1KZ-TE vs 2LTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that early 90's Prados are becoming more readily available in the USA there are quite a few with the 1KZ-TE around. What are the advantages of the 1KZ-TE engine? I really like my 1990 LJ78 and am happy enough with the "light duty" Land Cruiser that gets mocked mercilessly by the rest of the LC world. So I'm interested in a nice newer version with the 1KZ engine but interested in how much better it is than the 2LTE?

Now that early 90's Prados are becoming more readily available in the USA there are quite a few with the 1KZ-TE around. What are the advantages of the 1KZ-TE engine? I really like my 1990 LJ78 and am happy enough with the "light duty" Land Cruiser that gets mocked mercilessly by the rest of the LC world. So I'm interested in a nice newer version with the 1KZ engine but interested in how much better it is than the 2LTE?

It makes a lot more power out of the box. Cylinder heads last ~250,000km instead of less than 100,000km on the 2LTE. Most of the world prefers this engine by a big margin in the light duty 70 series from what I've read. Being an IDI turbo engine, it will still get hot under high load. They do seem to have a much higher resale value.

Day and night
1KZ = more power, more torque, more reliable , even with automatic trans.
just keep it cold, good quality coolant and oil
plus a turbo timer

Just to tie this in to your other thread, I question whether a 1KZ swap is likely to be much easier than a Cummins swap. You still have many of the same hurdles to jump: different motor mounts, different ECU, different wiring harness, etc. It's far from being a simple drop-in.

Just to tie this in to your other thread, I question whether a 1KZ swap is likely to be much easier than a Cummins swap. You still have many of the same hurdles to jump: different motor mounts, different ECU, different wiring harness, etc. It's far from being a simple drop-in.

Might be a good time to go with a mechanical injection setup? The European KZJ77 is a 1KZ-T powered mechanical injection factory setup. Would basically be a matter of copying that. Manual trans only I'm guessing. Could get pricey quick trying to source all the bits and pieces though....

Might be a good time to go with a mechanical injection setup? The European KZJ77 is a 1KZ-T powered mechanical injection factory setup. Would basically be a matter of copying that. Manual trans only I'm guessing. Could get pricey quick trying to source all the bits and pieces though....
Speaking of a manual injection setup, you may recall I bought a 2LTHE and it is in my LJ78. The guy never got it running because of the different injection system. May need a mechanical injection setup. Any experience with that? I have it at a different diesel mechanic now who specializes in injection systems.

Speaking of a manual injection setup, you may recall I bought a 2LTHE and it is in my LJ78. The guy never got it running because of the different injection system. May need a mechanical injection setup. Any experience with that? I have it at a different diesel mechanic now who specializes in injection systems.

If you have an auto transmission, it's quite difficult to get it to work with a mechanical injection engine. That's the main problem from what I have been told.

What I never understood about your 2LTE replacement attempt is why they could not have just have stripped the 2LTHE down to the long block, and put all the parts from your 2LTE onto it. This way it would have been all the original 2LTE injection parts and it should have run just fine... I really wish I wasn't on the other side of a continent from you, as I'd just drop by and help you get it running!

If you have an auto transmission, it's quite difficult to get it to work with a mechanical injection engine. That's the main problem from what I have been told.

What I never understood about your 2LTE replacement attempt is why they could not have just have stripped the 2LTHE down to the long block, and put all the parts from your 2LTE onto it. This way it would have been all the original 2LTE injection parts and it should have run just fine... I really wish I wasn't on the other side of a continent from you, as I'd just drop by and help you get it running!
Come on by, the weather is great and the Covid is at bay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom