1HZ HZJ105 Immobilizer fuel cut solenoid (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mudgudgeon

Resident galah
SILVER Star
Threads
I recently set up the 1HZ engine I removed from my old 2002 HZJ105 on a stand so I can run it, and do some work on it.

105 series 1HZ have a smart RFID key and an engine Imobilizer module on the injector pump fuel cut solenoid.
For me to start the engine out of the chassis, I needed to eliminate the immobilizer module.

I searched, and found a few inconclusive threads, so figured I'd add some info.

This is what it looks like
Screenshot_20221214-185821.png

Minty fresh OEM.
The factory fasteners are security fasteners (not the torx shown above). They are hardened and have a domed head on them.

In the wild
(after going a little bit caveman on it)

PXL_20221203_104003558.jpg

PXL_20221203_103956947.jpg

There's three wires, I think there's an ECU that talks to the immobilizer and the key.

The immobilizer module has a printed circuit board in it cast in epoxy.

To get it off, I used a screw driver to chisel some of the plastic casing away from fasteners.
Then I used a double hex (12point) 8mm socket, an extension bar, and hammered it onto the domed head. 8mm was the perfect size. Only took a few taps, and it was snugly on with enough friction to undo them.

PXL_20221203_104748164.jpg

You can see the domed heads, and the steel plate the immobilizer circuitry is mounted to.

There's a half collar that clamps the module around the fuel cut solenoid. Once fasteners were out, removing the bits was easy.

I was a bit to rough, and broke the single wire that connects to the fuel cut solenoid, but I had maybe 3" of length left to connect onto.

I tried powering different combinations of the three wires before I busted the immobilizer open, but had no joy.

With the single wire exposed, 12 volts operated the solenoid as expected.

The solenoid inside the module looks the same as a standard fuel cut solenoid used in earlier models.

PXL_20221203_104020773.jpg

Damn, they built that properly didn't they? Any chance of pics of the pcb? I'm interested to see what they had driving it. If it is just epoxy covering it, acetone should dissolve it. If it's that nasty epoxy resin stuff though, well that's another story. I've got fuming nitric acid in the garage that'd take care of it, used it for decapping ICs at home.

Damn, they built that properly didn't they? Any chance of pics of the pcb? I'm interested to see what they had driving it. If it is just epoxy covering it, acetone should dissolve it. If it's that nasty epoxy resin stuff though, well that's another story. I've got fuming nitric acid in the garage that'd take care of it, used it for decapping ICs at home.
Hmmm it might still be in a bin in the garage. I'll have a look.

I recently set up the 1HZ engine I removed from my old 2002 HZJ105 on a stand so I can run it, and do some work on it.

105 series 1HZ have a smart RFID key and an engine Imobilizer module on the injector pump fuel cut solenoid.
For me to start the engine out of the chassis, I needed to eliminate the immobilizer module.

I searched, and found a few inconclusive threads, so figured I'd add some info.

This is what it looks likeView attachment 3193257

Minty fresh OEM.
The factory fasteners are security fasteners (not the torx shown above). They are hardened and have a domed head on them.

In the wild
(after going a little bit caveman on it)

View attachment 3193260

View attachment 3193261

There's three wires, I think there's an ECU that talks to the immobilizer and the key.

The immobilizer module has a printed circuit board in it cast in epoxy.

To get it off, I used a screw driver to chisel some of the plastic casing away from fasteners.
Then I used a double hex (12point) 8mm socket, an extension bar, and hammered it onto the domed head. 8mm was the perfect size. Only took a few taps, and it was snugly on with enough friction to undo them.

View attachment 3193263

You can see the domed heads, and the steel plate the immobilizer circuitry is mounted to.

There's a half collar that clamps the module around the fuel cut solenoid. Once fasteners were out, removing the bits was easy.

I was a bit to rough, and broke the single wire that connects to the fuel cut solenoid, but I had maybe 3" of length left to connect onto.

I tried powering different combinations of the three wires before I busted the immobilizer open, but had no joy.

With the single wire exposed, 12 volts operated the solenoid as expected.

The solenoid inside the module looks the same as a standard fuel cut solenoid used in earlier models.

Did you actually get the motor too start? Have same sort of issue instead tho the immobiliser on my ignition has failed and car turns over but doesn’t start

Yes.
With the immobiliser module off the solenoid it only needed 12volts to the remaining 1 wire to activate the solenoid.

This engine was out of the car, so I'm not 100% sure what would be required to eliminate the immobiliser in the car. I suspect one of the three wires going to the immobiliser module would be 12 volts switched from the ignition switch. Would need some time looking at an EWD to be sure

Those bolts are like the security ones used on the ignition at the column. They break at a certain torque and leave what you have now.

Cheers

Correct. You can see the little nub where it was machined to a reduced diameter so it snapped off. The domed head that is left was quite hard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom