1KZ-TE oil (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been told that mineral/semi-synthetic is better than full synthetic for a 94 1kz. With EGR deleted would JASO DH-1 be better than JASO DH-2, as with the EGR removed there isn't any other exhaust treatment device? Also, I'm having a tough time finding JASO certified mineral oil in Canada, BC. What's a good JASO certified 15W40 or 10W40 mineral oil to order?
Cheers

Go with Delo400. Used it heaps and is nice and inexpensive. Don’t overthink your oil. Delo or Rotella will do. I’m a big fan of Factory parts and Factory filters too.

Rotella non-synth 10w30 for mild parts of bc or 5w40 for cold parts in winter. Rotella 15w40 for summer. Change every 5000km for lots of short drives. Or up to 10,000km if you do long trips.

@dawsonmarch , I'm not wanting to start a huge debate or argue, but I've never heard conventional oil is superior to fully synthetic from anyone. Conventional oil will obviously provide adequate protection for the engine and is more economical, but I would really have to doubt if fully synthetic is inferior in any respect. I have a friend who works in the Mobil1 Lab where they test for factory fills. He is obviously bias, but says the 2 best Fully Synthetic oils are Mobil 1 and Rotella, hands down. And although he told me this several years ago, Castrol makes an excellent conventional oil, but their "fully" synthetic oil is not fully synthetic and was under a lawsuit for claiming so. Take that for what it worth... some guy on a forum passing along what some guy in a lab told him. I'm not a chemist, but I use fully synthetic Rotella since that seems to be about $25 for a gallon in my neck of the woods. I'll vote full synthetic every time.

Last edited:
Rotella non-synth 10w30 for mild parts of bc or 5w40 for cold parts in winter. Rotella 15w40 for summer. Change every 5000km for lots of short drives. Or up to 10,000km if you do long trips.
I was thinking of just getting 15W40, in the winter coldest it gets it about -10, I was thinking that would be alright if I plug in the lower rad hose heater?
If I were to get two different viscosity oils and change summers/winters would I have to swap a new filter for the different oils? I've been told I can get two changes from a filter.

I was thinking of just getting 15W40, in the winter coldest it gets it about -10, I was thinking that would be alright if I plug in the lower rad hose heater?
If I were to get two different viscosity oils and change summers/winters would I have to swap a new filter for the different oils? I've been told I can get two changes from a filter.

I used to run 15w40 year round. I got caught starting my truck at -20C off guard on a trip one winter. The oil was so thick, the cam bearings got starved for a while and filled my oil with sparkles. I had to replace them; which is quite a big job.

Since then I've run at least 10w30 in the winter months. I usually change my oil 2-3 times a year, so it works out well to run thinner oil in winter and thicker in summer.

Personally, I don't think it's worth trying to cheap out on oil changes. Correct viscosity and regular changes will keep your engine happy for a long time.

Yes, technically oil filters can be done every couple changes. I tried that once or twice, but seeing how dirty they got I decided not to anymore. IDI diesels burn dirty. If I had a newer TDI diesel, then maybe.

But your call.

Full synthetic 5W40 all day for 1KZ. You are ruining engine with 15W oil at freezing temps.

I run 5w40 all year round. We go from -5 or 10° F to 110° F on a bad year. 5w40 is more versatile than 15w40 or 10w40 or 10w30.
This^^ is the solid plan.

To get a decent spread in oil viscosity (e.g. 5W40 vs 20W40) you end up with oils being refined enough that they become partially or fully synthetic anyway.
You get far better fuel economy for the first few miles with an oil that has a lower winter viscosity. Once everything is up to temperature there is no difference.

Same fuel economy effects apply to all driveline oils. 75W90 flows far better in the cold than 80W90 or EP90 and makes the first few miles of fuel economy a lot better in winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom