1HZ engine ID database available? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,
I've been looking for 1HZ engine number information, but only have seen B,F, and H's being compiled. The reason for asking, it that there looks to be some engine changes mid-'90's that affect the ordering of some parts. For instance, a clutch kit, or a timing kit both have two versions in that 90's timeframe. I don't have a VIN, or a chassis number, just #0079305 (on the block) to work with. Conversely, does anyone know what changes were made in that first 5 years that would cause a split in parts needed, and/or if there is any visual clues on the engines from that era that would be telling? Motor is from a LHD HZJ73. Thanks, Pete

Thanks! If only I had the secret Toyota decoder ring that came in my cereal box... can't seem to find it!:confused: Obviously there is a system - just don't know it! You do have a higher numerical sequence, so that may be something.... but is it too much to ask for a "5' and a "94" or something in there?? Much obliged, Pete

Hi Folks,
I've been looking for 1HZ engine number information, but only have seen B,F, and H's being compiled. The reason for asking, it that there looks to be some engine changes mid-'90's that affect the ordering of some parts. For instance, a clutch kit, or a timing kit both have two versions in that 90's timeframe. I don't have a VIN, or a chassis number, just #0079305 (on the block) to work with. Conversely, does anyone know what changes were made in that first 5 years that would cause a split in parts needed, and/or if there is any visual clues on the engines from that era that would be telling? Motor is from a LHD HZJ73. Thanks, Pete

What year HZJ73? That will be the best way to find whatever information you need. Engine number won't help you with out Toyota documentation.

Aye, and therein lies the quandary. It is a bare motor, purchased from another Muddite, who had intended on upgrading a BJ43 but decided against it due to local emissions complications (motor had to match chassis - no such requirement in my county). He's trying to ask his source for year, but he's had the motor a couple of years in the States so that may prove difficult to dig up. While I have you here sir, I gather that you are a parts source for things obscure and no so obscure. Can you give me a brief sense of your connection/work/company so that I can use you for peripherals for this project? Lots of little bits to figure out. Thanks, Pete

If you are not able to ascertain the year, the next best thing to do is to remove the timing belt cover (the black cover on the front of the engine).

If it is an idler and spring tensioner assembly, you have an earlier 1HZ. If it is an idler and a hydraulic tensioner, the you have a later 1HZ.

That's really the main difference with the 1HZ engine basically through 1999. That's the only thing you need to concern yourself with really.

Everything else about the engine is basically the same throughout it's roughly 31 year run (and counting).

If you are not able to ascertain the year, the next best thing to do is to remove the timing belt cover (the black cover on the front of the engine).

If it is an idler and spring tensioner assembly, you have an earlier 1HZ. If it is an idler and a hydraulic tensioner, the you have a later 1HZ.

That's really the main difference with the 1HZ engine basically through 1999. That's the only thing you need to concern yourself with really.

Everything else about the engine is basically the same throughout it's roughly 31 year run (and counting).
Any idea why a clutch kit would show an early 90's, and a late 90's delineation?

Any idea why a clutch kit would show an early 90's, and a late 90's delineation?

You would need to discuss that with your parts supplier. They should know the difference. Could depend on the transmission the engine mates with or flywheel size. Again, your parts supplier should be able to answer those questions for you.

You would need to discuss that with your parts supplier. They should know the difference. Could depend on the transmission the engine mates with or flywheel size. Again, your parts supplier should be able to answer those questions for you.
Gotcha. I was working that angle as well, but may need to talk to the boss as wasn't able to figure it out with one of the workers. Sorry, somehow I got the impression that you were a parts guy through reading threads - I'm new here so clueless! Thanks for the tip on tensioner - that would seem logical for a timing kit being different. Pete

AFAIK , all the clutches are the same from 90-99. Part numbers can change, but not affect the interchangeability. They may have used a different rivet or a different clutch lining and gave it a new part number.
You often find that when Toyota changes a part number, aftermarket suppliers keep selling the same part for all years. Master cylinders in these years come with about 6 different part numbers, but are all interchangeable.
The 1HZ has maybe 10 different fuel injection pump part numbers, but all are interchangeable.
Someone said the pistons had a few upgrades over the years.

EDIT, As I predicted EXEDY clutches only show one part number for 90-99, although they offer a number of options to suit the use, standard, HD, competition ect

Last edited:
AFAIK , all the clutches are the same from 90-99. Part numbers can change, but not affect the interchangeability. They may have used a different rivet or a different clutch lining and gave it a new part number.
You often find that when Toyota changes a part number, aftermarket suppliers keep selling the same part for all years. Master cylinders in these years come with about 6 different part numbers, but are all interchangeable.
The 1HZ has maybe 10 different fuel injection pump part numbers, but all are interchangeable.
Someone said the pistons had a few upgrades over the years.

EDIT, As I predicted EXEDY clutches only show one part number for 90-99, although they offer a number of options to suit the use, standard, HD, competition ect
Good to know - one of the reasons that I decided to go with this in the 60, is that despite being somewhat rare here still, at least it has a long history elsewhere (and of course, they are still cranking them out). I've always liked the pragmatic sense of Toyota over the years with their fitting of parts too: who would imagine that my old mini (Hilux) truck would share say, all the front end bearings, seals and the like from the 60! I think that once I pull the timing cover, and look at the tensioner style that should help for the motor. I'll wrestle the tranny off so at least I have a visual for measuring things for parts people (if that becomes necessary). No shed to work in right now, and about 14" (40cm's?) of snow two nights ago, followed by a -15F (-26C!) night - looking for a bit warmer/drier conditions to get anything done! Thanks for your input - much to learn on this journey! Cheers, Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom