2 60's switched vin plates?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I own two cruisers and I switch vin plates from one to the other, is this legal since I own both vehicles?:hmm:

Yes, it is illegal, but I won't tell.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Last edited:
If I own two cruisers and I switch vin plates from one to the other, is this legal since I own both vehicles?:hmm:
Howdy! No more legal than switching license plates. How you going to change that vin# that's stamped into the frame horn? John

Dont need to change the frame vin since I am keeping both trucks. But I own both, so why is this illegal? Do we live in a communist country now??

Dont need to change the frame vin since I am keeping both trucks. But I own both, so why is this illegal? Do we live in a communist country now??

forget switching them, just pull them off and toss em. then grind the frame numbers off and toss the plates in the trash with the vin tags. who cares, you own both vehicles....

Howdy! I think it has been federal law for a lot of years that vin# is not transferable. I believe that individual states can issue a new vin if the old # is not found, such as custom rides etc. Do you know of any democracies or republics in which it IS legal to play mixnmatch with the vin#s? John

Its illegal because each vehicle is assigned the VIN from the factory as means of identification for registration, insurance etc. The VIN is attached to several places on the vehicle for this reason. Owning the vehicle has nothing to do with the VIN, only the registration. If this were a communist country, you probably would be allowed to own two vehicles, let alone commit a schedule A misdemeanor with either of them.

Why would you switch them anyway? Is one not roadworthy? If that is the case, as soon as you insure and register one or the other, you have commited insurance fraud, which is a felony. Keeping them or not - thinking you can whatever you want with the VINs just because you own them is incorrect. It will bite you in the arse, and the wallet.

It just seems ridiculous. I own both trucks, so it's like telling me that I can't take some rice I bought out of one box and put it in a plastic container.Guess, even tho I own the trucks, I don't own the vin plates huh.

But, I will probably just keep it the way it is..or do all the paper work to get them to issue me another one. Thanks for the info.

Pull 'em and toss 'em, and grind the numbers off the frames. Hmmm.... Steal cars much?

Kidding, of course.

But seriously, again, the point is missed. Ownership does not change VIN laws.

Then it really isn't ownership

sounds like a disgruntled citizen... i agree in more ways than 1, but there are better fights to pick with the man;)

eg smog laws

cars, although there is more red tape, arent nearly as bad as downhill mt biking... we are the hated, which is why we call our team the kings of guerilla downhill... everytime we go biking, we feel like criminals (and im most cases we are... go figure)

why do you want to switch them anyways?

just do what you need to do and keep your mouth shut.
i have a friend that did something simular with a couple of 40 series.
there close enough that you'd really have to know what you're looking at to see anything fishy.
iy's not like you're calling an fj60 a broncoII.

you still own it

Then it really isn't ownership

You own it and do with it what you want but the reason its illegal has nothing to do with ownership, it has to do with that number (VIN) being the permanent identification for the vehicle. Ownership does not extend to using it on roads which you do not own. The priviledge of driving on government roads comes with some responsibilities i.e. registration, insurance, drivers license etc. and those things operate in a manner that require a vehicle be identifiable, not to mention that even though you plan on keeping them both, plans change and other people have the right to know what they are buying. My 2 cents.

You own it and do with it what you want but the reason its illegal has nothing to do with ownership, it has to do with that number (VIN) being the permanent identification for the vehicle. Ownership does not extend to using it on roads which you do not own. The priviledge of driving on government roads comes with some responsibilities i.e. registration, insurance, drivers license etc. and those things operate in a manner that require a vehicle be identifiable, not to mention that even though you plan on keeping them both, plans change and other people have the right to know what they are buying. My 2 cents.

Government road??? The citizens of this country own these roads, not the government. Unless of course we are talking about those who don't pay taxes.

Yes, it is ownership. When you signed your drivvers license in your state of residence, whether you knew it or not, you were agreeing to abide by all the associated laws. It's a big risk. If you were to get an accident 'cause some idiot pulls out in front of you, the insurance investigator will figure out the switch pretty quickly - even if you grind the frame. even grinding the VIN off the frame is illegal. Is it crap? Possibly. But it is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom