1st gen 4runner brake line rupture near fuel tank: Routing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Devilmans Hand

TLCA #19517
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
Hey Folks

Just got the notorious brake line rupture in one of the two brake lines that run along the inside passenger frame rail adjacent to the fuel tank.

Now comes my question

Should i just buy or build stock replacement lines with the original Toyota routing, which seems to be a pita to install? In my brief interweb research i've heard mention of just bending your own line and routing it along the outside of the passenger frame. How best can i balance line protection from rocks and grit while minimizing the hassle of install? Does anyone have some handy pictures or diagrams on how they routed their two lines?
As of now i want to keep the load proportioning valve back there.
I have a v6 front caliper swap, bigger MC, and dual diaphram booster, and stock rear drums at the moment if that matters.

Thanks for any useful input

Interesting, when mine blew, I was able to get it at the dealer. Perhaps have the Dealer look at there parts diagram to pull the part number. They should be the same line for 85-89 4 Runners. Looking at some online parts diagrams, the brake line part number is 47322-35400 and be about $42. It is the line that connects to the Load Sensing Valve on the frame from the connection on the frame in the front.

That was my understanding too. Beno said they were available but he could not ship them w/o them getting destroyed and the dealership by me said they were unavailable for my vin. I'm less inclined to believe my dealership parts guy. I have all the parts to build the lines now, so all I have to do is get bending. Costs me the same, but now I have a double flare kit and a usable bender. I figure I'll replace both lines since they're a PITA to access. I had just replaced a section of fuel line in the same area about two months ago due to rot.

I was in the same boat, but the other way around. Had replaced the lines and then the fuel line rusted out at the top of the tank.

so I removed the old lines w/o having to drop the tank by just chopping them in a couple places.
New lines routed along the top of the frame and along the outside above the sliders, then routed back inside of the frame rear of the fuel tank opposite the rear wheel well. Way easier to route them this way and they're better protected. Just wish I made one of the lines a couple inches longer for better strain relief. I might remake that one later now that im confident in my line building skills. I'll probably wrap the lines in split rubber hose at contact points and fasten them to the frame with clips or zip ties.

Pics come later once I get help bleeding everything.

Also made some handy block off lines to close the junctions forward of the lines i replaced for servicing. Just flared one end of a small section of line with a 10mm-1 fitting then crushed and folded the other end shut. I'll probably make four more from the old lines, pass them out on a trail ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom