1hz vs 2h observations at a glance. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I convinced my mate to get a troopy, so he got a brand new secondhand 1996 hzj75 troopy. 350k on the clock, 60k done in the last 10 years, lady driver kept it garaged.
I never had the chance to look or drive a hz, so it was interesting for me to have a look. We gave her a birthday and changed all fluids besides hydraulics which were fine, brakes worked well. It was a brief encounter, just the superficial but important stuff to get a baseline for maintenance.

There are differences, but lots of toyota similarities overall to what I am familiar with on my 2h.

Sump plug smaller on the hz, don't know why.
Oil filter upside down, so can't pre fill it, if it leaked it would land on the starter.
Thermostat housing part of the block, right next to alternator, don't know why so close. Need a rubber gasket for the thermostat, seems to work well quicker installation than goop, some goop as well would work better. Radiator in one side , out the other side, meant to be more effecient.
Whilst front diff is smaller than the hj75, the fluid changing for diffs, gear box and transfer the same process.
Steer reservoir right at front, easier access than 2h, fluid change same process as 2h.

It was interesting for me to use a newer h55f, it was kind of reassuring, it felt very similar to my hj75, still not a city car for sure with eternity between 2nd and 3rd in aggressive city traffic, never notice in the bush..
Hz has noticeably more punch than the slow 2h, as most folks say, faster uphill from a standing start for example. 3t tow capacity.
The front grill is plastic on the hzj, instead of the steel grill on the hj75.

Plenty of other things to do on my mates hz. And the list would continue. Timing belt is a reason I have met a few folks preferring the slow 2h with it's set and forget timing cogs.
This is old news to most on here probably, but some maybe interested, I was.

I just own my first diesel, a 2H 3 weeks ago. Really appreciate your observations.

I had a 3F before and really love the pushrod thingy from the past. So simple, 0 maintenance aside valves.

Mine is probably identical to your friends - agreed the smaller sump plug is odd. I ordered a whole batch from Cruiser Outfitters and all of the new ones fit everywhere when I did my baseline, but I wound up reusing the sump plug.

I honestly didn't know that about the front diff. What year is your 2H? Is that size difference engine specific, or year range specific?

The oil filter I love - having it right there, easily changed, is such a joy.

My 2h is 1988, but I am building another 1986 and all the hj75 had the same front and back diffs. I like that you could swap them over if you had to., Same parts and bearings etc for both diffs..

The biggest bonus is the 1hz pulls harder. But I wouldn't like the timing belt as much as timing cogs. But then every 100k km aint too bad. If someone threw a hzj at me I would not refuse!

I honestly didn't know that about the front diff. What year is your 2H? Is that size difference engine specific, or year range specific?
its year specific, though i dont remember exactly what year ('94 maybe?) it is mostly just narrow 80 series 8" axle, and shares many of its parts.

the year of your rig, like mine shares shares soooooooo many parts with the 60/62 series its not even funny, but thats one of the things i like about Toyota with all the vehicles they make, lots of shared parts.

Yeah, I've done a deep dive on axles and diffs - until my head is spinning. I'm considering 3.73 ring and pinions. That gets crazy complicated. But the 8" vs. 9.5" thing was interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom