1HZ Turbo Vendors , recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For me it’s the peace of mind. I wouldn’t want to spend all that time and money only to end up with an inferior platform that I have to baby in many scenarios.

Going over Eisenhower in my 1HDT, EGTs got hot enough, I can’t imagine the stress that drive would put on a turbo’d 1HZ during summer.

Have others done it successfully? Sure. Have many ended up with fragile platforms, not designed to handle whatever comes their way? Absolutely.

That’s the beauty of forums, I don’t need a singular, personal experience of my own, when I have mountains of data to pour through before arriving at a decision.

Last edited:
Yeah, not just talked about, there's loads of history of turbo charged 1HZ in Australia.

Traditionally the approach is boost to about 7-10psi, crank up the fuel so smoke is tolerable and call it good.

Low boost, high fuel, no intercooler, no monitoring, and tuning driven by impressing the customer, not by longevity. Then add customers blindly driving it relentlessly on a hot tune.
Lots survive it, many don't.
Tow a van, or a boat, and the torture level goes right up.

Higher boost is your friend, it keeps combustion temps lower. Heat in the head is the 1HZ's big weakness.

Keep in mind Australia is virtually dead flat and almost entirely near sea-level. It's a completely different situation to climbing mountains at altitude.

The torture testing Australians do involves hooking on a huge caravan and driving all day in 40C heat. But it's still a very different test to driving in the mountains and the turbo response needed is very different.

Look at the opposite argument. How many people pull 1HD engines to fit 1HZ+T?

Zero.

There is only one thing IDI diesels do better than DI. That's rev. But in spite of that power and torque and lower, stress, heat rejection and fuel consumption are higher.

What altitude are we talking?
7000 ft home , 8600- 10300 work .. 5000’ town.

Look at the opposite argument. How many people pull 1HD engines to fit 1HZ+T?

Zero.

There is only one thing IDI diesels do better than DI. That's rev. But in spite of that power and torque and lower, stress, heat rejection and fuel consumption are higher.

What altitude are we talking?

That's significant. I can't see any off-the-shelf turbo kit performing well at those altitudes. It's almost compound turbo territory. You're almost 40% down on air density.

I had an experience to upgrade my original 1HZ to 1HDT. Pay&plug&play. Oil drain and 3’’ exhaust are custom, the rest is oem. Worked excellent
F5765436-DAA3-4EFD-AABA-36E2141D0C51.jpeg

2137C3FD-3907-488A-B76F-D259CE762482.jpeg

The project had also the portal axles. Still very fast and easy to drive
853546C8-105A-4C1E-8093-7E8E1C21AAFD.jpeg

A8BC9AE2-BE07-4C9A-A758-F2993442ED1B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom