1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st (for me) Oil Change for my LC

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by TimTX, May 16, 2018 at 11:49 PM.

1. TimTX

TimTX

My 99 has 253K miles and the PO gave me all the records. I’m up to date on all maintinance...but now I need to get my first oil change. Ive had it about 5K miles and doing a 1K mile road trip this weekend.

It has conventional, as it was changed at the Ford Dealer I bought it from. Oil (all fluids) was checked by LC mechanic a couple weeks ago and he said it was good.

I’m thinking High Mileage Mobil 1 with a M1 filter based on the what I’ve read here. Ive had good experience at Toyota dealers using their standard oil/filter. Does the dealer to M1 Synthetic Oil/Filter? Is Toyota Synthetic Oil/Filter OK? Should I find a Mobil 1 Quick Lube around? Or, should I let it go as mechanic said oil is still good?

How can you look forward to a 1K mile Road Trip in a 19 year old vehicle? Simple, do it in a Land Cruiser! I’ve only put 5K on mine but look for every opportunity to drive it.

Thoughts?

2. outdoorsman

outdoorsman

Mobil 1 oil 5W-30 is a good choice. You can use a Mobil 1 filter, OEM filter or a Wix filter which is probably better.

Easy to change yourself but you can get anyone you trust to change it for you.

With the high mileage I would not stretch the oil and filter changes to far apart.

3. BudgetLC

BudgetLC

I've driven Toyota's for years and learned early on to use OEM filters. Granted, I've never used WIX or Mobil 1 filters but I found the oil pressure always built up faster on startup with the OEM over aftermarket (better back-flow preventer?). I don't know if it holds true for the 4.7 compared to the 4's & 6's in the older Toyota's I've owned but I figure you can't go wrong with Toyota OEM. I usually buy a case of ten online for $30-35 which makes them about as cheap as any other filter I can get.

catz likes this.
  4. TimTX

TimTX

Toyota filter...check

Do I go Synthetic or conventional? Also, Mobil 1 or

5. ibrahim83

ibrahim83

Some might think I'm crazy, but I've developed a rear main seal leak since buying the truck and the only thing different i did was switch to synthetic for 18k

I've gone back to regular since then and regret messing with that. I even use toyota filters and oil.

I know others that have used synthetic will no ill effects.

6. biggus

biggus

Unless you have oil leaks do not use high mileage oil unless you plan to use it exclusively in the future as well. The seal conditioners may cause your seals to swell up then shrink causing leaks you wouldn't have had otherwise.

For a 5k interval a good quality Dino oil is just fine especially with our large sumps. I like Castrol 5w30 magnatech semi synthetic oil. Great price and works as advertised.

7. atnolan94

atnolan94 Life is too short for traffic SILVER Star

When you go to toyota to get your filter, go ahead and get a new crush washer for the drain plug, and might as well get a new drain plug. It'll be really cheap insurance. I have had some very bad experiences with oil pans getting drained from bad drain plugs and crush washers.

8. 2001LC

2001LC

Do not use High Mileage (HP) OILs, they have petroleum based seal modifiers, that if used for two oil changes (6K to 10K miles) must always be used (like opium to your seals). This is according to Mobil One.

Mobile One (M1) guarantees your engine when using M1 Extended Performance (EP) provided the M1 EP oil filter is used. It's one of the only oil filters with a synthetic filter element. EP oil is good for 20K miles or 1 year. Personally I never go more than 6K miles with synthetic, or 3K with conventional oils. No oil should be left in engine more than 1 year, no matter how many miles. Conventional filters should not be used more than ~5k miles.

Toyota OEM oil filters claim to have a check valve in them, IDK. I've not noticed any difference with OEM or M1 filters on start up.

Notes:
    Synthetic oils don't break down, leaving carbon deposit (gunk) like conventional oil. Synthetics oils & lubes will clean gunk deposit out over time, which may reveal seal in which the plasticizer has leached out (dried up rubber seals). Once gunk cleaned out seals "may" leak (not an issue I've had). AT-205 re-seal can bring them back to life.

I agree, always replace drain plug gasket (washer).

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    atnolan94 likes this.
  9. atnolan94

atnolan94 Life is too short for traffic SILVER Star

Thanks, Forgot Toyota calls it a drain plug gasket :)

10. bamabrock

bamabrock Ain’t Life Grand SILVER Star

11. TimTX

TimTX

At the dealer, going to do a Conventional Oil change. Nothing fancy. I could do it myself but living in apt while building a house makes it tough.