1HZ turbo, O2 sensor placement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got an afr kit to help my tuning, and am learning. So far i believe the sensor placement is not far from the turbos output so maybe half way along the dump pipe which for me would be maybe 10" from the turbo. Angled so as not to have condensation build in the sensor. Anyone got pics of their sensor placement?
My truck is an 80 with a holset hx30 super, about 20 inches of 3" dump before hitting the rest of the pipe.

I did a bit of research on this when making an exhaust system for my turbo 1hz
Sensor should be about 18" or more from turbo outlet so it doesn't get to hot, and the tip angled downward so it isn't affected by condensation.

Thanks, thats good info, what afr kit did you use for it?
Was reading this post earlier
While I am still waiting for some parts to arrive I will share my thoughts and I hope to get some ideas and constructive criticism. I know we all know it is a bad idea to turbo charge 1HZ but many 1HZ turbocharged successfully and keep turning their wheels for hundreds of thousands kilometers.

As many said before 1HZ is a tough bugger and will run forever with basic maintenance but wrong installed turbo can kill it really quick. The main danger when turboing it is heat from combustion. Having too much air is not a problem for diesel engine. Too lean mixture will have low power and low burning temperature low exhaust pressure and simply do nothing dangerous. But rich mixture will burn hot and also create a lot of exhaust pressure and as a result more boost pressure and if more fuel is added again it will keep burning hotter and hotter until we have burned out pistons...

Here we have first dilemma in order to keep it all under control we need to have some sort of monitoring system. As this engine is all mechanical we can't just connect OBD scanner and see what is happening.

Not a big deal we can add O2 sensor and get reading from the monitor and see what actual AFR is right now right with this load... Not so easy... Narrow band O2 sensors are useless in our case and even wide band O2 sensors monitors are only showing high AFR 20 or some 22. This is ok for gas engines as AFR 22 for gas engine is way too high and mixture is way too lean.

For diesel engine we can see AFR 20 and even 30 and even 80.... Diesel engine will run with no problem at such a high AFR.

This is why we can't just buy even $200 AFR monitor kit and call it a good monitoring tool in our case. I decided to put AFR monitoring system using different components and they are:

1. Bosch 17025 wide band O2 sensor LSU 4.9 Lambda
2. Ecotrons wideband controller ALM-Board Wideband Controller ALM-board | ECOTRONS
This controller is using Bosch CJ125 chip specifically designed to work with Bosch 17025 O2 sensor.
3. Auberins digital automobile gauge SYL-1813R. It can be connected witg O2 controller and adjusted to show different parameters.

Any ideas are welcome.

Seems like a pretty good idea for an accurate AFR reader for a diesel, Ive only had experience with a v8 chev petrol O2 gauge setup I built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom