1HZ into BJ60 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kon

Threads
Hey all,

Iv been able to get my hands on a 1HZ out of an Aussie spec '95 HZJ75.
My plan is to drop it into my BJ60 which is JDM.
Now i can think of many things that are going to cause me to scratch my head..

- the 3B in there now is mated to a 5 spd, the 1HZ will also be mated to a 5spd, are they both h55f's?
my biggest concern is the crossmember, im kinda hoping/guessing the new 5spd will bolt straight up?
also will the existing crossmember place the engine to far forward?

- the 60 is 24v, the 1HZ is 12v. Problem. So i need to list all the things on a 1HZ that are electrical.
the three main concerns are starter, alternator and glowplugs. anything else?
will 24v burn out 12v glowplugs?
can a starter be changed to 24v?
is it possible to rewind an alternator to 24v?
did Canada or Japan get 24v 1HZs?
would i be better off getting new/used parts from overseas?

- were is the speedo pickup on a BJ60? what about a HZJ75?

what am i missing? this project wont be for a month or two, i'v got to help a mate tear it out of his HZJ75, then iv got
to get all the parts for the new engine, trade my 5spd/transfer for a rebuilt 5sp/transfer to
mate with the 1HZ and a new fuel tank.

I probably could have split this up into 4 different posts, but i didnt think it was going to be this long!! Sorry for the essay.

Thanks heaps for any help or suggestions or ideas!!!

Adam Kon

- the 60 is 24v, the 1HZ is 12v. Problem. So i need to list all the things on a 1HZ that are electrical.

Cool project!

The 1990 JDM HZJ73 is 24V; see photo below from Luxury Imports
600CIMG1543.jpg

if your motor is 12 volt, i would consider changing the rest of the vehicle to 12 volt, unless you need to have a 24 volt winch etc. just because changing a starter and alternator and plugs is expensive and anything else electronic on it.

whereas finding parts from a 12 volt cruiser to replace 24 volt parts on yours sounds a lot cheaper, and about just as hard. Although i dont have any experience converting a 24v to 12v, this is just an idea. but do check out he prices of those engine parts.

you will need the H55F out of the HZJ75 (or any HZJ truck). grab the motor mounts from the HZ as well as cut the frame mounts off...
wilson switch for 24V glow plugs easy enough
alternator from the 3B???? mod the mount to make it fit??
starter motor from the 3B with the nose cone from the 1HZ, someone correct me if i am wrong here.
the oil sender will fit from one to the other or better yet go mechanical
water sender mechanical or swap from the 3B
the speedo comes from teh t/case
driveshafts will be the same
you will need the rad from the HZ
shroud will probably be custom

sounds like a excellent project..

Rob tried a new 75 series rad for my HZJ60. It didnt work. We then went with a new FJ62 Rad and that worked fine. The 75 series rad is to big. The rad from the 3FE in the 62 has all the right connections where they need to be.

you will need the H55F out of the HZJ75 (or any HZJ truck). grab the motor mounts from the HZ as well as cut the frame mounts off...

yeah, i will be trading in my H55f/transfer combo for a rebuilt H55F/combo from a rebuilder. Hopefully Z()ltan will let me cut up his frame mounts, if not they might have to be a custom job.

wilson switch for 24V glow plugs easy enough

excuse the ignorance, whats a Wilson switch?

alternator from the 3B???? mod the mount to make it fit??

thats a good idea! i never even thought of that.. Does anybody have pictures of a HZ alternator mount or how the alternator is mounted?

starter motor from the 3B with the nose cone from the 1HZ, someone correct me if i am wrong here.

this im not sure about.. sounds like a nice easy solution so i hope it works!
im guessing the old 3B starter might not be as powerful as a HZ starter?
anybody had experience with both starters?

the oil sender will fit from one to the other or better yet go mechanical, water sender mechanical or swap from the 3B

the oil sender will swap straight across? cool. What kind of mechanical oil and water senders should i be looking for? got a web address i can check out?
has anyone put a mechanical sender on their diesel?

HZJ60 Guy said:
Rob tried a new 75 series rad for my HZJ60. It didnt work. We then went with a new FJ62 Rad and that worked fine. The 75 series rad is to big. The rad from the 3FE in the 62 has all the right connections where they need to be.

the radiator from the 3FE, where are the connections? is the 3FE rad same as 3B?
i was kind of hoping i could just get my current radiator revuilt/recored..

HZJ60Guy - what engine was in your 60 before the conversion?

VTCruiser - what engine was yours? i cant find your writeup atm. i remember you had issues with your motor mounts..?

thanks heaps for the input guys!! you have given me more ideas and solutions than i ever would have thought! keep the ideas flowing!!

Last edited:
Kon, my truck had a 2H in it before the 1HZ. The 3FE radiator has the intake and outlet locations correctly set up for the 1HZ.

thats a good idea! i never even thought of that.. Does anybody have pictures of a HZ alternator mount or how the alternator is mounted?

Its mounted on the lower right side under the aircon comp.
Brackets should come with the engine.

the radiator from the 3FE, where are the connections? is the 3FE rad same as 3B?
i was kind of hoping i could just get my current radiator revuilt/recored...

The 3B in/outlets are on the wrong side.No 3FE in a 60 in oz but you can use the 3F radiaitor from a 60

Hey all,

Adam Kon

You maybe able to use 24v parts off a 1HZ Coaster bus if you can find one.(try Soltoggios bros in Jandakot)

Im not a 100% sure they are 24v in oz. The alternator on a 24v bus is 55A single pulley.

You would be better off starting with a 12V Landcruiser or buying a HZJ75 as the money you will pour into this will equal or exceed the cost of buying a vehicle ready to go;)
That said ,I will say no more:D

You would be better off starting with a 12V Landcruiser or buying a HZJ75 as the money you will pour into this will equal or exceed the cost of buying a vehicle ready to go ;)
That said ,I will say no more :-D

Well, thats probably true, although the engine will be basicly free (a few cartons of Jack Daniels will be used!) and if i can use my alternator and starter, my money will basicly goto the gbox/transfercase rebuild and then nickel and dime stuff... bolts, wiring, tach, guages etc... so "HOPEFULLY" this build wont break the bank! There is a fair amount of time before the engine and 60 are ready to join, so hopefully i will have done enough homework and saved enough cash and picked up enough pieces along the way it wont feel like a lot of money!!

The 3B in/outlets are on the wrong side.No 3FE in a 60 in oz but you can use the 3F radiaitor from a 60

there is a difference between a 3F and a 3FE? ah well, as long as its the same radiator.. FJ62's arent rare, hopefully i can pick up a rebuilt/new one when the time comes, i'll keep an eye in the local trader..

Is the radiator mounting different between a BJ60 and FJ62? Im guessing a BJ60 has same radiator as HJ60?

there is a difference between a 3F and a 3FE? ah well, as long as its the same radiator.. FJ62's arent rare, hopefully i can pick up a rebuilt/new one when the time comes, i'll keep an eye in the local trader..

Is the radiator mounting different between a BJ60 and FJ62? Im guessing a BJ60 has same radiator as HJ60?

The 3FE is EFI and only the US got them in a 62 series,we had to wait until the FJ80.
I would imagine the 3FE US radiators are all for auto trans as well
AFAIK all the 60 share the same radiator mounts(like a 7* series) but they have separate radiators for the the 3B,2H and 3F.
The 2H and 3F have the outlets in opposite position from memory.

The HZ get the tach signal from bellhousing .?

It gets it from the rear of the inj pump. Theoretically you should be able to connect to 60 wiring as long as you have a 1HZ tacho installed

I have a friend who dropped a 1HZ into a BJ70..

this is how he did his motor mounts

image031.jpg

image032.jpg

is this a bad idea?
would it be just as easy to grind old mounts out and weld in new ones?

those motor mounts are the most disgusting thing I've seen in weeks (other than rosie odonnell).

motor mounts for 60 are best made from scratch. I've had 4" x 1/4" strap steel cut with a 4" flat, and two 6" angled off with 75 degree bends

\-------/
-\-----/ 6"
--\___/
4"

these then can be cut to correct angle with 1/4" frame scab plate and welded up.

but for a 70 series, why not spend the $80 for both right and left mounts from the dealer, cut off the B series and reweld hz. I did, and took me 2 hours start to finish.

the 24v starter motor can be detached from the 2H starter and combined to 1HZ gear drive portion of 12v starter.

24V alternators are common in Japan for hz's as are glow plugs, tach senders/fuel cuts, resistors, etc.

HZ transmission (flat bottom) rubber mounts will fit April 1985 and later 60 series, I'd use the 3B mount (beveled bottom) for 1HZ-H55 install before that.

the 2 radiators I know of for HDT converted 60 series were factory with new spouts brazed on. not an issue in the big picture.

...remember the a/c system needs a 24V a/c clutch etc and choose the right coolant type compressor (R-12 or R-134a) The 3B stuff will not fit (tried last year for 1987 13B-T to 1HD-T without luck)

thanks rick_d, i thought they were dodgy but he seemed convinced they would work.

rick_d said:
motor mounts for 60 are best made from scratch. I've had 4" x 1/4" strap steel cut with a 4" flat, and two 6" angled off with 75 degree bends

\--------/
-\------/ 6"
--\___/
4"

these then can be cut to correct angle with 1/4" frame scab plate and welded up.

Do you have any pics of this setup? Sounds like the way to go.

rick_d said:
the 24v starter motor can be detached from the 2H starter and combined to 1HZ gear drive portion of 12v starter.

could i use my 24v starter from my 3B with the 1HZ gear drive?

rick_d said:
24V alternators are common in Japan for hz's as are glow plugs, tach senders/fuel cuts, resistors, etc.

I was going to go with Crushers plan and make a custom mount for the 3B alternator. Do you know of a problem with this?

rick_d said:
HZ transmission (flat bottom) rubber mounts will fit April 1985 and later 60 series, I'd use the 3B mount (beveled bottom) for 1HZ-H55 install before that.

Mines is a '83 so i probably have a beveled mount, will the H55F still bolt up? or should i look for a flat mount from a 85+ ?

Thanks heaps for all the reply's!! You guys are making this sound a lot more do-able than i thought it would be!

hey guys

dont suppose any of you guys have pics laying around of your engine mounts?

or a link to your writeups?

iv found a few writeups but no good pics of freshly welded mounts!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom