1HZ engine location: need measurement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,
I am replacing the tired 2H with a 2016 1HZ-T (thread here). I've got the new one back in the engine bay and located roughly with the transmission mount. I've kept it straight left/right. My question is up/down: can some one please measure their 1HZ and give me a dimension? Not sure what to reference, long straight edge across the fenders and distance to fan center? Or a straight edge on the valve cover to radiator height? I was planning to use the 2H fan shroud, but the 1HZ fan is offset right and lower. Gracias!

Not sure what to reference, long straight edge across the fenders and distance to fan center? Or a straight edge on the valve cover to radiator height?

I don't have a 1HZ here. I ran a string line across the fenders and measured down to the rocker cover.
The position of the radiator fan with the proper shroud makes the fan sit about 20-30 mm higher than the centre position. I think this is too allow some sagging of the engine mounts over time.
I went to auction yards with a tape measure pretending I was buying 75 series.

In general you want the engine pointed upward at the front slightly... If you are good with the mount at the tranny and you have room to point the fan at the radiator, I would try to get a good angle (it's so coolant will burp properly and not get air bubbles in the water jackets at the back) at the engine and maximize the fan location on the rad.

When I put the first HZ in my 44 we weren't trying to copy the mounting from another truck, but used body and hood clearance, fan position, and engine angle to position it ideally

OK. I angled it up a few degrees as measured by a digital gauge, but after all was done, I think it's too low.

Lesson learned: measure the center of the CRANKSHAFT relative to the frame or other stationary components and use that measurement on the new engine.

Too late now, but thought I should share my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom