle....

Adjusted the valves couple weeks ago and was running stellar......still felt like I had a compromised head gasket though because of water disappearing from the radiator.....

Whats the best way to proceed to find the problem? I know its either head gasket, rings? or needs a head rebuild but how do I figure it out?

I might need to just take it to someone because of my workload......?.....

Have you tried loosening the rocker arms up and running a compression test and see what your numbers are on the 2 dead cylinders. Try a test before and after you loosen the rocker arms. Don't know if this will do anything, but since you adjusted your valves a while back, maybe something isn't set right.

Nick

If you have adjusted the valves correctly and you are still at absolute zero on adjacent cylinders then it is one of two things, or both, blown headgasket and/or a cracked head.

i have a link to a thread where a guy had the same issue, i cant find it im only commenting so i can find this thread again once i find the link im looking for

i had the same issue except 3 dead cyls... i pulled my motor, ill be removing the head to check the cyl walls and valves this sunday (just ran outa daylight last week when i started) im planning on at least a head job worst case a total rebuilt BUT!! i have talked to a toyota specific 4x4 shop in GA that said they would do a rebuild and it will only cost 1200-1500 link to toyota shop

when i first started getting trouble outa my 2f i started searching for rebuilds heres my results about rebuild the engine here so judging by that 1500 is a hell of a good price for a rebuild and with all the places murphy and his damn law can come up i feel alot better investing in a motor rebuilt by someone who really knows what they are doing as compared to trying to do it myself and saving a few $$
hope your issue is less sever best of luck :cheers:

yeah.....I grabbed the end while it was running and got a good shock......put them to a ground and it sparked.......I'll have to try diagnosing it this weekend I guess.....

yeah.....I grabbed the end while it was running and got a good shock......put them to a ground and it sparked.......I'll have to try diagnosing it this weekend I guess.....

:D haha... I have tested mine this way.... always on accident... :mad:

shocked the s*** outa me when i grabbed the distributor power supply i wont make that mistake again for a good long while :hillbilly:

shocked the s*** outa me when i plugged grabbed the distributor power supply i wont make that mistake again for a good long while :hillbilly:

on of my buddies did that to me on my sled, un pluged one of them... with the engine running I grabbed the end to put it back on... got me at least twice before I could let go... real funny..:eek:

Any chance you have a massive vacuum leak on the runner to #1 and #2? Perhaps where the big vac fitting is?

I had the same problem. Very low compression on #2&3. Next step was to make a pressure tester, broke the ceramic out of a sparkplug used JB weld to put a 1/4 pipe nipple in the plug and an air hose connector, removed all plugs and set #2 TDC with valves closed then added 20 PSI. If it's valves the air will exit the intake or exhaust, rings out the crankcase or in my case the air flowed into #3 and out the open plug indicating a blown head gasket. Good luck.

theres an easyer way to see if its the rings or valves...if your compression numbers are very low in those cyls...then...

Put a little oil in the cylinders and test again. If it improves a bunch then it's the rings if not then it in the valves. Would be easier to have the head rebuild than the bottom end. If it is in the head there are other things to try before pulling the head like checking the valve adjustment.

:D

Just got the results of a compression test myself last night, cyl. #4 is dead (70psi)...feel your pain, man. Shop did a leakdown test and suspects it's an exhaust valve...quoted $1200-1400 for a cylinder head rebuild, so your shop sounds like it's giving you a similar quote. Hope things work out for you...

Just got the results of a compression test myself last night, cyl. #4 is dead (70psi)...feel your pain, man. Shop did a leakdown test and suspects it's an exhaust valve...quoted $1200-1400 for a cylinder head rebuild, so your shop sounds like it's giving you a similar quote. Hope things work out for you...

:eek::eek::eek::eek: 1400 for just the head rebuild?!?
ACC Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser
told me 1200-1500 for a complete engine rebuild.
i realize you are in OR but for the price difference you could cover shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom