1HZ H55 Into HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
So far so good, most likely the most strait forward install to tackle.

I might be speaking to soon, but after many measurements and building only two motor mounts the engine is in and lined up. Even the drive lines are the same length due to the H55 utilizing the same mounting points as the 2H mounted H55.

The HJ60 being a 24 volt unit and the 1HZ having all 24 volt accessories (Alt, Starter) will make life quite simple also.

Chasis is going out for sandblasting and expoxy coating, OME suspension installed as a SOA.

Body tub will go out for paint along with doors and tailgates, at this point we are searching for a clean FJ62 front clip.

I feel the 1HZ is a exellent choice over the 2H and will make a strong dailey driver, plus have exellent off road performance.

Pics to come.
Cheers:beer: :beer: :beer:

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

Your rig is sounding like it's gonna be pretty sweet. I am very interested in putting the 1ZH into my FJ60 (though I might go with the auto 'cuase of some health issues... ::) ). Though yours is already a diesel, I don't think it will be too much more difficult. I know of one guy who is already putting one in his FJ60. Anyway, I'd love to hear how it goes and definitely if the perormance holds up to your expectations... Though I'm confident it will. And for sure get the pics up.

-Ferg-

Rob,

Was the position of the engine mounts determined by the tranny mount?

What are you going to do for a radiator, being that the 2H and the 1HZ have inlets and outlets on opposite sides?

I don't know how far along you are, but did you check if the 2H sensors (temp, oil press, tach) will work with the 1HZ? Are you going to:
a. use the 1HZ sensors and hook them up to (modified I assume) the 2H harness, or
b. use 2H sensors fitted to the 1HZ engine, or
c. use 1HZ sensors / harness combo and modify the 1HZ engine harness to work with the HJ60 instrument panel/main harness?

What about the glow plug timer? Just use the 2H timer and hook them up to the 1HZ glowplugs?

Lastly, will the 1HZ power steering lines fit onto the HJ60 steering box?

TB, are you going to run an A/C in that thing?

Dave

I dont have plans for A/C. Sure it's always great to have it, but it isnt really necessary in the Northwest.

My man Rob's doing a bang up job.

CANT WAIT TO DRIVE HER AGAIN!

TB

1987 HJ60 that I bought from a guy who had imported it from Alberta.

It's going to be a HZTJ60 now. 60 body with a 62 front clip and a 1HZ turbo charged engine.

If we cant find a 62 front end I'll take a 60 front clip.

Here are the stats it's going to have. Parts I'm just waiting to install. I have most of the stuff already.

TB
1987 Toyota HJ-60 Landcruiser
4.2 liter 1HZT diesel with a DTS intercooled turbo charger
Dual optimas
ARB compressor
Ready aire compressor
H-55 five speed tranny
standard t-case
Old man emu full suspension with spring over conversion
Front end: 5.29 gears w/ARB four runner vented disks w/ four piston calipers trussed w/high steer and hydrolic assist
Rear end: 5.29 gears w/ARB four runner vented disks w/ four piston calipers, trussed, full floater
ARB front bumper with 24 volt M10000 pound winch with synthetic rope and IPF lights
Kaymar rear bumper tire carrier gas carrier
4x4 connection side bars
Hannibal roof rack, tend and awning
ARB snorkle
Opposite Locke 50 gallon fuel tank
Opposite Locke 20 gallon aux tank
Cobra CB
Custom Alpine stereo with XM satalite radio
Recaro seats
Tinted windows
ATS Propane injection
17x9 trail ready bead locked rims with 37" goodyear MTR's

That is going to one jewlel, I can't wait to see the finished product :D

What did the motor come from?

The engine came from Sheldon at GSCruisers in Vancouver.

http://gscruiserparts.com/index.html

It came out of a wrecked HZJ80 in Japan. Low miles too.

Sheldon did a pressure check on it (all 6 cylinders) when it came in and each cylinder tested above 600PSI.

She's gonna be a sweet engine.

I'm going to put a big intercooler on it and turbo charge it.

TB

[quote author=HZJ60_Guy link=board=21;threadid=9135;start=msg80447#msg80447 date=1072406896]

It came out of a wrecked HZJ80 in Japan.
[/quote]

I'm not sure but don't the Japanese 80 diesels have a split 12V/24V system? Rob, better find out first. If the glow plugs are 12V and you hook them up to 24V on the HJ60 you'd have one heck of a glow :eek:

Yeah, gscruiserparts.com have one heck of a parts stash.

Dave

[quote author=HZJ60_Guy link=board=21;threadid=9135;start=msg80447#msg80447 date=1072406896]
The engine came from Sheldon at GSCruisers in Vancouver.

http://gscruiserparts.com/index.html

It came out of a wrecked HZJ80 in Japan. Low miles too.

[/quote]

Actually it came out of a 94 HZJ 73.. that had only 80k miles on it. 24 volt everything.
After rattling around in B series 4 cylinders for the last 13 years.. the smooth sound of that 1HZ is really something else.

Sheldon

Thank you for the correction Sheldon.

Good news all around.

TB :p

Looks like I need to get ahold of Sheldon up there... I have a freind seriously considering ditching his turbo'd 2H and getting the 1HZT... :D

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=21;threadid=9135;start=msg80952#msg80952 date=1072576289]
I'm not sure but don't the Japanese 80 diesels have a split 12V/24V system? Rob, better find out first. If the glow plugs are 12V and you hook them up to 24V on the HJ60 you'd have one heck of a glow :eek:

Dave
[/quote]

The 1HZ is two four start and run while the 1HD-T is a two four start and a twelve volt run.

The glows on the 1HZ are two four and the 1HD-T are twelve.

Funny thing about all these diesels, I rebuilt a 2H for Tom and sold it for him to purchase the 1HZ. The 2H had nothing more than a ring gear for starting, the 1HD-T has one super sized fly wheel along with the ring gear( this in accordance to auto trannies only)

I investigated in Oz for possible tranny conversions and found the older A442 would be a good back up choice, the older ones that are mechanical shifting no electrics. There is a company in Oz that will sell you a new Valve body which has far bette shifting performance and claimed to outlast any factory unit, plus thier torque converter.

It still looks as if you need this hudge flywheel and ring gear, plus the gasser starter is way undersized for the job. So I guess you would need the starter also, which would be a good choice since it is two four volt.

Plus I still am not sure if the bell housing off the older gassers will bolt up to the 1HD-T.

So if you cannot get the whole Tomoly, it may be in your best interest to throw in a manual tranny.

Your only saving grace is you can purchase the clutch,starter,flywheel,throw out bearing etc from Ens Toyota new for a few dollars.

My two Canadina pennies.

Rob

Yes, the engines Rob at Radd has is as Rob mentiones.

For those lurking, remember that Toy offered a few other combinations in different markets: The HZJ80 and HDJ80 both can have 12/24Volt Switchover System in some markets (Eur and Japan) and pure 12V system in some other markets, as well as pure 24V in other markets, such as the 7* series from Japan where TB's 1HZ came from.

gb

Little bit of progress and hope to see this thing running soon.

Tonight we plumbed most of the brake lines and custom made all of them, soft lines were measured and ordered. We did a cool custom thingy with the front lines, instead of routing them above or below the axle we chose to run them on the frame.

I think BTB does something simular to this and runs the soft lines down to each rotor off the frame. The cool thing is you can pull the caliper off without undoing the line as you would normally do with a 60 due to the short hard line to coupler.

Hard to explain, new digital camera coming tomorrow.

Frame is Blasted and expoxy coated along with axles and springs, looks real Blingied Bling.

Rob

Salivate, Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalivate!

TB :p :banana: :beer: :doh:

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Dah, what makes you think dat?

TB :p :banana: :whoops:

[quote author=VTCruiser link=board=21;threadid=9135;start=msg96047#msg96047 date=1075234477]
Sounds like it's coming along nicely! Can't wait for the pics.

Hey Rob, did you get my last email? If not, how much do you want for a set of those mounts? Looks like I'm getting 1HZ'd....! Oh, and you better hurry up with that 'cruiser, looks like TB's about to lose it... :D

gehnfujii@hotmail.com
[/quote]

Okay, got a new guy working for me and I will have him build a set with my templates. This kid kicks ass, background in a local spring shop he can cut weld fabricate and has a mechanics course behind him. Best part is he loves this work and would do it for nothing(well not quite nothing), good to have another head around for ideas.

I will mail you once we have a set finished.

OK, its 6 PM and we will commence work as my helper shows up after work.

PPPPPPPPPPPICTURES!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

TB :p :doh: :banana: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom