2.2 kw 2.0 kw and 1.4 kw starters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a used 2.2 kw starter from voorland80 (many thanks again!). I thought it would be nice to see how the starters compared in size so I lined them up. Pretty impressive how big the 2.2 is
starter.jpg

Jeez that thing is a monster. The 2.2 is useable on the FZ?

Is that for a diesel? Sorry, I just don't have a clue on starters.

2.2 was factory on 93's only.

Jeez that thing is a monster. The 2.2 is useable on the FZ?

Is that for a diesel? Sorry, I just don't have a clue on starters.

The diesel one is much bigger.

My Jap import '93 had a weedy 1.4kw, swapped it with the 2kw on the 95 that went to Zambia (coldest it gets on winter nights is about 10 degrees, normally more like 30 deg - so no problem with cold starts there).
'93 starts much better in UK winters with the bigger motor!

Not a whole bunch bigger as the PZ/HZ/HD-T starters are 2.5kW for 12V and 4.5kW for 24V.

I was holding a diesel starter for an HJ-60 in my hand 2 weeks ago at 4x4 Labs, and it was easily double the size of the largest starter pictured here. The solenoid section is roughly the same, but the motor was huge. It was from an HJ60 originally sold in Germany.

Not a whole bunch bigger as the PZ/HZ/HD-T starters are 2.5kW for 12V and 4.5kW for 24V.

I was holding a diesel starter for an HJ-60 in my hand 2 weeks ago at 4x4 Labs, and it was easily double the size of the largest starter pictured here. The solenoid section is roughly the same, but the motor was huge. It was from an HJ60 originally sold in Germany.

The 24V 4.5kW starter in my 1HD-T cruiser and the spare one on the shelf are not a whole bunch bigger than 2.2kW one in the OP:
2c_1_sbl.jpg

The 24V 4.5kW starter in my 1HD-T cruiser and the spare one on the shelf are not a whole bunch bigger than 2.2kW one in the OP:

I'll have to get a pic next time I'm there!

Hmmm, so the 2.2kW will work on all 80 models?

Is this available in the US?

All 1FZ-FE for sure. It was only available in 93.

I have an extra one that I don't immediately need if you have to have one. Been rebuilt too.

I am interested. How much you asking for the 2.2kw starter?

I have the 2.2kw on my 96 1FZFE with no worries. Starts up nicely, especially in the cold. That ring around the gear is part of the starter. When you turn the key, the gear is pushed out of that ring (by the plunger) and engages with the flywheel.

I just got the plunger and contacts and they are supposed to be the same for the 1.4kw or the 2.0 kw. We shall soon see, depending upon how hard this starter removal thing really is. My attendance at my best friends band is highly dependent upon this not taking forever, ie a couple hours, we shall see.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom