2/75 FJ40 Wont Crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a bit stumped here and hoping someone can help me out.

My '75 was disassembled prior to my receipt, and I'm trying to lego this thing back together (with some tweaks along the way).

I confirmed my starter is good/working using a remote switch and/or screwdriver to jump the leads, however I cannot get the starter to turn over with my keyed ignition switch. I'm assuming I have a grounding issue somewhere, but haven't been able to solve it.

Picture 1: I have continuity of the BW wire from ignition switch all the way to the starter (white arrow). If I jump the lead (white arrow to green arrow) the starter turns over. The yellow arrow has continuity to the + side of the coil.

Picture 2: White arrow , BY wire, has continuity back to my start switch. No idea where this should go. Blue arrow, WB wire, no idea where that goes either.

Picture 3: White arrow, BY? wire, connects to the + side of the coil. I can take another picture, but Pic 2 and Pic 3 wires all jump out of the loom together next to the coil.

Thoughts on my issue/where to connect the wires?

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 2.19.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 2.22.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 2.22.38 PM.png

Not sure if you have your manuals, but here is a link to coolermans site. Scroll down and there are several links to ‘75 wiring schematics.

Where in town are you? If close, I may be able to help. I’ve been in your boat and know how frustrating it can be.

Ian

Or, you can can come look at my wiring as it’s mostly unwrapped. I’m in the middle of a PS rebuild so my 40 isn’t moving today.

image.jpg

Here’s how mine is wired up. I swapped out the original starter for a gear reduction one and oh what a difference. Yellow/black wire goes to my oil cooler and the beefier black/white goes to the POS side spade on the starter. Other than the (good) ground, that should be all that’s connected.

Thanks Ian, I'll DM you. I'm just south of Sunset Valley but north of Shady Hollow, so we're probably not far off. I might take you up on the reference inspection.

Also, my black/white wire connects to that spade, so not sure where my issue is. Has to be a grounding issue.

Also, my black/white wire connects to that spade, so not sure where my issue is. Has to be a grounding issue.
There are many factors, but grounding is a usual culprit. Fusible link is another.

Ian

If you turn the key to "start", do you get 12v on the BW wire at the starter?
Although you measure continuity at zero load, that might not translate into continuity when pulling a few amps.
I'd say you have a good chance of a high resistance due to a dirty ignition switch contact, or a poor connection at the ignition switch connector. Try removing and cleaning.

If you turn the key to "start", do you get 12v on the BW wire at the starter?
Although you measure continuity at zero load, that might not translate into continuity when pulling a few amps.
I'd say you have a good chance of a high resistance due to a dirty ignition switch contact, or a poor connection at the ignition switch connector. Try removing and cleaning.
Great suggestion. I think I'll have to pull the harness out again and really clean off the corrosion throughout the harness.

And confirmed, no power at the BW wire with key on/start. I pulled the harness and there's corrosion galore. I'll spend some time cleaning up and give it another go soon enough. Appreciate the input/help thus far.

More to follow.

So this will be a fun update at my expense...

Reviewing the wiring diagram I didn't quite understand how the ignition switch was getting power. When things should be easy but aren't, I like to go back and check assumptions and I could never shake the feeling the circuit was not completed (I suspected grounding).

Well, a quick review of Coolerman's site for parts revealed the (now) obvious; the gauge cluster ammeter distributes the power to the harness via the fusible link!

Needless to say, the truck now spins the starter via the ignition key, and I'm on my way to finalize my sniper EFI install and give it a go at starting.

Many thanks to revISK, 45 Dougal, and Coolerman for the assist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom