1st Gen Body on 3rd Gen 4Runner Chassis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who's completed swapping an 84-89 1st Gen Body onto to a 96-02 4Runner chassis? I love the running gear of that generation Tacoma / 4Runner but don't love the 4-door enclosed steel shell of the 3rd Gen 4 Runner.

With how lazy Toyota is with making changes to their trucks, I can't image it's that hard to swap one over. Heck, I saw an episode of hot rod garage where Lucky and Tony swapped an F100 body onto a Crown Vic chassis (yeah, that one was not *easy*). If they can do that swap, somebody's got to have done a 1st to 3rd gen body to frame swap.

I found a post about a shop / person called Irbis doing a swap back around 2008, but the website is down that links to it and there is no other info I can find. Surprised this swap is so rare.

Pictures and links please.

I get where you’re coming from, but maybe just swap a 3.4 into the 1st Gen?

Just swapping in the 3.4 is much easier, however,... you get more modern suspension with the 3rd Gen chassis (coil over front suspension, coil rear, rack and pinion steering :cool: , plus all the wear parts are a decade+ newer. There's nothing wrong with Rack and Pinion that I know of and coil suspension is superior to torsion bar (all modern vehicles use coil based suspension, none that I know use torsion bar).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom