1hdt v 1hdft engine transplant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there

In a bit of a mess trying to decide if the 1hdft is worth the extra money to upgrade too?

I will b towing a 2t camp trailer.

Is it worth the 3k extra in price?

Currently have a 1hz and its soooo slow.

Couldn't find the answer I was looking for in the search.

Thanks

Solution
Hey mate,

I'm in Melbourne as well and have both a 1HDT and 1HDFT 80 series. Couple of things i can point out...

It sort of depends what your total budget will be. For example, if going the FT means you can't afford an intercooler/exhaust then i would stick with a 1HDT. However if down the track you'll have budget to do basic upgrades to the FT, then its probably worth spending a little extra.

The Glow Screen on the FT can be removed when you add an intercooler (you won't need it here), the valve adjustment is actually pretty straight forward once you figure it out and doesn't require swapping in different shims (i find the FT much easier to adjust), the only issue with the FT is parts can be a little harder to find.

As for looms...
Welcome to MUD and the 80 series forum :)

The 1HDFT might be worth the extra cash for towing and freeway driving. Here’s a thread discussing the engine differences to help make your decision.

Last edited:
This thread from the Diesel Tech/24 volt forum has a great comparison between motors.

Suggest asking which engine people like better in the Diesel Tech forum.

Last edited:
1HDT had 12 valves
1HDFT has 24 valves

1HDT has better simplicity
1HDFT has a good intercooler

The the torque peak is at a higher RPM on the 1HDFT with better overall power. Arguably better for freeway driving.

Not sure, but one engine might be easier to transplant? Bolt patterns are different from what I’m reading.

Last edited:
1HDT
Pros:
  • Factory Turbocharged
  • More headroom for power upgrades
  • Conventional Glowplugs
  • “Short” common A/C compressor
Cons:
  • BEB Issues

1HD-FT
Pros:
  • Highest factory power/torque figures out of the box
  • 24 valves
  • Most Sophisticated Toyota Mechanical Diesel
  • Lots of Headroom for more power/torque

Cons:
  • Limited Availability
  • Expensive
  • Added Complexity
  • Challenging Valve Adjustment
  • "Long" A/C Clutch - Limited Availability
  • Switch to Glow Screen instead of conventional Glow Plugs

If you want more useful information from the forum members I suggest that you post what location you are in the world and what type of environment/topography you are planning to travel in. Requirements are a lot different towing on flat level ground versus climbing mountain passes and high temperature in the desert versus cooler conditions.

Thanks so much for your info and suggestions

I'm in Australia. Towing a op4 opus.

Hmm lots to think about.

Does anyone know if the ft loom is the same as the hdt?

Hey mate,

I'm in Melbourne as well and have both a 1HDT and 1HDFT 80 series. Couple of things i can point out...

It sort of depends what your total budget will be. For example, if going the FT means you can't afford an intercooler/exhaust then i would stick with a 1HDT. However if down the track you'll have budget to do basic upgrades to the FT, then its probably worth spending a little extra.

The Glow Screen on the FT can be removed when you add an intercooler (you won't need it here), the valve adjustment is actually pretty straight forward once you figure it out and doesn't require swapping in different shims (i find the FT much easier to adjust), the only issue with the FT is parts can be a little harder to find.

As for looms, the 1HZ/1HDT/1HDFT should all pretty much work with the same loom with minor modifications. I mean you have power to the pump solenoid, oil pressure sender, glow screen/glow plugs (not required), water temp sensor... that about it.

However both engines desperately need an upgraded/free flowing exhaust at minimum, they also both really benefit from an EGT gauge, an intercooler and and upgraded airbox (late model 1FZ airbox is a good upgrade).

Will you be running auto or manual?

EDIT - And i know people hate to hear this but its probably better/easily to just sell your current cruiser and buy a HDJ80... Good deals do come up from time to time and you'll have far better resale in future. If you can be bothered going to the effort of swapping an engine, id personally upgrade to a 105 series and drop an FTE engine in (if it was me personally).

Solution
Thanks for that.

I already have a front mount intercooler and 3 inch exhaust on my 1hzt.

Its a manual but the h150

So hard to decide which direction to go in.

I think its looking like the ft :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom