2.5"-3" Budget Based Heavy Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want to get a jumpstart on the lift install....try fitting in one of the drop brackets. Unless their jigs/design has changed, I had to do some filing/griding on a couple of the holes to get them to fit. Just so you know if there's extra work there when you are stoked to install springs but have to spend extra time fiddling with the brackets :)

If you want to get a jumpstart on the lift install....try fitting in one of the drop brackets. Unless their jigs/design has changed, I had to do some filing/griding on a couple of the holes to get them to fit. Just so you know if there's extra work there when you are stoked to install springs but have to spend extra time fiddling with the brackets :)

I'll most likely do it all in one shot, but just curious, would there be any issues driving around with the extra caster and no lift :hmm:

I'll most likely do it all in one shot, but just curious, would there be any issues driving around with the extra caster and no lift :hmm:
Probably not much other than heavier steering and possibly some tire wear.

AirLift came through with the replacement bags :cool:

airlift-Warranty.jpg

Now all I need is the actual lift kit :doh:

A little update on this....

I decided to go with a Dobinson kit :)

C59-170 Front Coils
C59-171 Rear Coils
GS59-683 Front Shocks
GS59-682 Rear Shocks
SD59-824 Steering Damper
BA45-005 LSPV Extender

David at Dobinson was very helpful in deciding what coils to go with given all the added weight :cool:

I had placed the order back on the 24th of August :hmm:

Unfortunately, after I pulled the trigger I was informed that they didn't have the rear coils in stock and they had to special order them from down undah :doh:

Said it would be a 10 day wait just for those, but when they arrived, they were the wrong coils and they had to make another order :bang:

The 2nd order is actually due to arrive at Dobinson on the 6th, then they have to ship everything out to me here in NY and I'm hoping to have it all done before a road trip to Orlando in a couple of weeks :oops:

I don't really like cutting things this close and just hope I have everything sorted before I hit the road :steer:

In the meantime, I've been soaking down every bolt and nut with PB Blaster and Kroil every weekend :redface:

I’m interested to see how this turns out for you after all the research, bet you like it. I went with 2” Ironman simply because of the price and the fact my suspension was dangerous, prolly original. Corrected caster with Landtank plates and added the Delta panard bracket in the rear. Super pleased so far.

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

I’m interested to see how this turns out for you after all the research, bet you like it. I went with 2” Ironman simply because of the price and the fact my suspension was dangerous, prolly original. Corrected caster with Landtank plates and added the Delta panard bracket in the rear. Super pleased so far.

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

Was the Delta bracket really necessary for only 2 inches?

Was the Delta bracket really necessary for only 2 inches?

After I installed my suspension I came up to slightly over 22” up front and 23” in the rear on an otherwise stock rig. The suspension change was fantastic but my handling was all over the place. After adding the 2.5” LandTank cater plates the handling improved dramatically but the ass still wanted to wiggle. The Delta bracket solved that wiggle, she’s a joy to drive now.

I’d say get your suspension on and see what it nets you in ride height and drivability. It’s not hard to add the Delta bracket if you think you need it.

Finally arrived today :)

Dobinson-Kit-2.jpg

Dobinson-Kit-1.jpg

Can't really say I was impressed with the packaging :confused:

Wish I had done an unboxing video, but it was late when I picked it up :meh:

With exception of the rear coils being in a brand new box, all of the other boxes were previously opened and taped up loosely with box tape :oops:

3 of the 4 shocks were uncompressed (straps off) poking through their boxes and I had to fish the LSPV bracket and most of the hardware from between the folds of the outer box :bang:

Dobinson-Kit-3.jpg

Dobinson-Kit-5.jpg

That being said, all seems to be accounted for with only a few minor scuffs here and there :cool:

Dobinson-Kit-7.jpg

Dobinson-Kit-8.jpg

One thing I did notice is that the coils are marked left and right instead of driver and passenger :slap:

Going by the before and after measurment check sheet on one of the folds of the rear coil box, it shows an RHD rig :hmm:

20201010-023226.jpg

I assume I'll need to swap sides, to suit an LHD rig, but just want to confirm.....

Not sure on this but I’d measure the springs and place the taller ones on the DS.

Not sure on this but I’d measure the springs and place the taller ones on the DS.

OK, this is where I'm a little confused....

I emailed David at Dobinson last night asking if I should swap sides (OME style) because I have an LHD rig and he agreed.

However, going by this thread, it appears to be the complete opposite :confused:

On to my question: does anyone know for certain if Dobinsons labels their USA-bound springs differently than their domestic (Aus market) springs? Seems like OME's approach (If you're somewhere weird, where people drive on the right side of the road, please reverse your springs) might well apply to Dobinsons springs, but when I called the US distributor during my install, they insisted that right means right, period. Seems like the evidence above confirms what I was told-- that they've adjusted their labels for the LHD US market, but I'd appreciate some confirmation, which would allow me to stop running around my truck in parking lots with a tape measure.

In short, the FAQs on their site may be aimed at their own domestic market--do they run different labeling lines for export springs or are we the exception to "right is right"?

PS--this thread in 80 series tech seems to raise the same question: Dobinson’s 2 Inch?

The longer spring always goes on the longer side of the axle. The difference in springs is because the spring perch on the longer side is slightly lower. It has nothing to do with where the driver sits.

As it sits, the longer front coil is marked "Left"

Both rear coils appear to be identical in height, but are marked Left and Right

I asked David to checkout the other thread just so we can confirm what goes where and just waiting on what he has to say :hmm:

OK, he just got back to me:

Our front and rear coils should have 1/2" offset from side to side. If the taller coil is on the left then mount that coil on the left.

All toyotas have a half inch lean from factory and that is normal, if you end up with 1" lean the coils must be swapped side to side.

Dobinsons Spring & Suspension USA

I guess I'll just go by what the stickers say because the taller front coil is labled "Left" :hmm:

Broke out a measureing tape and both rear coils look to be identical, so I'll just go by the stickers on those as well :meh:

I will be interested to hear how this turns out. We have pretty similar weight trucks. I started with OME heavy with castor correction bushings and ran that for a couple years with new factory shocks. Good ride, shocks weren’t long enough for Arizona trails. Swapped in OME sports and was happy. Stink bug stance always bothered me. Eventually I added spacers to the front to level it out. I found the front would bottom out too often for my liking and the steering always wandered. Swapped in j coils up front, and a set of MAF drop brackets and like what I have now. As another poster stated, the MAF brackets on my truck were a challenge to line up.

I will be interested to hear how this turns out. We have pretty similar weight trucks. I started with OME heavy with castor correction bushings and ran that for a couple years with new factory shocks. Good ride, shocks weren’t long enough for Arizona trails. Swapped in OME sports and was happy. Stink bug stance always bothered me. Eventually I added spacers to the front to level it out. I found the front would bottom out too often for my liking and the steering always wandered. Swapped in j coils up front, and a set of MAF drop brackets and like what I have now. As another poster stated, the MAF brackets on my truck were a challenge to line up.

I actually plan on putting the MAF brackets on first on a flat lift one by one, then move it to a regular lift to do the rest leaving it all loose, then back to the flat lift for proper torque.

How do you like the drop brackets compared to the bushings?

I actually plan on putting the MAF brackets on first on a flat lift one by one, then move it to a regular lift to do the rest leaving it all loose, then back to the flat lift for proper torque.

How do you like the drop brackets compared to the bushings?

Much prefer the handling on the road vs the bushings.

Decided to do the install overnight despite being hungover from attending an early birthday party :redface:

What was supposed to be the easiest part, turned out to be the hardest :oops:

Damn MAF brackets needed quite a bit of grinding and reaming in order to fit :bang:

Apart from that, I only had a couple of broken bolts, but they were on parts I wasn't using again, so no biggie (one of the Metal Tech Spacers and a rear OEM stabilizer link)

Installed the coils as labled

Final measurements after final torque on the flat lift (from flare to center hub):

LF = 22.25"
RF = 22.5"
LR = 22.75"
RR = 22.75"

Looks and drives great with no bad vibes :)

Only niggle is that the streering wheel is off about an inch, but I expected that :meh:

Gunna put some miles on her and let her settle a bit before adjusting the drag link.

20201011-025512.jpg

20201011-072610.jpg

20201011-072706.jpg

20201011-072742.jpg

20201011-084406.jpg

20201011-084418.jpg

20201011-101323.jpg

20201011-101331.jpg

20201011-101339.jpg

Last edited:
Now bad vibes or no bad vibes?

Too damn tired to ninja edit :redface:

She's as smooth as before

There's definitely a top heavy feel to her during a slalom and I gotta get used to the ride height cause I nearly busted my as getting out of the thing, but all in all, she seems good to go :cool:

Looks like it turned out great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom