1HZJ80 Starting issues electrical (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all been reading these forums for a while. Bought my 80 about three months ago, couldn't be happier with my purchase. 1998 1hzj80.

A month after i've had her I noticed I went to start one morning and after the glow plug light when off nothing at all from the starter just a strange clicking/buzzing sound in engine bay. tried another two times and then success no issues at all for another 2 months.

As of today however it appears I have had the same issue come up but now it has become worse. when ignition switched to ACC dash lights up clock came on and everything appears normal. when switching to ON dash lights up and i wait for the glow plug light to go off then no starting the same as in previous issues. tried this 5/6 times and nothing from the starter. I have a look in the engine bay and watch a video that describes my issue identify some wires i need to check to see if the starter is getting the correct power or if it's losing power through a bad wire.

Before I went down to buy myself a multimeter to start checking some wires I figured i'd try one more time to turn her over. This is where the issue appears to have gotten worse. when switching ignition to ACC everything lights up as normal clock comes on, however this time when i switch to ON lights come on dash clock comes on radio comes on then after 2 seconds it cuts out battery volts aren't reading at all and some of the dash lights are very very faint and clock now doesn't work in ON. In addition to this when ignition is switched to ON now if i wait a decent amount of time it it will come on as normal for maybe a second/half a second then go off like described above. when this occurs which is now every-time i switch to ON there is a buzzing/clicking sound coming from near where the fusebox/relays are. sounds like its coming from underneath the fuse box just at the back of the battery. lights etc also do not work when in ACC either now that this issue is occurring.

From what i've found so far the issue could be the fuse-able link. I've just ordered a new one for a 1hzj80. So for an easy fix ill try this, and check all the fuses to see if any are blown.

checked battery and it's reading just above 12v so that's not the issue, Haven't tried jumper leads and starting to see if that is a remedy.

To me it feels like I have a power issue to the starter, and now i've unearthed another issue in the electrical system that is occurring before this.

Any thoughts? anything else I should check?

luckily its broken in my garage as I was replacing the window regulator winder mechanism that has been troubling me. I'm off to work for three weeks now so i've plenty of time to think about why she won't start. hopefully i'll replace the fuseable link and be out of trouble but i'm thinking there could be an electrical gremlin somewhere. fuseable link definitely looks tired but it doesn't look broken at all.

Sorry for the story trying to put down as much information as possible. additional info there was some water on the road today, I drove through it slow could this have caused the issue to be more pronounced. vehicle started fine six times prior to this happening.

James.

checked battery and it's reading just above 12v so that's not the issue, Haven't tried jumper leads and starting to see if that is a remedy.

You need to check the battery with a load on it.
Like when you try to start it. Read the voltage when you turn the key to start.
Or flick the high beam lights on, and see what the voltage drops to.

A battery can show 12 volts, but have a bad cell, and voltage under load can drop to low.
A charged battery should read 12.8 volts or so.

The noise you describe, is it a fast click click click from the starter?

If the battery is in bad shape, and low voltage, you won't get enough current to kick the starter solenoid all the way in to start position.
This means the starter motor isn't going to get power.

Another cause of the clicking can be worn out contactors in the starter solenoid. If there's not a good connection, the solenoid won't engage fully, and again, no power to the motor.

Contacts are cheap to replace. Like, less than $50

You need to check the battery with a load on it.
Like when you try to start it. Read the voltage when you turn the key to start.
Or flick the high beam lights on, and see what the voltage drops to.

A battery can show 12 volts, but have a bad cell, and voltage under load can drop to low.
A charged battery should read 12.8 volts or so.

The noise you describe, is it a fast click click click from the starter?

If the battery is in bad shape, and low voltage, you won't get enough current to kick the starter solenoid all the way in to start position.
This means the starter motor isn't going to get power.

Another cause of the clicking can be worn out contactors in the starter solenoid. If there's not a good connection, the solenoid won't engage fully, and again, no power to the motor.

Contacts are cheap to replace. Like, less than $50

Solid info, I'll test the battery under load tomorrow.

Unsure as to exactly where the clicking sound was coming from when the power was working and I tried to start her. I think it may have been coming from the starter and it was fast, I reckon you may be right on that.

I'm more mystified on the clicking/buzzing sound coming from the fusebox area now when the ignition is just ON without even trying to turn the starter on.

Unfortunately now I can't seem to get any reaction from turning the key fully to start her.

I'll have a solid read through the diesel section as well cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom