1HDT smoke on decel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if there is any insight on my situation: my 1HDT runs great, no smoke issues with one exception: when I'm engine braking down declines for extended periods and my boost gauge starts to show vacuum - whenever I add throttle during or after i get excessive amounts of blue and white smoke. After a few seconds under boost or stopping and high idling it the smoke clears out - but i'm curious if this could be my turbo seals? Hoping it's the turbo and not valve seals/piston rings.

Engine has 250k km and regular oil changes, rotella 15w40, 12psi and 3" exhaust. I am running a catch can between valve cover and intake. Cheers.

Sounds like valve stem seals to me(even though kms are not high - did the motor stand for a long time ?) ... how dirty does your catch can get ?

Smoke on startup after sitting: not really, a bit but not white/blue like on decel.
Motor didn't stand from my knowledge, it was a winter vehicle in Canada for a while and maybe sat in summer? Unknown.. catch can doesn't fill up much, just a slight film after 2k km

Blue smoke after decel down a decline is commonly due to worn valve seals.

try venting PCV breather to atmosphere and see if that changes anything. If the catch can is restrictive, it could be a cause of oil consumption

Agreed, some of those catch cans do more harm then good, I was having weird smoke issues with mine until I just started venting to atmosphere with a hose pointing down along the frame, try that.

Ok i'll run the valve cover to atmosphere and report any changes

Blue is burning oil.
white is the poor burning of diisel. (Bad smell, eye burning?)
bad compression pistons/sylinder, valves, head gasket (+leaks water or oil)
Wrong injection timing, bad injector (spray pattern.) Bad injector pump.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom