1HZ-T into 64 FJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1HZ-T is sitting in a crate in Chicago, so it is almost here in Texas. So this is what I have.
1 1HZ-T w/ H55F & split case
1 Paseo Alt
1 12 volt Toy starter
1 new 12 volt bat
1 new Rad +hoses
1 mini truck ps box
1 slightly use exhaust from a 100, looks bolt on.
1 tranny cradle from a 60
1 new Fuel Tank. . .( I like not saying gas tank!!)
1 1964 FJ-40 w/ front disks / OME springs and shocks
drive shafts will be fitted
motor mounts will be made
4 Stock wheels with 33's X 10.5

I thinks that is everything. Does anyone see anything that I am missing? I just want to getting running sound. Do I need an indicator light for Glow Plugs. Any idea's on a parking brake? Thanks Rob @ RADD for your info. Thanks everyone for any help.

Michael

sounds very nice, congratulations!
I am afraid you will need some electrical stuff, like the glow system. Also, the fuel system might need alteration, I don't know if the HZ needs a return line to the tank.
Just wait until Wayne startes answering your questions, and you will be set :)

The fuel return will need too be plumbed to the tank as the HZ returns a goodly amount of fuel. Not sure if your existing tank will have the return line in the top, beside the supply line.

Use a momentary switch on the dash to kick a HD relay in the engine bay to supply your glow plugs. I would not bother with a light, unless you want the bling.

hth's, and looking forward to progress shots.

gb

Hi Mike You might want to run a vacumm canister for the brake booster.
It gives a margin of safey in the event of engine failure.
Mine gives me a pedal wth full pressure after the engines been off for 12 hours or more.

Youll need a tank with three pipes coming out.
The Nippondenso fuel pump needs a healthy amount of fuel running through it for cooling. I think it only uses about %20-%30 of the fuel that runs through it.

You mentioned a 1HZ-T .Is it fitted with an aftermarket turbo?

No, I was hooked up by the guys at G&S. It is a factory turbo from a 1HD-T. They had it rebuilt. Sheldon sent me a vacum can. I have to check the fuel tank but I think it has three pipes. Are you talking about 2 pipes to fill the tank and 1 to the 1HZ? Thanks for the help guys.

I gues if your are talking about 1HD-T from 80 series .. ? turbo factory engine, or a 1HZ and you add ( or otherone ) aftermarket turbo ..

VTCruiser said:
or is it a 1HZ fitted with the turbo from a 1HD-T.... ;)

Yes.

gb

A pic is worth a thousand words...

Sheldon
DSCN3518B.JPG

Here is a pic of the 1HD-T manifold and reman turbo. Exhaust manifold and elbow have also been ceramic coated. Michael is gona have one sweet HZ-TJ40

Sheldon
RemanTurboB.JPG

guenther65 said:
No, I was hooked up by the guys at G&S. It is a factory turbo from a 1HD-T. They had it rebuilt. Sheldon sent me a vacum can. I have to check the fuel tank but I think it has three pipes. Are you talking about 2 pipes to fill the tank and 1 to the 1HZ? Thanks for the help guys.

You need one for fuel supply one for fuel return and one to vent the tank.
Th vent pipe usually goes to the filler cap on a diesel.
I think the 1hd t has a 10 mm fuel and a 8mm return line and the newer ones are 12mm and 10mm respectivily.

Sounds like a nice project so it will need plenty of pics:D

Hey Sheldon thanks for the pics! I received an email from CF saying that it should be in by the 23rd. Pretty pumped!!! I don't know what I am going to do with the F engine. I thought about keeping it, but I don't know where to store it. I don't think I will ever take it back to stock and parts are a bitch to find.

guenther65 said:
it is almost here in Texas.

Wooo, that would be a sweet cruiser. Makes me want to finish mine :)

I second RoscoFJ73, a vacuum canister for the brake booster

You also answered your own question, you need a 70 series rear axle with built in parking brake. Also get a 70 series parking brake cable and handle. Not one from a 73/74 or a 60, but a 70. One from a 1981-84 40/42 would be good too, but they are not as easy to come by.

Throttle pedal and cable from a LHD HZJ7x would be nice. You may also score the hand throttle as a bonus.

What rad hoses are you using? In fact, what radiator are you using?

Dave

70sguy said:
Here is a pic of the 1HD-T manifold and reman turbo. Exhaust manifold and elbow have also been ceramic coated.

Wow Sheldon, that is purty! May I ask if it was possible to ceramic coat the turbine part of the turbo too?

Dave

I was planning on going with a OEM 40 Rad. I can't go with a 70 rear end, I've already RB the rear end. Wish I could though. Now how do I find a pedal and hand throttle for a 70?

Westinl, I live in Austin Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom