1PZ vs 1HZ vs 1HDT vs 1HD FT weight ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
I was wondering if anyone has accurate numbers of each of these toyota diesel engines with or without accesories installed on them ? I know the rough ballpark from shipping them including pallet, crate and transmission but would like to know exactly what the difference is between them as I need to swap the noisy 1HZ in my crawler and need to decide what to put in there. I think a 1PZ although a bit underpowered can be better for weight savings and weight distribution as the front part over the axle is missing , I can always ad a turbo if the weight saving is worth it ?

Joe

Can you get 14/15BT's? Might be lighter but with good performance?

Can you get 14/15BT's? Might be lighter but with good performance?

I have a R151 trans in there now so any of these engines will bolt up to that , if I need to change trans then it will get a LS/TH350 in it 🤣

Probably not going to save heaps by going to the 1pz over the 1hz in terms of weight. Maybe 100kg.

Probably not going to save heaps by going to the 1pz over the 1hz in terms of weight. Maybe 100kg.

In all honesty 100kg that lives on top or in front of the front axle makes a big difference in weight distribution , almost like a fat chick sitting on your front bumper all the time :)

That 100kg makes a difference here

45AF8BAD-7320-492A-B95A-CDFC131132CF.jpeg

In all honesty 100kg that lives on top or in front of the front axle makes a big difference in weight distribution , almost like a fat chick sitting on your front bumper all the time :)

I know you don't want to hear this...but 1KZ-T is probably the best power to weight ratio that will bolt to a R151F. Short 4 cylinder with aluminum head. With a manual boost controller, and tweak of the fuel they can put down 150-180 hp to the wheels and 300-350ft/lb. Intercooler would be good but not necessary for a wheeling rig.

Last edited:
I know you don't want to hear this...but 1KZ-T is probably the best power to weight ratio that will bolt to a R151F. Short 4 cylinder with aluminum head. With a manual boost controller, and tweak of the fuel they can put down 150-180 hp to the wheels and 300-350ft/lb. Intercooler would be good but not necessary for a wheeling rig.

Trust me I know but 1KZ’s are getting hard to find , a 1PZ is a lot cheaper to buy and 1HZ/hdt/hdft I already have that I can choose from

I cant see the 1PZ being much lighter than the 1HZ. I doubt it will be 5/6ths the weight of the 1HZ, more like 7/8ths

I cant see the 1PZ being much lighter than the 1HZ. I doubt it will be 5/6ths the weight of the 1HZ, more like 7/8ths
50 kg isn't much right , until you need to lift it and then stretch your arms out holding the 50 kg in the air , where the weight is matters more in this situation . This will never be a lightweight buggy but I can try to optimize it here and there everytime I need to change something

If I understand your analogy, I would easily stretch my arms holding 2.5kg which represents 2.5% of my weight like it would represent 50kg for your rig.

Last edited:
If I understand your analogy, I would easily stretch my arms holding 2.5kg which represents 2.5% of my weight like it would represent 50kg for your rig.

Yes sir and now go do some activities that require your full balance , it doesn’t make a damn difference on a mall crawler but if you really want to wheel it this can be the difference between making it on an obstacle or not or even rolling over or not.

50 kg isn't much right , until you need to lift it and then stretch your arms out holding the 50 kg in the air , where the weight is matters more in this situation . This will never be a lightweight buggy but I can try to optimize it here and there everytime I need to change something

For the lack of parts for the 1PZ and the extra power of a 1HZ, the 50kgs is minimal. But 50kgs assumes the 1HZ is 300kgs. I thought it was more like 350kgs with the H55F gearbox and t/case. It will take 20kgs of turbo attachments to get the 1PZ to perform like a 1HZ.

For the lack of parts for the 1PZ and the extra power of a 1HZ, the 50kgs is minimal. But 50kgs assumes the 1HZ is 300kgs. I thought it was more like 350kgs with the H55F gearbox and t/case. It will take 20kgs of turbo attachments to get the 1PZ to perform like a 1HZ.
Wow a 20kg turbo ......that must be made out of lead ;)
The exhaust collector weighs about the same wether it is for a turbo or non turbo , last time I checked a turbo weighs maybe 3-4 kg , ad a hose for oil return and supply and done so still less then 5kg.

No miracles will happen swapping in a 1PZ , I know that much but every little bit helps.......as I do not have a 1PZ it will probably end up again with a 1HDT which is what I had in it first and it worked great up to the moment that I decided to pull it and LS swap the whole thing.

There is something to be said to have a crawler completely made out of toyota components (besides the ORI struts) vs every jeep and other hybrid running chevy/ford axles engine and trans

Trust me I know but 1KZ’s are getting hard to find , a 1PZ is a lot cheaper to buy and 1HZ/hdt/hdft I already have that I can choose from
I'm surprised you can easily and cheaply get hold of a 1pz, they're one of the rarer Toyota diesels here. Not in anyway desirable though, they're meant to be pretty gutless.

It sounds like you're pretty set on trying the 1pz. If small weight savings are that crucial, are there other things you could do to remove weight from up front? Eg move the winch to mid/rear mount.

I'm surprised you can easily and cheaply get hold of a 1pz, they're one of the rarer Toyota diesels here. Not in anyway desirable though, they're meant to be pretty gutless.

It sounds like you're pretty set on trying the 1pz. If small weight savings are that crucial, are there other things you could do to remove weight from up front? Eg move the winch to mid/rear mount.

I have owned several 70 series with 1PZ's before and I don't feel that much difference in power between the 1HZ and 1PZ , they are pretty much both gutless wonders without a turbo. There is zero demand for a 1PZ so whenever one pops up for sale they go for very little money here.For low speed crawling horsepower is not that important , quite often you see a guy with an old beaten up buggy with a gutless 22R on propane outwheeling the 500+ hp high dollar buggies now that is probably more driver capability then vehicle but still you get the point.

Winch need to stay up front , my batteries already moved to the rear so there is not much to move anymore besides the radiator and I prefer that it stays up front also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom