1kzte - engine knock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
evening all

I have a KZJ71 1994 with a 1KZ-te that has recently developed a concerning knock. The knock is regular at idle and there appears to be more vibration than usual.

The knock sound like its coming from the bottom end and i have just pulled off the sump but nothing is jumping out at me that might be the cause.
I'm thinking maybe big end bearings but i have pulled two off and whilst there is some sign of wear it is not at a level that i would think caused such an audible knock.

I haven't pulled the other big ends yet (have come inside for dinner) but thought i throw this up for any pearls of wisdom that people might have.

Have also pulled the timing belt cover to check tensioner and this is all fine.

any help or ideas welcome.

Thanks

Tony

pull all the main and con rod caps and check for wear.
if all seem acceptable (and you will know if this is the problem by the mess you wil find) then i would suspect fuel problem. a fuel knock can sound like a bottom end problem...
did it come on suddenly?
what are the symptoms leading up to the knock?
did you just fill with fuel shortly before the knock started?

cheers

Thanks Wayne,

Big Ends all look fine - you wouldn't happen to know the torque spec for the bolts would you?

Cheers,
Tony

No probs, i forgot i have a scanned FSM on the computer so its back together.

Thinking back the problem started with a little extra noise that i put down to being due for an oil change, I changed the oil and though it would have only traveled a few hundred km since.
But my uncle was around and i had to move the vehicle and thought he heard a knock and that it sounded like a harmonic balance on its last legs. The harmonic balance seams to be fine.

Since then i haven't really been driving it nor had a chance to look at it (i seized an alternator on my BJ71 that i repaired yesterday morning and am in the middle of rebuilding the V8 in my fj40).

I cant think of a date or time it happened nor can i pin it down to filling up with fuel.

Mains and big ends all look OK?

Should i be looking at injectors?

nah, start cheap and work up, drain the tank of fuel and put a fresh tank in, run some injector cleaner through (sea foam or any cleaner that has a good record) go for a drive and see if the noise goes away...

then report back...

Hi NZBJ71,
Bob Holmes in Dunden has had a bit to do with Duel Mass Problems, you could have a chat to him.
If it is the flywheel, Fitting a solid flywheel replacement , induces a small gearbox rattle at idle.
Where as replaceing with an OEM flywheel will give you a nice perfict clutch.

E-Mail me if you need any info.

Cheers Oldblue,

I've meet bob several times and have his contact details,so i might give him a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom