1HZ going green-ish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All!

I just got my new to me 1990 HZJ73 home! Loving it!

One thing I'm into is figuring out ways to lower the dirty factor. I'm a firm believer that if we all do a little, it adds up to a lot....

Anyway, I've been searching for a while and haven't really found any solid answers, mostly conjecture, so I'll see if I get some traction here. As is, the truck has no smoke at start up or idle, and will give a little puff out of the back if you're really railing on it to get on the freeway or climb a steep grade, that's it.

My first thought is adding a diesel catalytic converter either by scavenging one from a wrecker or with a Magnaflow aftermarket one. I know, I know, no computer or air injection. But, if it helps, why not? I've heard some say it'll gum up the cat, others say you just have to make sure it's hot enough. There looks to be a little resonator under the right rocker, what about sticking one there and wrapping it with header wrap? Just a thought. It's pretty close to the manifold and should have plenty of heat. Anyone have any experience based on science, free of climate denier BS? I'd run a DPF if I could.

The second set of questions I have are on biodiesel and WVO. I posted in the Alternative Fuels section, didn't see much love. Years ago I nearly pulled the trigger on a 300TD with the intent of running WVO, so I'm up to speed on gist of grease cars.

How does a 1HZ do on biodiesel/WVO? It looks like the fuel pump is a little more finicky about fuel. Anyone have any experience? What percentage biodiesel can I get away with without replacing the fuel lines? (there is a source not too far from me). If I replaced all of the fuel lines, how does the fuel pump hold up to full BD?

I had dreamed of doing a WVO dual fuel set up in the future, but it's starting to look like it isn't the best idea... I don't want to risk compromising this AWESOME powerplant. Anyone have any experience with a 1HZ and WVO? Can I get away with a percentage?

I would be happy to be able to employ any combination of these things, or if it just isn't in the cards I'll just enjoy my 22mpg mechanical marvel and keep it healthy.

Biodiesel: You have to replace the rubber fuel lines with viton lines. The pump might start leaking or not, if it does, you have to have it resealed with proper gaskets. Any competent diesel shop that deals with Denso or Bosch pumps can do that.
The injection pump on the 1HZ can otherwise deal with 100% biodiesel without a problem. However, it is a good idea to either add a filter on the tank side of the regular filter, or expect to change the fuel filter a lot in the beginning, as the biodiesel will get all sorts of gunk out of your fuel system.

WVO is more complicated. You will need a heater and a pusher pump, as well as a filtration system that filters your oil down to 0.5 micron. It's a mess.

No idea about the cat. I would not dream blocking my HDFT, after first adding a stronger turbo, intercooler and free flow exhaust. But the 1HZ is so gutless anyway, you might not know the difference. Personally I think that if you manage to get good 100% biodiesel you are doing well already.

Biodiesel: You have to replace the rubber fuel lines with viton lines. The pump might start leaking or not, if it does, you have to have it resealed with proper gaskets. Any competent diesel shop that deals with Denso or Bosch pumps can do that.
The injection pump on the 1HZ can otherwise deal with 100% biodiesel without a problem. However, it is a good idea to either add a filter on the tank side of the regular filter, or expect to change the fuel filter a lot in the beginning, as the biodiesel will get all sorts of gunk out of your fuel system.

WVO is more complicated. You will need a heater and a pusher pump, as well as a filtration system that filters your oil down to 0.5 micron. It's a mess.

No idea about the cat. I would not dream blocking my HDFT, after first adding a stronger turbo, intercooler and free flow exhaust. But the 1HZ is so gutless anyway, you might not know the difference. Personally I think that if you manage to get good 100% biodiesel you are doing well already.

Yeah, running WVO on this thing seems like I'm asking for it. My thoughts on the cat was to run it and remove the muffler. I don't mind a little noise. Eventually I'd run 3" all the way.

One thing I gotta mention: the 1HZ isn't going to win any races, but in the HZJ73 has some grunt! I don't think I want to bother with a turbo.

Feeling like biodiesel might be a good way to go.

Just run 20 - 30% WVO for starters. It should be easy to find and just add a 5 gal. jug of it at each fill. You probably won't have any gelling problems in Cali but you will go through more fuel filters.

Just run 20 - 30% WVO for starters. It should be easy to find and just add a 5 gal. jug of it at each fill. You probably won't have any gelling problems in Cali but you will go through more fuel filters.

No issues with fuel lines at that point, right?

Not in my experience. I have not run it in a toyota diesel but many people I know run it in 3Bs.

If you run at least 15% biodiesel the emissions will 'clean up' considerably, and at that concentration it won't effect fuel lines or pump gaskets.

Mixing "WVO" with your fuel is asking for trouble unless it's extremely clean ad totally dry, and even then it will likely trash the engine with harmful deposits.

Have you looked into Diesel Gas Injection? I had it on my 80 series 1hz (from Diesel Gas Australia). From memory gives about a 97% fuel burn, more power, better economy, and less pollutants... A while back the Aus Govt were subsidising it being fitted. I loved the bit of extra poke on my 1hz...

The first thing you can do to clean up a 1HZ is get the injector tips and cracking pressure checked. If they cant atomize and spray the fuel at precisely the correct pressure and moment ,it will never be as clean as it could be.
I also found the 1HZ power adequate in a 73 series if you have 31 or 32 inch tyres

Last edited:
Anyone have thoughts on the diesel cat part of the question? There looks to be a resonator after the collector under the passenger door. I know the issue is whether the cat can get hot enough to function, so that seems like the only logical place.

I was considering throwing the cat there then removing that humongous muffler that lives under the trucks, maybe even repiping with 3"

Have you looked into Diesel Gas Injection? I had it on my 80 series 1hz (from Diesel Gas Australia). From memory gives about a 97% fuel burn, more power, better economy, and less pollutants... A while back the Aus Govt were subsidising it being fitted. I loved the bit of extra poke on my 1hz...

I hadn't really thought about it. Looks like fun, but a lot more going on.

I wouldn't screw with WVO unless you had an excellent system at your house to clean and dewater it. You'll need a centrifuge for sure. It may not be worth the hassle just to be honest. In the end it's not free for the amount of time and money for supplies, obtaining oil. It's just fuel at a slightly cheaper rate. Don't skimp on the system because in the end it will bite you in the ass for neglecting an area.

I wouldn't screw with WVO unless you had an excellent system at your house to clean and dewater it. You'll need a centrifuge for sure. It may not be worth the hassle just to be honest. In the end it's not free for the amount of time and money for supplies, obtaining oil. It's just fuel at a slightly cheaper rate. Don't skimp on the system because in the end it will bite you in the ass for neglecting an area.

Yeah, I tend to lean that way. If I had the time I would be totally into it just for the sake of doing it, but for the time being it seems like it's too much to take on. Plus it sounds like I'd probably sacrifice longevity/reliability to do so which is not why I bought this truck.

For the amount of time and effort to properly clean and dry UVO, one might as well make biodiesel and get a much better quality fuel.

Unless one does a two-tank system with diesel fuel purge, the UVO mixed into diesel fuel will eventually gum-up in the engine.

a cat creates a restriction in the exhaust?
If yes, I reckon cleaner exhaust due to a cat would be negated by loss of efficiency and performance due to the restriction.
Burn more fuel to produce cleaner emissions?

a cat creates a restriction in the exhaust?
If yes, I reckon cleaner exhaust due to a cat would be negated by loss of efficiency and performance due to the restriction.
Burn more fuel to produce cleaner emissions?

No, when functioning properly a cat does a lot to clean up emissions and way offsets the 1-3 horsepower you lose running it, at least in a gas engine. You do need a lean/rich controller to get the optimum function from a cat, but as long as it gets hot enough it makes a difference.

There are several choke points in the exhaust on this truck that I plan on eliminating that would more than offset the addition of a cat, but since I don't have a ton of experience with lower displacement diesels, I'm just not sure if all of the same rules apply, or if I can get a cat hot enough to make a difference with a non turbo diesel.

Other than the afore mentioned options, throw on a turbo but don't touch the fuel screw to help get a complete fuel burn. Also go through the rest of the car and make sure it is as efficient as possible, brake pads not dragging, wheel bearings at the correct preload, tall skinny tires to reduce rolling resistance. Also keep it stock height to reduce drag. I'd also go a decent free flowing exhaust, meh to the cat. I'd rather reduce emissions by reducing fuel consumption, anything that helps it breathe better is going to help it run efficiently.

How much heat does the cat need to function?

That's my question as well, seems to cook pretty well under the door, but I
know very little about diesel cats.

Other than the afore mentioned options, throw on a turbo but don't touch the fuel screw to help get a complete fuel burn. Also go through the rest of the car and make sure it is as efficient as possible, brake pads not dragging, wheel bearings at the correct preload, tall skinny tires to reduce rolling resistance. Also keep it stock height to reduce drag. I'd also go a decent free flowing exhaust, meh to the cat. I'd rather reduce emissions by reducing fuel consumption, anything that helps it breathe better is going to help it run efficiently.

This engine is so smooth and runs so well that I don't want to touch it. The thing runs like a sewing machine and has a surprising amount of power considering the numbers on paper. I'd love a turbo, but I'd rather leave it NA and get it all dialed in (gears, tires, axle shafts, ect.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom