1KZ-TE rough running (with a miss?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping for some insight into rough running issues experienced. Sequence of events:
1. Ran pretty hard in deep sand for about 25-30 minutes. 4WD, Low, 3rd gear, EGT approximately 1000-1100 deg F.
2. Stopped to air up. Engine idled for about 10-15 minutes.
3. Back on the road and there is what feels like an ignition "miss". It's not consistent. More noticeable when accelerating at lower RPMs in a gear range - not lugging the engine, but not revved high. At high RPMs, it is not as noticeable. The "miss" is noticeable enough that my wife recognized the issue - there was enough hesitation in movement forward where your body tends to move forward when the vehicle hesitates - like tapping the brakes.
4. Stopped again for about 10 minutes when my wife went into a store. Kept idling for awhile. Shut down, restarted and idled. Shut down and checked to see if anything physically was obstructing the accelerator cable. Checked oil while under the hood, and it was about 1/3 low on the dipstick marker. This vehicle has always slowly used a little oil - no visible leaks. Topped off oil.
5. Back on the road and the "miss" is gone.
Any suggestions for what might cause this series of events?

A miss in a diesel is usually related to a sticky injector. You might get lucky with some injector cleaner, if not a set of rebuilt injectors is a good investment if they haven't been done. Usually its a 100000klm service requirement.

Just did the Liqui Moly diesel purge. 2 cans. Miss seems to be gone. We'll see how it goes over the next few days.
1648848381154.png

Screenshot 2022-04-01 5.24.34 PM.png

The real question is why the injectors got blocked or sticky, assuming thats what happened.

Old age most likely. Weak injector springs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom