1KZ belt snapped? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

A few days back I bought a mint 94 Land cruiser Prado with a 3.0 Turbo diesel 1kz. I had to drive it for a few days back home and the alternator?/generator? belt went. I managed to get it home but obviously it wasn't charging the battery so it's dead now. Here's the thing, this is my first time owning a diesel and I'm not too sure what I'm doing. I was wondering if you guys could help me with some basic info.

So the belt that snapped is the 3rd belt back from the front of the engine. First off, do these things have alternators or generators? And what's the belt size? I found a 3 belt kit for sale on various websites so off that information I'm guessing it's a 13mmx1000mm belt but all the ones online are cogged and the ones on the truck are smooth v belts.

I'm sure some of you are shaking your heads, obviously I'm not too sure what I'm looking at but does anyone have any links to any threads on how to replace these belts yourself? I'd rather learn how to do it now. Also confirm what the correct belt size is too, since again I'm not too sure what I'm looking at. I'll post pics soon but I just got home from the 2300km drive so I gotta rest up.

Glad you made it home ok. Replacing the belts should be easy. Your best bet to learn how to do this stuff is to download the 1KZTE repair manual (there is a .pdf floating around out there). If you can't find the .pdf, I'll upload it for you in a couple days when I'm back at my other computer. You should also download RM183E Chassis manual which will help you with all the other repairs your truck might need. There are many links in the 70 series section to RM183E. If you're stuck there is a guy named Simon Liew who owns a shop called TLC Imports Connections in Winnipeg. He will definitely be able to help you as he is familiar with these motors.

Glad you made it home ok. Replacing the belts should be easy. Your best bet to learn how to do this stuff is to download the 1KZTE repair manual (there is a .pdf floating around out there). If you can't find the .pdf, I'll upload it for you in a couple days when I'm back at my other computer. You should also download RM183E Chassis manual which will help you with all the other repairs your truck might need. There are many links in the 70 series section to RM183E. If you're stuck there is a guy named Simon Liew who owns a shop called TLC Imports Connections in Winnipeg. He will definitely be able to help you as he is familiar with these motors.

Hey thank I found the pdf. It seems I still can't actually find the belt size though... I measured the torn belt and it's 10mm not 13mm. Anyone know if it's 10 x 1000mm or 10 x 1050mm? Replacing the belts should be easy I agree, just need the size now. Thanks for the name, I'll give Simon a call tomorrow if he's around.

Edit: Just found an article talking about how cogged v-belts are to reduce bending resistance - if anyone cares. I measured the serpentine belt and it's 13mm wide and I took a look at the a/c belt and it looks like it's sitting pretty deep in the pulley. So it might be 13mm after all.

Last edited:
Hey thank I found the pdf. It seems I still can't actually find the belt size though... I measured the torn belt and it's 10mm not 13mm. Anyone know if it's 10 x 1000mm or 10 x 1050mm? Replacing the belts should be easy I agree, just need the size now. Thanks for the name, I'll give Simon a call tomorrow if he's around.

Edit: Just found an article talking about how cogged v-belts are to reduce bending resistance - if anyone cares. I measured the serpentine belt and it's 13mm wide and I took a look at the a/c belt and it looks like it's sitting pretty deep in the pulley. So it might be 13mm after all.

Another option is you can go to Megazip (they have Toyota EPC drawings) and find your exact vehicle. Go through the drawings and find the Toyota Part number. From the Toyota Part number you can cross to other manufacturers. Sometimes its possible to read the part number off the old belts too. Measuring can work sometimes (as you have).

Is it a 70 series or 90 series Prado? I suspect a 70All modern cars have alternators these days.

Fan and alternator belt 90916-02385
Aircon belt 90916-02397

If your snapping those belts I would seriously start looking for a new timing belt as well
13568-69085

Thanks guys, I was able to read the code off the mitsuboshi belt that tore off and then find part number. Luckily NAPA had a part match so I have all 3 belts right now. Just eating lunch and gonna start working on it in a bit. I'll definitely check the timing belt as well.

Edit: And yeah it's a 70 series. KZJ78

Ok well I got the fan belt off, but I cant seem to loosen the alternator. The only video I found is on the 1hz and it has 3 bolts but theres no bolt on the underside of the 1kz it seems. Is it just the adjustment rod and bolt with the cube on it or is there a 3rd one I'm missing?

Maybe take some pics?
Very often alternators have 2 "Ears" that the bolts go through. The one at the bottom acts as a pivot.
The one on top moves in a slot to allow the belt to be made tight.

On my old BJ74 the power steering belts system has a pulley that does nothing much except it is adjustable to make that belt tight.

Alright boys, after I posted the last response I looked through the 1KZTE repair manual and found there was a pivot bolt above the pulley, so I reached in and felt it underneath the water pump, which with the bright sunlight I couldn't seem to find. Got the water pump off, loosened the pivot bolt, the belts fit perfect, tightened it all back up, boosted it with my buddies car, ran it for 5-10 mins, re torqued everything and she's good as new :)

Honestly this was really my first time working under the hood like that and I'm really happy I did it !

Alright boys, after I posted the last response I looked through the 1KZTE repair manual and found there was a pivot bolt above the pulley, so I reached in and felt it underneath the water pump, which with the bright sunlight I couldn't seem to find. Got the water pump off, loosened the pivot bolt, the belts fit perfect, tightened it all back up, boosted it with my buddies car, ran it for 5-10 mins, re torqued everything and she's good as new :)

Honestly this was really my first time working under the hood like that and I'm really happy I did it !

Nice work! And thats about how you can approach everything. The Toyota factory service manuals are excellent. A great way to learn. And each time you do a job buy the tools you need, and it'll usually pay for it's self (compared to paying a shop). Before long you'll have all the tools you could need.

Nice work! And thats about how you can approach everything. The Toyota factory service manuals are excellent. A great way to learn. And each time you do a job buy the tools you need, and it'll usually pay for it's self (compared to paying a shop). Before long you'll have all the tools you could need.

Yeah Canadian Tire was having some pretty good sales so I bought a 99 piece socket kit for $65 (reduced from $299 apparently) and some screw drivers for like 15 bucks. Figured it was an investment, plus tools + belts still cost less than the labour costs if I took it to a mechanic.

Yeah Canadian Tire was having some pretty good sales so I bought a 99 piece socket kit for $65 (reduced from $299 apparently) and some screw drivers for like 15 bucks. Figured it was an investment, plus tools + belts still cost less than the labour costs if I took it to a mechanic.

Right on. Heh, yeah, never buy their tool sets at 'full price'. It's just marketing psychology; the better the deal you think you're getting, the more likely you will buy. Anyhow, I bought a sears craftsman socket set back in the day also on sale. And it's paid off a 100 times over. Can't go wrong with having tools like that.

Timing belt will be a bit more of a job, but sounds like you're pretty naturally mechanically inclined. Just follow the manual carefully, and ask questions here. Might even be some youtube videos out there too. Make sure you set aside a full day so you're not rushed. I think the 1KZTE is a lot easier than the 2LTE to do a timing belt; as you don't have to remove the crank pulley. Looks more like the 1HZ and 1HDT type where it goes from the injection pump pulley to the cam pulley. Much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom