1HZ-T into 64 FJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes, the old conversions used the SM420 and the shifters went below the heater core. the NV4500 in the 45 i had was close to original hole configuration but then it was behind the F...

Hey Dave,
I am a little new to this but what is a non-DC shaft? Or a DC shaft? Or a BF1A. Is that the split t-case? Was there ever a 40 series rear that had the parkbrake like the 60 and 70 series? If I did go with the 70 series FF rear, could I use anything from 40 rear I have now? Thanks for all the input.

DC= double cardan BF1A is the split case in the later 40, all of 60 series and most of the 70 series.

Yes, the 81-83 40 series has a parking brake on the axle, but all that you will find in North America are semifloaters. If your present axle is the original axle for a 1964 FJ40, no parts can be used on the new axle whether you use a later 40, 60 or 70 :( Even the third member will have the wrong spline count in the side gears to match with the axle shafts. What year is your axle?

Dave

I'll check but I think it is a 64. How much wider is the 70 rear? I know it is alot of questions but I want to do this right.

Same width. No problems, keep asking :)

Your rear brake line also needs the newer 10mm fittings. No big deal, not too hard to fit the newer fittings.

Dave

if youa re going to upgrade the rear brakes then might as well go newer disc on the front and a power brake cylinder and canister at the same time.
it does not make sense to mix-match the brake parts.
and if you are doing this then it is perfect time to ypgrade the clutch system as well.
pesonally, once you sit down and figure it all out there is a ton of work to be doen to upgrade the 40 seris, it might be easier to just swap the body off the 40 onto a 70 series.
there is nothing wrong with a semi floater rear diff, it isn't like he will be carring 2000 lbs in the back of the 40. the semi floater is just as strong as the full floater. there are a couple advataes to a full floater, ability to drive out of the bush should the axle shaft get sheared off, more selection of lockers, weight carrying.
the down side is more parts to service (esp if you play in the mud) more frequently. the semi floater is bolt it in and forget it, no service needed.
personally, unless the truck comes with a FF i couldn't care less to go to the hassle of installing one. Personaly, unless youa re running with a heavy load OR you really have to have a factory locker the FF is just a "cool" feature, bragging rights and a waste of money and effort.
70 series FF are not common and were never avaiable in NA. now with the JDM parts being sold the FF is more readily found here but still not all that common.
i have only heard of a half dozen rear semi floater axle shafts snapping off where as i have seen the rear axle hub on a FF give way.
IF you have access to a FF and you either are going to run with a heavy loador the factory cable, elec diff locks OR you want a cool feature then go with the FF, otherwise use that money to purchase something more practicle like a turbo.
this is my take on the whole thing.
cheers, i am off wheeling.

(edited now that I am fully awake)

From his purchase of a turbo 1HZ and H55, I'd say Guenther is trying to build a quite unique vehicle. Wayne's points of practicality of getting a later SF axle is a valid one, but in my books adding a Toyota full floater axle is still within the same style of modification as putting a 1HZ in a 1964 FJ40. I don't want to get into a SF vs. FF arguments here, but there are a lot of threads on this already. He could have kept the F engine and it would just be as reliable on the trails as a 1HZ, but he wants something better than what is already in his rig. It would be a shame if he finds an 81-83 semifloater axle after much effort to later wish he had bought a FF axle.

BTW, from the availability of FF 70 axles from outfits like G&S, Specter and MAF, finding one is no longer as hard as people think. If Guenther can find a 1HZ engine, surely he can find a FF.

Dave

Last edited:
beanz2 said:
Same width. No problems, keep asking :)

Your rear brake line also needs the newer 10mm fittings. No big deal, not too hard to fit the newer fittings.

Dave

Are you sure the 70axle is the same width as the 40....

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
Are you sure the 70axle is the same width as the 40....

Rob

Michael tlcruiserman was supposed to get back to us on that . . . but just rationalizing from the fact that the third member is the same, the (FF) axle shafts are the same length and the (FF) wheel hubs have identical dimensions. Where can the extra width come from? Or are we saying 40 series FF axles are wider than SF 40 axles?

Dave

rear drive shaft will be short, but no different than a 5 speed fitted J40 stock from factory.

you can gain up to 1.5" if you rotate the rear springs placing the center pin back-then the rear axle tube shall move.

front driveshaft is identical length to FJ62 front for FJ40 1981 model w/ H55.

t-case ebrakes are a problem when parts are old and long past their service life. the split case conversion kit uses all new parts and should hold 100,000 miles or more. it helps if you replace the seal and keep the preload correct on the t-case output shaft. I have sold 7 of these kits in the past....

1964 frames will pose problem with crosstube (round weld in behind t-case) and possibly the steering box. I found issues fitting a 1982 FJ40 OE power steering box in a 1966 FJ45 frame. most engine torque is rotating to the right (hence, broken motor mounts on left side) but the tolerance I desired between starter and steering box was too close and I chose to fit FJ60 PS into the project. It eliminated the old center arm as well, a better idea.

rear 70 series axles are exactly the same width as late model FJ40 and within 1" of earlier offset 1964+ rear ends. spring perches are 1/2" too far outboard and must be cut off and moved (use dodge perches if you want new).

my project was a 1HD-T in FJ45 wagon that was lost to time, some money, and a little hard times and never completed. I located my engine by placing the center of crank shaft pulley at same spot as 1966 engine. I had good head clearance in rear to firewall and all seemed to line up well. remember, the bellhousing will rotate the transmission slightly to the right vs the old style (pre 1982) so take notice before fixing the tranny crossmember firm.

All this time I thought the long side was a shade longer than the 40 cruiser axles....

Learn something new every day.

Thanks
Rob

RickD,
Are you saying I can use the J40 rear and a Tcase parkbrake? Just flip the springs? I really hope so. As much as I would love to give G&S more of my biz, I hate to ditch the 40 rear and have to deal with shipping it here to Texas. My 1HZ-T is on a tour of the US right now but it should be in this week.
Thanks for all the info.

Cool pics, but I'm not sure what we're looking for. Those pics look like a 60 series, but I thought we were talking about 40 series axles vs 70 series axles and the parking brake issue/driveshaft length.....

I think Tom meant to post them in the " PLS post pics of your suspension..." thread by beauh.

Dave

70sguy said:
And where do you think the electricity to run the traction motors comes from....
My A$$? I guess those 3000 gallon tanks are just for decoration then.

Sheldon

I know that. My cousin works for BNSF. I was just teasing you....:D

This Rig have a 3B Turbo Glide engine with H55F Split Case FF with other goodyes ..

alexis.jpg
35" with no issues in rear drive shaft ( CV cardan )

Nice Truck Tapage!
I love the mud chains!!
Is the 3B smaller than the HZ? That is were we might have a problem. My mechanic and I are trying to figure if we could somehow place the 60's rear braking system on the 40 rear. Anyone know about something like this being done?

Michael

guenther65 said:
Nice Truck Tapage!
I love the mud chains!!
Is the 3B smaller than the HZ? That is were we might have a problem. My mechanic and I are trying to figure if we could somehow place the 60's rear braking system on the 40 rear. Anyone know about something like this being done?

Michael
that is exactly what a 82-84 40 series rear diff is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom