1hz timing belt/tensioner/spring + water pump renewal on a very old (like mine!) 1hz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
at 600 k km I did the timing belt/tensioner and water pump replacement myself. I don't have any fancy/special tools.

I'm aware the factory spec is to renew the t-belt and tensioner/spring setup ever 100 k km's but some people claim it's actually 150 k km's (which is close to 100 k miles aka 160 k km's).

Now the motor is over 691 k km's so only 9 k km's away from when it should be due for the next round of fun. I recall last time that getting the tensioner spring on was a joyful time.

Are the toyota vs gates t-belts equivalent in quality? I used a genuine water pump last time and would do so again. As I've only done this job once before myself, I don't remember if I changed or did anything else. I think a couple of seals can be replaced? I don't have or know of any way to 'lock' the camshaft so not sure if that's necessary once the motor is in the right rotational position to set up the timing marks.

Toyota changed the timing belt maintenance interval with the 1hdfte.
I believe there was a minor change in the belt design.

None of the parts needed are very expensive. Certainly not expensive enough to push your luck on them, particularly the sub-$20 tensioner spring.

I used a Gates belt on a previous vehicle with no issue concerns on quality.

in terms of getting the spring on/off, the right tool, and the right approach makes it simple enough. It's an awkward spot no doubt

A hook pick, or a tee handled tool can help

Screenshot_20221122-214115.png

1-544_20Img_201_jumbo_1296x.jpg

We always use OEM belts. I'm sure Gates would be fine, but I have seen aftermarket belts be off by as half tooth in length, especially on newer Volkswagens. It makes setting the timing a nightmare.

The price difference is minimal, and the labor is extensive. It doesn't make sense to save a few dollars in this area.

Also, 700k is AMAZING!!!

700 k km not miles. :cool: 691.5 k km currently as of yesterday.

I used a brake spring pliers tool (google it) and it makes the task super easy (other than potential interference from radiator, etc)

I have found gates ok as far as fan belts, but the german optibelts to be really excellent , but not sure if they make a hz timing belt.

But I have found a tremendous difference in the quality of rubber used for say rocker cover rubber, the ome is far superior, chalk and cheese. Certainly wasting time and energy not getting toyota ome.

I agree, a particular job every 100-150k is worth spending the extra 20-50 -200 bucks for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom