1hz harmonic balancer seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone replaced the harmonic seal on a 1992 1hz 80 series. It seems like the seal is on the inside of the crankcase cover?
whats involved in taking the cover off?
Cheers

Post in the diesel section

Has anyone replaced the harmonic seal on a 1992 1hz 80 series. It seems like the seal is on the inside of the crankcase cover?
whats involved in taking the cover off?
Cheers
Post in the diesel section
Gday Deanta, I recently pull a 1Hz apart. You need to have a sturdy puller to get the harmonic balancer off. I don't know what's available now but I used an old one my dad bought to do the job on his EH Holden back in the mid 70's. I had to file some of the holes on it to make it fit. You need to put the handbrake on and chock the wheels, put it in 1st gear if its a manual . The big centre bolt (32mm) is torqued to 362 ft lbs so you need to apply a bit of leverage to loosen it. Take out the 6 smaller bolts( spray a bit of WD40 or similar) and then use your puller to remove the pulley. Because I was stripping my engine I took the cover off but I don't think that needs to be done just to change the seal. Once the pulley is off you will see the seal. Dig it out with a screwdriver or similar. Fit the new seal using a suitable sized collar.( Be careful not damage the seal or warp the cover by using too much force.) Slide the pulley back on its keyway, start threading the big bolt in and refit the smaller bolts. Tighten to specs. I hope this helps.

Gday Deanta, I recently pull a 1Hz apart. You need to have a sturdy puller to get the harmonic balancer off. I don't know what's available now but I used an old one my dad bought to do the job on his EH Holden back in the mid 70's. I had to file some of the holes on it to make it fit. You need to put the handbrake on and chock the wheels, put it in 1st gear if its a manual . The big centre bolt (32mm) is torqued to 362 ft lbs so you need to apply a bit of leverage to loosen it. Take out the 6 smaller bolts( spray a bit of WD40 or similar) and then use your puller to remove the pulley. Because I was stripping my engine I took the cover off but I don't think that needs to be done just to change the seal. Once the pulley is off you will see the seal. Dig it out with a screwdriver or similar. Fit the new seal using a suitable sized collar.( Be careful not damage the seal or warp the cover by using too much force.) Slide the pulley back on its keyway, start threading the big bolt in and refit the smaller bolts. Tighten to specs. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom