1HZ NA - Low oil pressure ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, you beat me to it!!! From the description, my spare is exactly the same as yours... How is the contact fitted on the can connected to the sender itself? Do you happen to know what the manual specifies for the resistance range, by any chance? Could you post a picture of your sender? Here's the spare I got...

Oik Sender.jpg

Thanks for the great responses, this could make for a great new "how to adjust a low reading oil sender" thread :)
Oik Sender.jpg

Oh, an Phil: How were you able to get such a 'recent' JDM cruiser in? IIRC, reading your posts on the Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club forums, yours IS a JDM, is it not? What are the import regulations in the UK? Just curious...

Oh, an Phil: How were you able to get such a 'recent' JDM cruiser in? IIRC, reading your posts on the Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club forums, yours IS a JDM, is it not? What are the import regulations in the UK? Just curious...

83BJ60
My LC is in fact a UK model.It was first registered in N.Ireland which,at the time,had it's own licensing system even though it is part of the UK and was re-registered and classed as an 'import, when brought over to England 3 months later.It was still supplied by Toyota GB.

My sender is exactly like the one in your pic.The centre contact connects to the circuitry by a spring-type contact.The same idea as used on the centre post in an old type distributor on a petrol engine so you can twist and turn the top cover to free it without breaking any wires etc.

Couldn't find any resistance values for the sender in my manuals.It gives a value of 22-28 Ohms for the gauge itself as measured between 2 terminals on the PCB of the instrument binnacle.

Another test is:
"Connecting a 3.4 watt test bulb to the sender unit connector and earth with the ignition on should move the gauge to the high position".

Thanks, Phil!

I'm at the cottage and just got the wireless running here... Great to have actual fast internet! At my house, we can't get it at all...

Anyway, I'll be checking the sender as soon as the relatives have left (Monday)... It's a bit hectic here at the moment... But so nice!

Thanks for the details, I'll check the thing and take pictures. I hope to find some marks on the thing and then drill a hole in the case to access the 'wheel' from the outside... Anyway, that's the plan... Having a gauge showing below 1/3rd when hot and just above 1/3 when cold is not what I call good sweep on any gauge!

I'll get back with pictures as soon as I get that thing opened :)

Hey, you beat me to it!!! From the description, my spare is exactly the same as yours... How is the contact fitted on the can connected to the sender itself? Do you happen to know what the manual specifies for the resistance range, by any chance? Could you post a picture of your sender? Here's the spare I got...

Thanks for the great responses, this could make for a great new "how to adjust a low reading oil sender" thread :)

I think the outside contact is connected to the inners (the actual sender) by means of a leafspring, sitting on a contact point.

At the time I took the old sender apart I was not able to get the cap off without distroying it too much. So I could not trust the refit.
But I don't know or there are other kinds of senders with a different kind of notching. Mine was all around. All this is as far as I can remember having it taken apart 6 -7 (?) years ago.

I hope to find some marks on the thing and then drill a hole in the case to access the 'wheel' from the outside...

I reckon it would be very difficult to adjust the sender with the whole thing assembled even if you drilled a hole in the right place which would have to be on the side and not the top as adjustments are made by turning the small plastic wheel via the teeth on the outer edge.If you were trying to adjust the thing with,say,a small flat bladed screwdriver it would be very easy to damage the contacts or maybe break one of the wires if the blade slipped off the wheel.

I adjusted mine off the car by connecting it up electrically with a long length of wire and connecting the pressure inlet to a pressure source (I used a bicycle tyre) set to whatever pressure you want,say 20 or 30 PSI and with the ignition turned on just turn the adjuster wheel in the sender to get the OE gauge reading where you want it.

I reckon it would be very difficult to adjust the sender with the whole thing assembled even if you drilled a hole in the right place which would have to be on the side and not the top as adjustments are made by turning the small plastic wheel via the teeth on the outer edge.If you were trying to adjust the thing with,say,a small flat bladed screwdriver it would be very easy to damage the contacts or maybe break one of the wires if the blade slipped off the wheel.

Then there must be different kind of sensors.
I'm pretty sure my sender had a screw to adjust.
Wondering what 83BJ60 finds....

OE OP sender (1HD-T/FT).

SENDER.JPG

SENDER2.JPG

PSENDER3.JPG

SENDER4.JPG

Turning the white plastic adjusting wheel moves contact A up or down which in turn alters the gap between contacts B and the position (or pressure) at which they close and hence the reading on the gauge.Hardest part is removing the cover but can be done and refitted with care.

THAT'S FANTASTIC, PHIL!!!
Now I got to take mine apart and look... To hell with getting dirt on the breakfast table ;)

breakfast table at the camp.jpg

This is where I get to work here ;) Just wish it wasn't raining every day like it's been in the past 6 days, this picture was taken on the only day we actually saw some sun ;)
breakfast table at the camp.jpg

THAT'S FANTASTIC, PHIL!!!
Now I got to take mine apart and look... To hell with getting dirt on the breakfast table ;)

View attachment 247405

This is where I get to work here ;) Just wish it wasn't raining every day like it's been in the past 6 days, this picture was taken on the only day we actually saw some sun ;)

Nice, I hope I get to live in an old peoples home like that one day

:flipoff2:

Nice, I hope I get to live in an old peoples home like that one day:flipoff2:

That was what I was thinking as well. We had quite a lot of rain the past days, but not a view like that.....

I feel sorry for 83BJ60 he has to endure this:cheers:

Aww, c'mon!!! It's been raining cats and dogs here... There was even a tornado a couple of miles away!!!

But you are right, I shouldn't complain... But I just can't stand wet, cold and rain, had enough of it this pas winter, gets me really cranky :bang:

But as you saw it IS a beautiful, tranquil place, one of those you cannot get anymore (right on the lake, a camp dating from the 40s, 4 corners and a couple of stumps to hold it iup, but - get this - HIGH SPEED INTERNET right to the edge of water!!!)

Here's another picture I took on a previous vist (easter 2007) but it'll be the last one here, I promise, Woody, I don't want to highjack the thread any further :p

Arriving at Bauneg Beg Cottage, Thanksgiving 2007.jpg
Arriving at Bauneg Beg Cottage, Thanksgiving 2007.jpg

Aww, c'mon!!! It's been raining cats and dogs here... There was even a tornado a couple of miles away!!!

But you are right, I shouldn't complain... But I just can't stand wet, cold and rain, had enough of it this pas winter, gets me really cranky :bang:

But as you saw it IS a beautiful, tranquil place, one of those you cannot get anymore (right on the lake, a camp dating from the 40s, 4 corners and a couple of stumps to hold it iup, but - get this - HIGH SPEED INTERNET right to the edge of water!!!)

Here's another picture I took on a previous vist (easter 2007) but it'll be the last one here, I promise, Woody, I don't want to highjack the thread any further :p

Yeeeaaahhh, go on, rub it in. Put some salt in our wounds:lol::lol::lol:

All the toyota oil pressure guages do is tell you that you have some oil pressure. - but not an actual psi pressure so don't worry about it.

Mine was actually lower than that and when I replaced it with an autometer I found that I was getting 80 or more pounds at start up, 40-60 at highway speed and about 27-30 at idle.

Your oil pressure is fine, if still concerned add a guage like an autometer - don't forget - the engine shuts down when extrememly low pressure happens.

Louis
Same 1992 HZJ73. My pressure reads similarly low but the low pressure light had never come on until driving home last night. My oil level is good so what should I look at next?

My oil level is good so what should I look at next?

You need to plug a mechanical gauge into the threaded hole in the block where the oil pressure sender sits. Then do the test outlined in the engine manual. I dont actually recall seeing a low oil pressure light, are you confusing it with something else? Like the low oil level light? The sender on them has a wire filament that often breaks. It is bolted to the side of the oil sump. You dont need to drain the oil to pull it out, but you need to jack up one side of the car so the oil doesnt leak out.
This is an old post of mine. Part number if you need it 89491-36080. About $242USD on Amayama
1HZ oil level sensor

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom