1hdt tuners in the US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any known dyno tuners in the US that will touch a 1hdt? I’m in Georgia and not a single sole will touch my truck when I tell them it’s a Diesel Toyota.

I’ve done what a feel is a pretty decent cowboy tune with the boost and EGT gauges. But I feel like there’s more on the table.

I’m heading out to Colorado in December, maybe I can catch someone on the way?

I'm pretty confident that any diesel tuner that can tune a 12-valve Cummins with a VE pump can tune our motor's reliability

Are there any known dyno tuners in the US that will touch a 1hdt? I’m in Georgia and not a single sole will touch my truck when I tell them it’s a Diesel Toyota.

I’ve done what a feel is a pretty decent cowboy tune with the boost and EGT gauges. But I feel like there’s more on the table.

You can add a aFR/lambda gauge and tune for better fuel air ratios.

Tuneing by boost and egt only gonna get you part way.

Boost gauge is dead

You can add a aFR/lambda gauge and tune for better fuel air ratios.

Tuneing by boost and egt only gonna get you part way.

Boost gauge is dead

It seems like not too many people make an AFR gauge that goes over 20:1. Even Glow Shift (a diesel company doesn’t make one.

Any recommendations? I found 1 out of Australia and that’s about it.

“It is best said that a diesel begins to smoke when the AFR gets below 15-14:1 for a non-turbo and 16-15:1 for a turbo-diesel. Remember, a diesel doesn't need a perfect AFR to run and operate”

That being said you don’t need a gauge that reads 22:1

I personally would be happy to tune to 19:1

“It is best said that a diesel begins to smoke when the AFR gets below 15-14:1 for a non-turbo and 16-15:1 for a turbo-diesel. Remember, a diesel doesn't need a perfect AFR to run and operate”

That being said you don’t need a gauge that reads 22:1

I personally would be happy to tune to 19:1
Good to know.

I’ve been trying to read so many threads regarding this topic I’m going cross eyed. Thanks for the knowledge.

It seems like not too many people make an AFR gauge that goes over 20:1. Even Glow Shift (a diesel company doesn’t make one.

Any recommendations? I found 1 out of Australia and that’s about it.
I use an Innovate LM-2 handheld AFR gauge which reads all the way up to 120:1. I like the handheld version as once it's tuned to my liking I can remove it as I have no need to monitor AFR once tuned. They also do ones you install in your car so plenty of options. Pretty sure it's an American company so you should be able to find their products locally?

I use an Innovate LM-2 handheld AFR gauge which reads all the way up to 120:1. I like the handheld version as once it's tuned to my liking I can remove it as I have no need to monitor AFR once tuned. They also do ones you install in your car so plenty of options. Pretty sure it's an American company so you should be able to find their products locally?
Innovate Motorsports (3837) LM-2 (BASIC) Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Wideband Meter incl. Bosch LSU 4.9 , Black https://a.co/d/hsnPhjD

Amazon for the win!

Are you just looking to strap it to a dyno and see how much power it makes?
As far as 'tuning' it, there isn't much tuning to be done aside from playing with the pump internals.
Boost is easy enough, just give it boost until you have a puff of black smoke when you jump on it, and it goes away in a second.
If you want to really wake it up, send the pump and injectors to Giles @ Performance Diesel in Canada.
After that, put it back on, and adjust to his spec (I think 0.95mm of lift), and it will run like a raped ape.
You can go through the Injection pump thread here is you want to go to the next level by yourself, but an IDI diesel is not like a standard EFI gas car where you can data log and adjust parameters in real time with a laptop.

Are you just looking to strap it to a dyno and see how much power it makes?
As far as 'tuning' it, there isn't much tuning to be done aside from playing with the pump internals.
Boost is easy enough, just give it boost until you have a puff of black smoke when you jump on it, and it goes away in a second.
If you want to really wake it up, send the pump and injectors to Giles @ Performance Diesel in Canada.
After that, put it back on, and adjust to his spec (I think 0.95mm of lift), and it will run like a raped ape.
You can go through the Injection pump thread here is you want to go to the next level by yourself, but an IDI diesel is not like a standard EFI gas car where you can data log and adjust parameters in real time with a laptop.
I feel like I have a fairly good grasp on it all. Between AFR. EGT and Boost the only real part of the process is confirming pump timing which doesn’t look that hard either once I acquire the tool.

I don’t have any suspicion the timings off. But I’ve also never ridden in another HDJ. So I don’t have a baseline for any of this. Lol

I feel like I have a fairly good grasp on it all. Between AFR. EGT and Boost the only real part of the process is confirming pump timing which doesn’t look that hard either once I acquire the tool.

I don’t have any suspicion the timings off. But I’ve also never ridden in another HDJ. So I don’t have a baseline for any of this. Lol

You're doing better than most!

You can tell a LOT about a diesel by how it starts. If (Like my HDJ81) your truck starts almost as soon as you bump the key, and puffs a little bit of white smoke until you drive it, I would say your pump timing is fine. Poor pump timing will usually cause you to have to crank the vehicle for a few seconds and / or feather the throttle to get it to turn over. Also, unlike old school gas cars with a distributor, diesel injection pump timing is a lot closer to pass / fail. If the truck starts right up, it's a very safe bet your batteries, engine compression, and injection pump timing are at least 9/10 of where they should be. If any of those are out, it won't start immediately or won't idle properly.
My HDJ is the fastest starting car I've ever owned. Like by a lot. And even cold, I just bump the starter, and it sits there and idles smooth as (old mechanical diesel) silk.

To be honest, one of the best resources for tuning and timing these cars is VWDiesel.net - http://vwdiesel.net . Read some threads there. All the concepts and principles are the same.

How's the smoke at start up, warmed up idle, and WOT?
What are your EGT's at WOT in 3rd from 1200 up?

You're doing better than most!

You can tell a LOT about a diesel by how it starts. If (Like my HDJ81) your truck starts almost as soon as you bump the key, and puffs a little bit of white smoke until you drive it, I would say your pump timing is fine. Poor pump timing will usually cause you to have to crank the vehicle for a few seconds and / or feather the throttle to get it to turn over. Also, unlike old school gas cars with a distributor, diesel injection pump timing is a lot closer to pass / fail. If the truck starts right up, it's a very safe bet your batteries, engine compression, and injection pump timing are at least 9/10 of where they should be. If any of those are out, it won't start immediately or won't idle properly.
My HDJ is the fastest starting car I've ever owned. Like by a lot. And even cold, I just bump the starter, and it sits there and idles smooth as (old mechanical diesel) silk.

To be honest, one of the best resources for tuning and timing these cars is VWDiesel.net - http://vwdiesel.net . Read some threads there. All the concepts and principles are the same.

How's the smoke at start up, warmed up idle, and WOT?
What are your EGT's at WOT in 3rd from 1200 up?
My trucks engine starts before I even turn the key all the way. Lol. I agree, it’s the fastest starting car I’ve ever had.

It’s a very light white smoke at startup and warmup. Puff of black smoke in first gear pre boost…. WOT EGT will get about 11,500

It feels really good. I feel at the top end of first and second it’s running out of fuel a bit. But I think the Zeal power rod should take care of that.

Your truck is running fine.
Power rods can help, but they can also make a mess of stuff in inexperienced hands. Be sure footed and tread lightly.

I'll wrench on just about anything, but there are two things I have no desire to take apart or mess with the internals of:
1) Automatic transmissions
2) Diesel injection pumps

As far as I'm concerned, they are both filled with unicorn tears and leprechaun piss.

Id stay away from the zeal power rod as its made with softer material and can make a groove over time
1661891666736.png

So the consensus is to grind the OEM rod? I’ve already marked it with a paint pen to see where the follower is riding.
i personally would not grind my pin cant go back if you wanted to...

I went with Trundles because it claims to have been hardened to 52-54 HRC also the liner profile and can't beat the price for $70 nzd way cheaper than zeal power rod in $375Cad yeah no thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom