1st ever Mechanical breakdown (Timing chain) any cruiser I've ever owned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
As title states, this is my first ever mechanical breakdown in more than 2 decades of owning land cruisers of all series'. I have owned 40s-200's and have done plenty of preventative maintenance on all drivetrain components of all cruisers (diffs, t-cases, trannies, engines) but almost all work was preventative. Sure I have replaced wear and tear items such as starters, alternators, steering pumps, fuel pumps, head gaskets etc. But today at 302k miles, the 1fzfe quit on me . When I went to start one of my 80s this morning (1993 Land Cruiser), it started for a split second and then clack clack bump, engine turned off/died. Opened up the hood and right away smelled like unburned fuel.. Went to start again and starter rotates bottom end of engine with no abnorm noises, but will not fire up. I am 99% sure the timing chain failed or tensioner/s. I am going to unbolt 2 bolts that hold tensioner in place and see if I see a loose guide plate or ? Then most likely valve cover and then head if I confirm the culprit.. Do I have to pull the oil pan off to get oil pump cover/timing chain cover off? I am about to pull out fsm as its been awhile since I've wrenched on the 1fz. Just had quick question on the oil pan.. I am still in shock, but at 302k miles on a otherwise neglected 80 (from previous owners) that I bought at 284k, I am surprised it didn't go sooner.. Poor little engine that could, waited to surpass the 300k mark before it finally had a hick up. And of all places, in my driveway so I was not to get stranded! Now it's getting a new head gasket and the works...Any advice on timing chain/tensioners replacment?

Last edited:
Yes you have to pull the upper oil Pan to get the timing cover off. You can do this without pulling the head. Its not a fun job but can be done. Hit me up if you have questions I have done this and a couple rebuilds(currently in the middle of a 94 complete rebuild). Good luck

Hate to hear that but sounds like the cruiser gods were still playing fair.

This is not the white 93 that you’ve had for a decade plus?

I “think” you do have to pull upper pan but am not certain. Lemme look though some old pics and hunt for a particular broken chain thread.

Still digging but found this nugget from lextronix
Not concrete proof but maybe hope. Though I see fj80oregon’s post above and he’s def been in a few of these lately.
E32A27D1-751E-49F9-97F6-FFF5F0F1DC91.png

Hate to hear that but sounds like the cruiser gods were still playing fair.

This is not the white 93 that you’ve had for a decade plus?

I “think” you do have to pull upper pan but am not certain. Lemme look though some old pics and hunt for a particular broken chain thread.

Hey Jason, no it is not. That one has been a tank! About to be my daily driver again after this. I bought another 80 like 5 years ago and basically rebuilt diffs and t case, solenoids in t-mission along with all service parts on engine minus head gasket.. This rig was neglected to say the least, but still rolled over 300k miles..

20220401_121834.jpg

Not concrete proof but maybe hope. Though I see fj80oregon’s post above and he’s def been in a few of these lately.
View attachment 3205915
Thanks bro for the search! Good point on pulling pans out as there might be debris from guide plates or tensioner.. I am pretty sure I am going to pull head and pan....Oh man, never ends...

Thanks bro for the search! Good point on pulling pans out as there might be debris from guide plates or tensioner.. I am pretty sure I am going to pull head and pan....Oh man, never ends...
Man if your pulling both, just pull the motor at that point. Sure it will take more work to pull the motor but it will make doing the others tasks, HG, oil pan, and timing cover 4 times faster. The upper oil pan is a bear in the truck as you have to Jack up the front of the motor to get it clear. Sounds like you have plenty of wrenching experience. Just my two sense. You gotta do the work! If your ordering parts get them from partsouq they are half the price if not more than a dealer.

View attachment 3205915
@jfz80 Thread high Jack! Your brothers truck is what sent me spiraling down the cruiser hole! And I will Not be returning! Hope everything is going well!

@jfz80 Thread high Jack! Your brothers truck is what sent me spiraling down the cruiser hole! And I will Not be returning! Hope everything is going well!
Doing well here. Thanks!

He wants it back lol. Seems to totally discount/not recollect my advice to rebuild that one haha. Glad she’s in a good home. Just don’t let my niece see it !

Doing well here. Thanks!

He wants it back lol. Seems to totally discount/not recollect my advice to rebuild that one haha. Glad she’s in a good home. Just don’t let my niece see it !
It’s for sale for the right price!

If the timing chain failed then the distributor will will not rotate. Pull the distributor cap off and check.
Exactly what I was going to suggest.
Super easy/fast.

I agree with the above post re: pull the engine. Let's face it, you'll do more stuff than you imagine, everything IS so easy with the engine out.
Don't shoot the messenger, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom