2.5"-3" Budget Based Heavy Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been in contact with a few vendors and Dobinson actually said their Flexi coils aren't that good for heavy weight and were designed for long travel.

They suggested the Linear coils, but also asked to measure my current rear coils (860) compressed on a level surface to see what would work best for me.

Just measured about ~11.5" from perch to perch

FWIW, there's about 1/4" of rubber donut insulation on top of each spring

20200818-102503-Medium.jpg

20200818-102429-Medium.jpg

I must say, the coating on these things ain't worth a $hite (pure rust) :confused:

They looked so shiny going in lol

fzj80airliftinstall11.jpg

fzj80airliftinstall12.jpg

fzj80airliftinstall18.jpg

Hmm, now that I notice, I had to remove the inner bumpstops to install the bags :hmm:

Would I be ok without them and just outer bump stop extensions? (don't plan on replacing the bags unless absolutely necessary)
I would put the bags back in so you can use as necessary. I still have my "stock height" bags in my 2.5" OME lift and the work just as well.

I would put the bags back in so you can use as necessary. I still have my "stock height" bags in my 2.5" OME lift and the work just as well.

Both bags are shot unfortunately :frown:

I may put in a fresh pair if needed, but in the meantime, will just the outer bumpstops suffice?

Dobinson somehow calculated that I'm 1671lbs. heavy in the rear based on my 860 measurement under load o_O

Had no idea it was that much :doh:

They suggested going with their C59-170/C59-171 coils :hmm:

How do these compare to J's?

Both bags are shot unfortunately :frown:

I may put in a fresh pair if needed, but in the meantime, will just the outer bumpstops suffice?

Dobinson somehow calculated that I'm 1671lbs. heavy in the rear based on my 860 measurement under load o_O

Had no idea it was that much :doh:

They suggested going with their C59-170/C59-171 coils :hmm:

How do these compare to J's?
I agree that you need to run it across a scale.

I am about 6200 and don't have a front bumper, no roof rack, no special rear bumper.
I have a 12k Badlands winch in the front and a 125 lb wheelchair lift on the rear and I still have the rear seats in the truck and spare underneath. I regularly carry about 400 lb of tools and crap. Included in the weight above.

When I carry the wheelchair, It adds 400 lbs 24" away from the rear bumper.

I think stick curb weight is 5400 lb.

My truck weighed the same as a few other guys with fully kitted rigs but no cargo.

Check with airlift. I got a new set of bags for free when I called them about one blowing out. I still use mine when I know I'm going to haul a heavy load or the wheelchair.

Before finalizing a spring choice I'd swing by the scale for some real weight data.
I agree that you need to run it across a scale.

I am about 6200 and don't have a front bumper, no roof rack, no special rear bumper.
I have a 12k Badlands winch in the front and a 125 lb wheelchair lift on the rear and I still have the rear seats in the truck and spare underneath. I regularly carry about 400 lb of tools and crap. Included in the weight above.

When I carry the wheelchair, It adds 400 lbs 24" away from the rear bumper.

I think stick curb weight is 5400 lb.

My truck weighed the same as a few other guys with fully kitted rigs but no cargo.

Check with airlift. I got a new set of bags for free when I called them about one blowing out. I still use mine when I know I'm going to haul a heavy load or the wheelchair.

Just got back from having her weighed after having a senior moment :doh:

3020 lbs. up front

3400 lbs. out back

97-Cruiser-Weight-Slip.jpg

Dobinson was right on the money for total weight, but that wasn't just on rear :hmm:

Anyways, so far I've got it down to 2 choices....

OME 3" Heavy Kit ("J")
850J Front Coils
863J Rear Springs
Nitrocharger Sport Long Shocks 60070L X 2 / 60071L X 2
OMESD24 Stabilizer
OMECA77B Caster kit (which I won't be using)

Total: $989.99 shipped

OR

Dobinson 3" Linear Coil Kit
C59-170 Front Coils
C59-171 Rear Coils
GS45-912 Twin Tube Front Shocks
GS59-687 Twin Tube Rear Shocks
SD59-824 Steering Damper

Total: $1245.00 shipped (subtract $40 bucks if I go with standard length shocks)

I know this started off as a budget lift, but I can honestly go either way at this point, so I'm gunna let you guys decide :smokin:

What say you, Mud? :popcorn:

Just got back from having her weighed after having a senior moment :doh:

3020 lbs. up front

3400 lbs. out back

97-Cruiser-Weight-Slip.jpg

Dobinson was right on the money for total weight, but that wasn't just on rear :hmm:

Anyways, so far I've got it down to 2 choices....

OME 3" Heavy Kit ("J")
850J Front Coils
863J Rear Springs
Nitrocharger Sport Long Shocks 60070L X 2 / 60071L X 2
OMESD24 Stabilizer
OMECA77B Caster kit (which I won't be using)

Total: $989.99 shipped

OR

Dobinson 3" Linear Coil Kit
C59-170 Front Coils
C59-171 Rear Coils
GS45-912 Twin Tube Front Shocks
GS59-687 Twin Tube Rear Shocks
SD59-824 Steering Damper

Total: $1245.00 shipped (subtract $40 bucks if I go with standard length shocks)

I know this started off as a budget lift, but I can honestly go either way at this point, so I'm gunna let you guys decide :smokin:

What say you, Mud? :popcorn:
You don't really NEED a steering damper unless yours is worn out.

OME Nitro shocks are known to have about a 2 year to 5 year life. IDK about Dobinson. (Are the Dobinson rebuildable?)

I'm happy with my OME for the load carrying and DD I do. I don;t have experience with Dobinson, so I cannot speak to that.

If I was going to re-do mine, I would stay with the stock Tokico steering damper, and use the softer Nitro shocks instead of the Nitro 60070 units. With my lift and truck use, I COULD stay with the stock Tokico's, but I am not sure on travel specs. They are less $$$ than the Nitro's.

IMO OME has lots of years of load-carrying history all over the world. That's why I chose them.

I don't have a heavy rig like yours, and I won't cast an official vote. But I will say this: I have seen more Mudders remove OME to go with a different setup (Dobinson, slinky, ICON, Tough Dog, etc) than any other suspension. I have also seen relatively few mudders remove any of the other suspension systems mentioned and replace with OME (except those going "back to stock" with 861/862). That could mean one of two things 1) OME leaves something to be desired and many people eventually move on to something else or 2) OME so dominated the market in the past that everybody and their grandmother had OME suspension. When people eventually moved on, it was pretty much the only thing they could be moving from.

FWIW, I removed my OME setup in favor of something else, but apples/oranges since I don't carry any weight.

I don't have a heavy rig like yours, and I won't cast an official vote. But I will say this: I have seen more Mudders remove OME to go with a different setup (Dobinson, slinky, ICON, Tough Dog, etc) than any other suspension. I have also seen relatively few mudders remove any of the other suspension systems mentioned and replace with OME (except those going "back to stock" with 861/862). That could mean one of two things 1) OME leaves something to be desired and many people eventually move on to something else or 2) OME so dominated the market in the past that everybody and their grandmother had OME suspension. When people eventually moved on, it was pretty much the only thing they could be moving from.

FWIW, I removed my OME setup in favor of something else, but apples/oranges since I don't carry any weight.
I think those are valid points.

Also, many of the newer companies are more geared to the rock crawling type secnario so they are longer and more flexible, whereas the OME was more "eauverlaunding" and load-carrying based, not flexing.

Again, it comes back to use.

For me, I'm not flexing or eauverlaunding. I'm filling my truck with crap and driving all over.

Sounds like Dobinson made the proper recommendation which would inspire confidence in their products as well. Skimp on $200 difference in cost just doesn't make sense taking into account the twin tube shocks would better dampen your load.

If you're down to two choices I'd go Dobinsons.

I run their gas shocks and am happy with both the performance and longevity. Also, my previous OME springs lasted only a few years before they began to sag too much--wasn't impressed.

While I have no experience with Dobinsons, I've been running the OME J lift you're considering since 2011. I'm not as heavy as you, but I'm looking to move away from the OME to a progressive rate spring for a more comfortable ride. That difference between the two kits might make your decision easier.

I’ve got a set of j springs I will sell for cheap.

You don't really NEED a steering damper unless yours is worn out.

OME Nitro shocks are known to have about a 2 year to 5 year life. IDK about Dobinson. (Are the Dobinson rebuildable?)

I'm happy with my OME for the load carrying and DD I do. I don;t have experience with Dobinson, so I cannot speak to that.

If I was going to re-do mine, I would stay with the stock Tokico steering damper, and use the softer Nitro shocks instead of the Nitro 60070 units. With my lift and truck use, I COULD stay with the stock Tokico's, but I am not sure on travel specs. They are less $$$ than the Nitro's.

IMO OME has lots of years of load-carrying history all over the world. That's why I chose them.

The one I have is a few years old, but it's just a regular Monroe replacement :hmm:

Sounds like Dobinson made the proper recommendation which would inspire confidence in their products as well. Skimp on $200 difference in cost just doesn't make sense taking into account the twin tube shocks would better dampen your load.

I know this should be a question for Dobinson, but could you explain the "twin tube" shocks?

I haven't been able to find a cutaway of how they work

Back in the day, monotubes were more heavy duty than dual tube, but it's probably been about 20 years since I've looked into this...

If you're down to two choices I'd go Dobinsons.

I run their gas shocks and am happy with both the performance and longevity. Also, my previous OME springs lasted only a few years before they began to sag too much--wasn't impressed.

Yeah, my OME 860's didn't last and I'm not at all impressed with the coating turning to rust.

Can you tell if the Dobinson coating is any better?

While I have no experience with Dobinsons, I've been running the OME J lift you're considering since 2011. I'm not as heavy as you, but I'm looking to move away from the OME to a progressive rate spring for a more comfortable ride. That difference between the two kits might make your decision easier.

Dobinson actually suggested not going with the Flexi coils cause they don't like heavy weight

The one I have is a few years old, but it's just a regular Monroe replacement :hmm:

I know this should be a question for Dobinson, but could you explain the "twin tube" shocks?

I haven't been able to find a cutaway of how they work

Back in the day, monotubes were more heavy duty than dual tube, but it's probably been about 20 years since I've looked into this...

Yeah, my OME 860's didn't last and I'm not at all impressed with the coating turning to rust.

Can you tell if the Dobinson coating is any better?

Dobinson actually suggested not going with the Flexi coils cause they don't like heavy weight

For springs, I switched from OME to Tourflex, and am very happy with the Tourflex. My next choices were Dobinsons or Slinky.

For shocks, I've been running Dobinsons gas; they've been great, and I really like them paired with the Tourflex.

Been trying to call them for the last week and can't get through :confused:

I'm usually the 35+ person in line (automated) and have waited over an hour only to get down to the last 15 before calling it quits :bang:

Left countless messages and emails with nothing in return :meh:

Question on coil insulators.

I know the rears have them and I'll probably order a new set since I don't know their current condition, but can't remember if the front had them when I installed the Metal Tech spacers :hmm:

Do they even come with front insulators?

I need to know this too. When I removed my suspension I was missing the fronts.

IIRC no front isolators here, reused the rears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom