1HZ Smoking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put a 1HZ in my 60. The motor has sat for 6 years in my heated garage. I put a 1HDt turbo on it. I have idled the motor for a couple of months and drove it around the yard some and no smoke. I took it for a drive on the road. Went about a mile in 3rd and 4 th, a little black smoke when I step on it. Went another mile at about 35 and stopped at a stop sign. Waited for a couple of cars, then took off with a big cloud of whitish blue smoke. Once I went about 75 yards it cleared up. Got up to 50, no white blue smoke but a little black when I stepped on it. Got home idled in neutral a little bluish smoke. Rev it and a big cloud.
I went on a straight away about 1/2 mile long and could see no smoke against the green trees. Any ideas?
also has plenty of power and idles smooth

Last edited:
Turbo could be leaking oil into intake? I'd pull the intake off and see if it's full of oil that wasn't there previously to start.

the turbo was brand new. Also the oring on the thermo wax shaft and the fuel cutoff solenoid are dripping. I should have those replacements tomorow

I would delete the ACSD altogether if its leaking. The shaft tends to have a lot of wear and the tip of the shaft breaks off inside the pump. Get a blanking plate and a gasket/o ring and adjust the timing to spec. Also if its been sitting that long. Its likely the pump and injectors are very varnished and parts are quite sticky. Seen it lots. Run a good dose of additive/cleaner. A little ATF works well or LiquiMoly diesel purge.

I have about 6 gallons of fuel in the tank, how much atf should I add?

If you can't get your hands on a proper injector cleaner or additive, I would say ATF is a last resort. The older ATF is different than the new stuff they have now so you have to be careful what you use. It will work as a detergent, just don't use a lot or all the time. No more than a half litre for your current tankful.
Best additives are IMHO:

1. LiquiMoly diesel purge(for cleaning)
2. Stanadyne additive.(regular use)
3. Other brand additive(regular use)
4. 2 stroke oil(regular use in moderation)
5. Old school ATF for old cars(<1990, last option I would take if you can't find diesel purge for cleaning)

Last edited:
Thanks Yotahead. I will see what I can find in the morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom