Builds 1st FJ40, '76 - SMOKEY - Puttin’ her Back Together (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The tub awaits more welding in of new panels. Been...oh... 24 months since I touched that.

79195625-0E55-429F-8D70-E39633DEA37F.jpeg
AD3CD573-5634-4E24-A8E1-1A493726D375.jpeg

Me? I would do driveshafts and mount the body.

Yea, I should put those back on as well. Was almost the first thing I did... will be nice to get them off the shelf.

Been...oh... 24 months since I touched that.

Yea, I should put those back on as well. Was almost the first thing I did... will be nice to get them off the shelf.

Turning the corner of the 'pile-o-parts' is a very satisfying thing. Mine wasn't a just put it back together thing, it was more put it together, take it apart, repeat a couple of times fitting, applying paint, refitting, fixing scratches, etc...

Scott to make an earlier question plain, did you install the throwout bearing while you were installing the transmission ? There was no throwout bearing visible in any of your pictures .

Scott to make an earlier question plain, did you install the throwout bearing while you were installing the transmission ? There was no throwout bearing visible in any of your pictures .

76 - hmmm. I really don't remember, which makes me think maybe I missed it. I'll have to check. Thanks for asking again.

Last edited:

76 - hmmm. I really don't remember, which makes me think maybe I missed it. I'll have to check. Thanks for asking again.

2nd this- I didn’t see a clutch fork but I was hoping it was just the photo angle. I hope we are wrong! I had a heck of a time getting my transmission stabbed - not something I’d look forward to needing to do again - darn thing is heavy!

Well bugger me. Yes I completely left off the clutch fork. Finally located it, replaced the release bearing (thank you HF 20ton press), and am ready to pull the trans back off to put the fork back in.

Gives me a chance to check everything one more time (that's what I'll keep telling myself).

Now I have to remember where the fork retaining bolt is, and where it attaches to. It's been a loooonnngg time since I removed it. Took pics, which has been helpful. Toyota Repair Manuals don't really show where that bolt goes that I've found yet. Anyone know where that is referenced?

9665581C-4CA3-44C2-A3E6-F7E6EC076E4F.jpeg
1F975393-6999-4597-B1DF-E5CEFDC39DAC.jpeg
D6F79674-9D06-411E-B637-F5ED4D322725.jpeg
7B6846EB-9C02-48C7-B8BC-4B3963550BA6.jpeg

Gents
My tranny Top plate was removed by someone elese and now i am putting it back together. I have 3 springs and 3 ball bearings....

Can someone please tell me where the ball bearing go? I see the spring location as per photo. Does the ball bearings go under each of the springs?

Much appreciated. Looked all over the site and did not find the exact answer I’m looking for.

Philip

View attachment 755204
Finally, removed the shift lever by removing the top plate on the transmission. When I did, I noticed the springs that were there - what are these for? And of course, as I was removing them, I dropped one down in the transmission body.

[/QUOTE]

Gents
My tranny Top plate was removed by someone elese and now i am putting it back together. I have 3 springs and 3 ball bearings....

Can someone please tell me where the ball bearing go? I see the spring location as per photo. Does the ball bearings go under each of the springs?

Much appreciated. Looked all over the site and did not find the exact answer I’m looking for.

Philip

Here you go. FSM. LMK if it's too small, I can blow it up.

14284B0F-C960-423E-AD77-28BDE5423439.png

0D833544-56BC-49FE-8002-135F999C8673.png

Scott the the clutch fork pivot is bolted to the inside of the bellhousing. You probably did not remove it. There would have been no need to.

Finally found and hour to put in the clutch fork that my Mud friends so rightly pointed out I forgot.

Being a first timer, I’m going to screw up! That’s half the joy of it.

I happened to find the clutch fork retaining post in a can of hardware I’d media blasted back in the fall last night. I knew I’d taken it off but didn’t even remember what it looked like.

Went ahead and painted it.

This wasn’t too much of a pain in the butt. Put a little grease on the collar inside and the sleeve on the input shaft. Just a little.

Also a little dab on the head of the post where it mates to the fork.

13350573-EE5D-4E2E-8EFE-023A22509907.jpeg

2FAD3663-CA9A-440B-ADB6-85D796210AE3.jpeg

AAB490B8-DF69-484F-B8E4-D092999242D4.jpeg

Pittman arm nut: anyone know the correct size for this? I need to touch up the threads on the Pittman arm. Nut measures 20.4mm inside. Threads are 1.5. Is it 20 or 21mm?

Oh, also sent Coolerman my wiring harnesses! I've been emailing him since 2016 about this!

No idea if these posts are correct.

The land cruiser nut is common to all 40 and 55 series from 1969 to 1986. It is 22 x 1.50 mm--
toyota part number 90170-22058

I don't know about the minitruck.

I came up with a solution to the nut issue, seems the threads on the under side of the splined shaft of the PS steering box were damaged and caused the threads of the nut to become striped. I was able to locate a 22mm x 1.50 tap and die set, which wasn’t easy and fixed the threads on the shaft and on the inside of the nut. It all went back together fine and is up and running nicely.

Should I be concerned about the nylon nuts I used? I used flat washer under and behind the nuts and bolts also lock-tight on the threads. Thanks for all the helpful comments!

JT
View attachment 449520View attachment 449521View attachment 449522

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom