1KZ-TE Engine Swap Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm interested in swapping a 1KZ-TE engine and R150/151 manual transmission into a USA-spec truck (pre-1995 Pickup or 1995.5 - 2004 Tacoma). The 1KZ-TE was available in the Prado, Hilux, Surf, and HiAce.

I am trying to avoid fabricating engine and transmission mounts for the swap. My question is, what 1KZ-TE w/ manual transmission vehicles are a direct-swap into a USA-spec truck? Obviously Surf to 4Runner is the most direct. What about a Pickup/Tacoma?

For example, the 2nd generation N130 series 4Runner/Surf (1989 - 1995) was based on the Pickup frame. So can I swap a KZN130 series engine/manual trans into a 1989 - 1995 Toyota Pickup without modifying the engine and transmission mounts?

What about a 3rd gen N180 series 4Runner/Surf (1995.5 - 2002)? Can I swap a KZN185 series engine/manual trans into a 1995.5 - 2004 1st gen Tacoma without modifying the engine and transmission mounts?

Which model diesel should I be looking for? And which model USA truck should it go into (22R?, 3VZ?, 5VZ?)

Ryans-complete-taco-1.jpg

Ryans-complete-taco-2.jpg

Ryans-complete-taco-6.jpg

Ryans-complete-taco-7.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Get yourself a 1KZ from a European KZJ 70/73 so you don't have to deal with any wiring ,I think these came with R151 transmissions so if I am not mistaken a mini truck transfer case should bolt on to that .

The 1kzte and 3.4 mounts are the same in the Taco, but not the trans? Pretty sure the 2.7 and 3.4 mounts are the same on the frame side. This is a common swap in the LN chassis trucks, which might be similar enough to the US spec pre-95 pickups to make it just as easy. You would need to space the engine mounting a couple inches back but then the trans mount will bolt up. Whether the 3.0 or 22R mounts are the same as the LN I do not know.

Aus and UK Hilux and Surf forums have a lot of threads on this, here's just one I found with a quick google.

Get yourself a 1KZ from a European KZJ 70/73 so you don't have to deal with any wiring ,I think these came with R151 transmissions so if I am not mistaken a mini truck transfer case should bolt on to that .

AFAIK these are pretty scarce even in regions where they were offered, but Joe probably knows better than I. If going into a later 4runner, pickup, or taco it would be more work but imo cleaner to go with an E and deal with swapping the harness (like in the build linked above). Do you need to pass emissions? In most places it would be much easier to start with a truck that already has a D on the title, US spec or not.

Not that I don't want more 1kzte swap tech on the forum, but have you considered importing one? There are KZ cruisers and surfs that are 25 years old at this point, and I've seen a few for sale stateside.

1KZ with R151 low 1st gear (4.313:1) and Marlin Dual Case (2.28:1 and 4.7:1) would be amazing. 25 mpg on the highway and crawl over anything in low-low.

Searched for a couple days and can’t find the weight of a 1KZTE? Any chance you know of it roughly? Trying to calculate what springs I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom