1KZTE - mysterious jingling knocking sound and check engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

We've been travelling the world in our old but gold (kind of) Land Cruiser Prado for the past 2.5 years and never had any problems with the engine (had lots of others to compensate). Until recently, unfortunately.

So it goes like this:
We're driving and everything's fine. Engine sounds like it should, performs normally. Then we stop, my wife goes for a shopping, I stay in the car with the engine on for the AC as we're in the Amazon basin and it's 35C+. About 5 minutes after car is parked and idling this sort of jingling/knocking sound starts to appear, and then the check engine light comes on. I rev it, sound and light are still on. So I turn it off. And then start immediately again and sound and light are again there. So I turn it off again and let it sit for about 60 seconds. Start again and sound and check engine is gone. My wife comes back and we hit the road and nothing happens - no sound, no check engine and normal engine performance. So I thought maybe that's some sort of one off computer/sensor failure and didn't bother. But then we stopped again to have a telephone conversation, engine was idling and same thing happened. Exact same scenario. Now it happened for 3rd and 4th time so there must be something to it. I didn't measure it, but it feels like each time sound starts to develop more or less after the same time interval after pulling over - about 5 minutes. Before that everything is normal. Oh, and it started on the same day we had oil and filter changed but it might as well be coincidence I guess.

Here's a video that gives you idea how it sounds:

(sorry my wife isn't the best camera operator!)

Any clues what it might be? All input will be greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend starting by pulling the engine error codes from the ECU. (Download the 1KZTE repair manual to learn how to do this).

By knocking/jingling, do you mean a louder diesel knock than normal? This would point to injection pump problems, probably with the timing control valve. Although this error can come up even if the valve is ok. Anything that prevents the engine from seeing the timing it expects can cause this issue. I have heard that if debris gets into the injection pump and settles to the bottom, it can cause issues with this timing control valve (plugs up hydraulic passages). All sort of a guessing game until you start identifying the ECU error codes.

And you need some new tires! :)

I'll get to checking ECU codes once we get back to civilisation. For now I've checked timing control valve resistance and it showed 1.9 ohmes which according to info I've found, is ok value. But I guess this does not rule out timing control valve completely?

I'll get to checking ECU codes once we get back to civilisation. For now I've checked timing control valve resistance and it showed 1.9 ohmes which according to info I've found, is ok value. But I guess this does not rule out timing control valve completely?

The solenoid part of it could be fine, but the hydraulic passages inside might be clogged. These can be cleaned by removing the valve, but not something you really want to be doing in the middle of no where. Problem could be something else anyhow....

Hey guys,

We've been travelling the world in our old but gold (kind of) Land Cruiser Prado for the past 2.5 years and never had any problems with the engine (had lots of others to compensate). Until recently, unfortunately.

So it goes like this:
We're driving and everything's fine. Engine sounds like it should, performs normally. Then we stop, my wife goes for a shopping, I stay in the car with the engine on for the AC as we're in the Amazon basin and it's 35C+. About 5 minutes after car is parked and idling this sort of jingling/knocking sound starts to appear, and then the check engine light comes on. I rev it, sound and light are still on. So I turn it off. And then start immediately again and sound and light are again there. So I turn it off again and let it sit for about 60 seconds. Start again and sound and check engine is gone. My wife comes back and we hit the road and nothing happens - no sound, no check engine and normal engine performance. So I thought maybe that's some sort of one off computer/sensor failure and didn't bother. But then we stopped again to have a telephone conversation, engine was idling and same thing happened. Exact same scenario. Now it happened for 3rd and 4th time so there must be something to it. I didn't measure it, but it feels like each time sound starts to develop more or less after the same time interval after pulling over - about 5 minutes. Before that everything is normal. Oh, and it started on the same day we had oil and filter changed but it might as well be coincidence I guess.

Here's a video that gives you idea how it sounds:

(sorry my wife isn't the best camera operator!)

Any clues what it might be? All input will be greatly appreciated!

Did you ever figure out what the problem was ? Land Cruiser does exactly the same thing.
Had the throttle body cleaned, the crankshaft sensor renewed yet the Check engine light keeps coming up and the car gets undrivable.
I would greatly appreciate your info.
Best regards

Video is dead, and OP doesnt give info, but honestly the description sounds like diesel fuel knock to me. The CEL woul throw a code if it senses the timing or readings to be off, which is a temporary limp mode.
I have had similar symtoms which persisted until I adjusted the pump properly. Even when properly adjusted it would occur on HOT days on long hill climbs until I got the fuelling just right.

Video is dead, and OP doesnt give info, but honestly the description sounds like diesel fuel knock to me. The CEL woul throw a code if it senses the timing or readings to be off, which is a temporary limp mode.
I have had similar symtoms which persisted until I adjusted the pump properly. Even when properly adjusted it would occur on HOT days on long hill climbs until I got the fuelling just right.
Sounds like the same problem I’m having. As soon as outside temperatures are over 40 degrees the truck throws the codes, is in limb mode and is practically undrivable.
Would you recommend pulling the fuel pump and have it cleaned ?
And tips on how to adjust the pump properly?

Step 1 is really to read your code and see what code it is. In my case, it was code 14, which meant my timing was off, which was being made worse at high temperatures. Once the pump and crankshaft sensors read more than 7 degrees difference it would throw the check engine light which would put the vehicle temporarily into limp mode.

I had to adjust the pump fuelling by trial and error until we got it right. I wouldn't go messing with opening up your pump and trying to service it unless something is really wrong with it. They are expensive things to work on.

Confirm your code using this, then decide your next course of action

How to read ECU fault codes. 1KZ-TE & D4D - Toyota Prado How To's, Technical Information & Reviews - https://www.pradopoint.com.au/forum/-120-series-discussion-only/engine-diesel-120-series/4422-how-to-read-ecu-fault-codes-1kz-te-d4d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom