1st FJ40, Long TIme Toyota Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After Trolling on this forum for years i was finally able to find what i think is the perfect 40 for me. Thanks to @overton and all his candy store full of 1982 40's i was able to find this beauty thru him. Love the history of it, Love the originality of it, Love the patina and rust. Especially love the running gear of the 82's. I am posting this a little premature as my son currently has it in California and did all the groundwork for me and dealt with a super legit owner who understands and did all the correct upgrades and mechanical necessities on it. Not sure when i can get it back to Minnesota and more importantly get it away from my son. Thanks for letting me hang out for a while and gain a world of knowledge on these beauties. Not sure if Jonathan Ward of TLC/ICON follows this forum but his videos where really a driving force in me wanting one of these and as circumstances have it he actually once upon a time owned this one. I even reached out to him to see if he had any paperwork on it and he personally responded with yes he did own it back in 1999 and sold it, but alas no database worth of paperwork. Again, thanks to all for a fantastic group.

8C1A4B2E-C5C6-47D7-A289-A9BF62D3E82D.jpeg

Last edited:
69145061-1EC9-45A3-8C4E-BD49A65E0DD3.jpeg
Finally got my 40 back to Minnesota with fantastic service from Aaron @Riverrunner at Summit. Very new to this type of blogging but would love to hear some opinions on this. The PO claimed all original paint on this truck and I don't really seem any reason to doubt him. My dilemma is not with the rust and dings of an original rig it actually was a big part of the reason I bought it. I just don't want it to get worse. The PO had done some extensive detailing to get it to were it's at and from 10 feet it's gorgeous. Paint is smooth and semi-shiny. I have read the patina thread and the different opinions on Fluid Film but don't really want the slimy oil treatment on the paint. Some guys at work tonight suggested a good heavy wax will help keep it at bay. Just not sure what would be best. It will be kept in a heated garage for the brutal Minnesota winters.

90D326F9-C148-44DB-A348-AF35E03F077F.jpeg

Last edited:
On the outside of the body, I would do some research on rust converters (ospho?), either that or leave it alone. Underneath, I would do the fluid film, that will help out with the seams and such where the rust begins. I reapply it once a year before the rainy season, and yeah keeping it away from the salt is ideal!

Are those tires 31s or 33s? Looks good!

On the outside of the body, I would do some research on rust converters (ospho?), either that or leave it alone. Underneath, I would do the fluid film, that will help out with the seams and such where the rust begins. I reapply it once a year before the rainy season, and yeah keeping it away from the salt is ideal!

Are those tires 31s or 33s? Looks good!

33"s. Yea luckily the PO did extensive undercarriage detailing when he redid the suspension. Really just want to leave it but worried just getting the rust wet will energize the rust " It never sleeps"
A8BEAD55-127E-4629-8CBB-15FD00FE2AA9.jpeg

I have similar rust on my 83 and like you have no desire to cut it out, actually I quite like it.

I typically take some time every fall to clean up the rust stained painted surfaces with clr and treat anything I can see with rust converter (per the patina thread). I didn’t find linseed oil to be worth the time but ymmv. I also wash and spray everything underneath with fluid film. Mine isn’t garaged and is driven unapologetically in the rain, snow, and salt. The rust has gotten worse since I’ve owned it but I’ve been able to keep it contained to the quarters and mostly out of the rear sill and doors which is good enough for me

View attachment 2822315Finally got my 40 back to Minnesota with fantastic service from Aaron @Riverrunner at Summit. Very new to this type of blogging but would love to hear some opinions on this. The PO claimed all original paint on this truck and I don't really seem any reason to doubt him. My dilemma is not with the rust and dings of an original rig it actually was a big part of the reason I bought it. I just don't want it to get worse. The PO had done some extensive detailing to get it to were it's at and from 10 feet it's gorgeous. Paint is smooth and semi-shiny. I have read the patina thread and the different opinions on Fluid Film but don't really want the slimy oil treatment on the paint. Some guys at work tonight suggested a good heavy wax will help keep it at bay. Just not sure what would be best. It will be kept in a heated garage for the brutal Minnesota winters.

View attachment 2822317

You might consider just using Penetrol on the rusted areas. Most of the rust converters will turn the rust black. I regret doing that in a few places on mine. The Penetrol doesn't remain slimy/wet. It sets up and hardens within a day or two. It is still an oil product that will seal out moisture. It will keep the rust/patina color and look.

I have similar rust on my 83 and like you have no desire to cut it out, actually I quite like it.

I typically take some time every fall to clean up the rust stained painted surfaces with clr and treat anything I can see with rust converter (per the patina thread). I didn’t find linseed oil to be worth the time but ymmv. I also wash and spray everything underneath with fluid film. Mine isn’t garaged and is driven unapologetically in the rain, snow, and salt. The rust has gotten worse since I’ve owned it but I’ve been able to keep it contained to the quarters and mostly out of the rear sill and doors which is good enough for me
Just a little nervous about the fluid film as I have heard it stinks. One of my favorite things about my 40 is it has no old car smells when I am running around especially with my wife.

You might consider just using Penetrol on the rusted areas. Most of the rust converters will turn the rust black. I regret doing that in a few places on mine. The Penetrol doesn't remain slimy/wet. It sets up and hardens within a day or two. It is still an oil product that will seal out moisture. It will keep the rust/patina color and look.
4F951CBB-552C-484A-BB2C-9606524727F4.jpeg

This must be the stuff ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom