1HZ Valve Adjustment w/A440F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For automatic transmission owners, do we need to put the transmission in neutral before rotating the crankshaft during a valve adjustment? Would just do it anyways but the cylinder lock won’t let me take the key out if I shift to neutral. Wanted to ask before I make a big boo-boo.

Hey Sark, I am assuming you have the rear tires off the ground? Pretty damn hard to get it to turn if in gear. Good luck with the valve adjustment. Did this and found most if not all valves out of adjustment and to tight. Made a big difference once I replaced the shims to let the engine breathe a little better.

Hey Sark, I am assuming you have the rear tires off the ground? Pretty damn hard to get it to turn if in gear. Good luck with the valve adjustment. Did this and found most if not all valves out of adjustment and to tight. Made a big difference once I replaced the shims to let the engine breathe a little better.
If it makes you feel better, mine are the same way. 10/12 are not in spec, and most are too tight. I put the transfer case shifter to neutral, but from what I learned since posting the original is that the automatic transmission should be fine to hand crank in park. I'm not a mechanic so I just wanted to make sure that was the case. The service manual doesn't mention anything about being in a certain gear, regardless of the type of transmission.

I haven't done the valves yet, and the engine seemed to be a tad too noisy even for a diesel, so I'm hoping this fixes that concern. With 10/12 not being in the right range of clearance, it should help regardless of the noise afterwards. In the middle of a lot of maintenance work so I won't be able to test drive or anything for a bit longer.

If it makes you feel better, mine are the same way. 10/12 are not in spec, and most are too tight. I put the transfer case shifter to neutral, but from what I learned since posting the original is that the automatic transmission should be fine to hand crank in park. I'm not a mechanic so I just wanted to make sure that was the case. The service manual doesn't mention anything about being in a certain gear, regardless of the type of transmission.

I haven't done the valves yet, and the engine seemed to be a tad too noisy even for a diesel, so I'm hoping this fixes that concern. With 10/12 not being in the right range of clearance, it should help regardless of the noise afterwards. In the middle of a lot of maintenance work so I won't be able to test drive or anything for a bit longer.
Sounds like you figured it out. If anything like mine, you should feel a noticeable difference once it starts to rev. Won't win any races, but every little bit helps!

Sounds like you figured it out. If anything like mine, you should feel a noticeable difference once it starts to rev. Won't win any races, but every little bit helps!
Glad to hear. I would've thought they'd be loose, with how wearing parts tend to work. Not sure why they would be tighter than they should be.

Mine are tight too and I'm getting ready to do soon. Sure wish it wasn't shim style... 😔
Took over 2 weeks to get shims from JP! Would be nice if you could somehow find the clearances without removing the valve cover... operating room on pause til the meds got here

Took over 2 weeks to get shims from JP! Would be nice if you could somehow find the clearances without removing the valve cover... operating room on pause til the meds got here
2 weeks, yikes! I used Partsouq for mine and had them in a couple of days. Just lucky I guess.

Were the valves that out of specification where you needed to order new shims? How many?

Generally speaking you can move the 12 shims around to get you pretty close to specification.
Maybe it is time that someone that is great at parts sourcing in Japan puts together a kit ? Pretty sure this would be a good item to have .

Were the valves that out of specification where you needed to order new shims? How many?

Generally speaking you can move the 12 shims around to get you pretty close to specification.
I got away with moving a few around but needed to purchase...I think 5. 1 and 2 were way out of spec on the tight side, along with the last two on cylinder 6 were only slightly out of spec. Once again, on the tight end. The middle cylinders I was able to move around. The general theme of the job was every one of the shims was too tight, whether in spec or not. With the shims I purchased and the ones in use I was able to get every valve in the middle of the spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom