1st Build Thread....28 years late (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Well folks this is the 1st build thread I am posting. Although I admit people don't usually post them decades after the build was done. However, this one is special as it was my introduction to the Cruiser World! For me, this is where it all began back about 1989 or so. I was wheeling a 4-Runner at the time and decided that having something specific for wheeling would be better than having to depend on the wheeling vehicle as a DD as well so I began my search for something that would fit that need. One day I was in a part of town that rarely have a need to be in and at this point in time I can not even remember why I was there but it was there when I saw an old "jeep looking thing" behind an auto shop. It was partially sticking out from under a willow tree and looked like it had been there for years possibly. This was on a weekend so I had to wait until Monday to talk to the shop owner. Again, can't remember the substance of the conversation other than for $100 it could be mine. I do remember thinking about it for a few days and then said well let's give this a try. I don't think at this point I even knew it was called an FJ40.......but I did know it was a Land Cruiser from Toyota. I did not know anyone else with one and had never seen one before. It was also before cell phones, a home computer and before Al Gore invented the Web as we know it today. As I look back on these old photos I realize these days that this 67 FJ40 was bone stock, aside from the plow frame. It was in pristine (for Wisconsin) and probably excellent condition for most other places. Even the fenders were solid. The OEM 6 cylinder was locked up so I opted for a V8 that a friend had sitting in his garage so the build began. Looking back now, I clearly had NO CLUE of what I just found.

I do remember the 40 was originally from El Cajon, Ca and how it ended up in Wisconsin I never knew.

The day I brought it home, to my parents house.

IMG_0005.jpg

I secured a place to work on it and the tear down begins with the Downey V8 to stock 3-speed conversion kit @Downey :

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003a.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

A friend helping me with the work.

IMG_0017.jpg

Last edited:
Can't remember where the springs came from. Possible 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

The 4-Runner that was my DD and weekend wheeler at the time.

IMG_0010.jpg

The after the transformation with the Chevy 350, spring under lift kit, & 15 x 35 x 15 Swampers on 15 x 12 American Racing wheels

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Wheeling in Crivitz, WI & Black River Falls, WI with my local 4WD club (4Play 4Wheelers)

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Yeah, I know......flip the bezel:flipoff2:

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Drove it this was for a couple years and had 2 problems I could not solve.......could not keep it from over heating in the summer and the "chevy hot starter" issue. The headers would constantly bake the starter to the point it would not work. No internet, no other Cruisers in my neck of the woods so no one to help. I think that is what drove me to finally sell it. I sold it to the guy driving the pickup in the next picture.

IMG_0009.jpg

He had it for a couple years, painted it blue, added a soft top, changed tires, and turned it into the following picture. He eventually sold it to someone in Texas if I remember correctly so he could buy a Chevelle :bang:. This is what it looked like when he sold it and that was the last time I ever saw it.

IMG.jpg

If anyone knows this Cruiser, has seen this Cruiser, or owns this Cruiser.....we need to have a conversation because someday I would like to bring it back home, no matter the current condition.

Thanks to all who enjoyed these old pics.....I can honestly say it hurts for me to look at these. :cry:

Drove it this was for a couple years and had 2 problems I could not solve.......could not keep it from over heating in the summer and the "chevy hot starter" issue. The headers would constantly bake the starter to the point it would not work. No internet, no other Cruisers in my neck of the woods so no one to help. I think that is what drove me to finally sell it. I sold it to the guy driving the pickup in the next picture.

View attachment 2145575

He had it for a couple years, painted it blue, added a soft top, changed tires, and turned it into the following picture. He eventually sold it to someone in Texas if I remember correctly so he could buy a Chevelle :bang:. This is what it looked like when he sold it and that was the last time I ever saw it.

View attachment 2145577

If anyone knows this Cruiser, has seen this Cruiser, or owns this Cruiser.....we need to have a conversation because someday I would like to bring it back home, no matter the current condition.

Thanks to all who enjoyed these old pics.....I can honestly say it hurts for me to look at these. :cry:

Great overview of the truck history. I can tell it means a lot to you. Hope you get it back soon!

Sorry to hear of your regrets. I hope the cruiser returns to you.

You might start with the VIN, if somehow you still have it in records.
I do still have the yellow registration docs. Have to dig them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom