1KZ mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Just wondering hows is your fuel consumption on the 1kz non intercooled. Planning to add a water to air intercooler in the future.
First time diesel engine owner here. I always here diesels are great on mileage. But for me personally the needle dips faster than my V6 taco. Even when being mindful of acceleration.
Perhaps dirty egr/intake?
How can i improve my usage?

You could start by stating how much it uses. But 9-10 litres per 100 klms is about normal.

You could start by stating how much it uses. But 9-10 litres per 100 klms is about normal.
At the moment havent taken any super scientific measurments on how much gas usage i would say 11 mpg. Usually half tank last me a few days average like 15 miles a day on my daily commute.

There is something seriously wrong with a 1KZ if it is using that much. Is it a 1KZ T or TE?. Is it making smoke, color?

There is something seriously wrong with a 1KZ if it is using that much. Is it a 1KZ T or TE?. Is it making smoke, color?
1kz non intercooled. Planning to slap on a water to intercooler down the line.
I have white/grey smoke on my morning start up. But as far as idling pretty norm. Just smells like im at bus yard.
Ive seen smoke when i stomp on it. But it was at night. Hope the car behind me didnt have there windows down.

I would strongly suggest carefully tracking your mileage over a couple of full tanks. I’m my experience fuel gauges tend to be very inaccurate and can vary wildly from vehicle to vehicle. I’ve had two LJ78’s, the first one was pretty much empty by the time the needle dropped to the last tick on the gauge, my current one still has nearly 5 gallons in it at that point.

What vehicle are we talking about here?

I would strongly suggest carefully tracking your mileage over a couple of full tanks. I’m my experience fuel gauges tend to be very inaccurate and can vary wildly from vehicle to vehicle. I’ve had two LJ78’s, the first one was pretty much empty by the time the needle dropped to the last tick on the gauge, my current one still has nearly 5 gallons in it at that point.

What vehicle are we talking about here?
Prob would change the floater down the line. Is usually sluggish. Whenever i fill up it usually takes some time to rise. Maybe changing it might change that?
I own a kzj78 RHD from japan. 1kz diesel.
First time diesel and LC owner.

I own a kzj78 RHD from japan. 1kz diesel.
Its a 1KZ-T which means it has the non electronic injection pump.
White and grey smoke can mean several things.
They shouldn't smell like a bus yard, by this year diesel engines were almost odorless if maintained correctly.
Has the air filter been changed, timing belt checked? Just throwing an intercooler on is not going to help an engine that has basic problems.
I would also be getting the injectors tested.
And until you know exactly how much fuel its using, you don't have benchmark to start with. Comparing it with a Tacoma by looking at the fuel gauges is pointless.
Getting an engine manual is mandatory if you want to get it running right.

Its a 1KZ-T which means it has the non electronic injection pump.
White and grey smoke can mean several things.
They shouldn't smell like a bus yard, by this year diesel engines were almost odorless if maintained correctly.
Has the air filter been changed, timing belt checked? Just throwing an intercooler on is not going to help an engine that has basic problems.
I would also be getting the injectors tested.
And until you know exactly how much fuel its using, you don't have benchmark to start with. Comparing it with a Tacoma by looking at the fuel gauges is pointless.
Getting an engine manual is mandatory if you want to get it running right.
Timing belt kit, air filter, and fuel filter are on its way. Wouldnt know anyone here who does small diesels. Most diesels here for commercial or big rigs. So pretty much on my own here.

Most diesels here for commercial or big rigs
Anyone who does injectors on pretty much any diesel can do these. If you have a workshop manual, you can give them the specs, but usually they can source them. The injector shop I use does anything from huge stationary Caterpillar diesels to 1KZ T and smaller and he is only a 2 man shop.
My guess he will probably have a DENSO sign in his window somewhere. That is Toyotas brand which is a copy of Bosch in most cases.

Last edited:
You should be seeing the following mileage:

11l/100km on easy going highway driving (less than 60mph)
12l/100km on hard highway driving or mixed highway/city
15l/100km on 100% hard city driving

What vehicle is it? Do you have a pyrometer or boost gauge?

To really know, you need to calculate and track your fuel economy more accurately. Keep in mind if you have larger tires than stock you will have to do some correction based on the larger diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom