1st time 40 buyer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time 40 buyer. Looking for some buying help near Enterprise, Alabama.
• inspection
• vehicle info
• etc.

VEHICLE INFO LINK
969C7CE4-CD64-4E36-B147-5DF58887AF49.png

I only briefly looked at the photo you posted, but, like many FJ40s on the market these days, to be marketed towards folks who aren’t experienced in dealing with FJ40s. Others will pipe in with some of the obvious issues with this rig, but I’d recommend a hard pass on this one at that price

Nope, pass. Dodgy repair to the rocker, checker plate on the rear of the tub hiding stuff probably, person who painted the truck was too lazy to remove the indicators or even mask them off, looks like it's had a smash or something funky going on with the alignment of the panels. And the worst, those wheels are appalling

Nope, pass. Dodgy repair to the rocker, checker plate on the rear of the tub hiding stuff probably, person who painted the truck was too lazy to remove the indicators or even mask them off, looks like it's had a smash or something funky going on with the alignment of the panels. And the worst, those wheels are appalling
Thank you for the education.

I only briefly looked at the photo you posted, but, like many FJ40s on the market these days, to be marketed towards folks who aren’t experienced in dealing with FJ40s. Others will pipe in with some of the obvious issues with this rig, but I’d recommend a hard pass on this one at that price
thank you. I had pre negotiated a sub 15k price.

There are too many things obiviously wrong with it, which would indicate there are probably many more hidden issues. No wipers, No side mirrors, extra holes/screw heads along with the dents in the hood, panels alignments, bolts and washers holding on the dash pad, reflectors and side marker lights are all wrong, no heat, just to name a few. As others have said, "RUN AWAY", it's a pos. Rhino lining and aluminum panels are a good way to hide rust.

Last edited:
The damaged hood and drivers side front fender seem odd, given how shiny the rest of it looks.
All the gaps between panels look wrong, uneven, badly aligned. And based on how well mine all seem to line up with half the bolts missing, or the number of pictures of these things coming out of junk yards fitted better than that, I hope you're going to physically inspect this thing first.
The horn in the wrong place and rear brake line crossing the firewall with different hold downs is different. Not really a problem per say, but just makes me stop and wonder why, and what else was done "different" that might really matter.
No heater. But still looks like heater hose and some other kinda shutoff valve with some cables tied to it on the firewall near where the fan and heater hose going through the firewall should be.
The other trucks I've seen sold for that kinda money weren't full of dents and had original motors (and no bedliner, black painted firewalls, or aluminum corners).
Some of it's just personal taste... I kinda like the styling with the wheels, maybe those a little too big (I have 17" rims on mine). That bench seat fits great in a restoration, but just doesn't match the 20" wheels. And I'm sure it's a fun truck to drive. But there's a lot of other choices out there for a lot less money that are probably better condition. (at least, I think there are, there sure used to be).
And a ground on the radiator, especially with the horn moved, I'd bet it's full of electrical gremlins....

My opinion...but you asked for opinions:

In addition to what may be wrong mechanically... that 40 is pure ugly. No getting around it...ugly.🆘🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom