1HDT small black smoke puffs @ WOT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting small random puffs of black smoke at WOT going up hills or other heavy loads. Very localized, like a single cylinder issue for a moment, not consistent at all. Injector or valve timing or ?!?!?! Injectors and pump rebuilt ~40k miles ago, aftermarket turbo running ~20+psi when this is happening. I've never adjusted the valves.

No no, that's really bad. Your EGTs are probably thru the roof!! You need to add more air via increased turbo pressure, or decrease fueling by tuning the fuel pump. At WOT I can't see my exhaust at all now that I've upgraded the turbo.

No no, that's really bad. Your EGTs are probably thru the roof!! You need to add more air via increased turbo pressure, or decrease fueling by tuning the fuel pump. At WOT I can't see my exhaust at all now that I've upgraded the turbo.
Some black smoke at WOT is pretty normal for a mechanical pump diesel and does not necessarily mean dangerous EGT's. If your exhaust is completely clean you are likely leaving some power on the table. That said - people (myself included) don't appreciate trucks spewing black smoke so there's a balance to be struck.

@Douglas S do you ever have small random puffs of black smoke at WOT? What's going on? I first noticed it on a long road trip pulling a trailer earlier this summer and now it just does it randomly.......

@Douglas S do you ever have small random puffs of black smoke at WOT? What's going on? I first noticed it on a long road trip pulling a trailer earlier this summer and now it just does it randomly.......
I have noticed it occasionally. Not a series of puffs but a couple larger puffs of black if I'm WOT going from city speed up to highway speed. Haven't really thought too much about it to be honest - chalked it up to just being the nature of a mechanically fueled diesel and different loads the engine is being placed under.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom