1HDT power Problem after breaking kingpin, o/h brakes and p/s pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
Several weeks ago I dropped a kingpin, shattered my axle housing etc coming back from a hunting trip.
During this repair process I overhauled both front axles bearings etc, and also have rebuilt the brakes, as when I dropped a kingpin, the vehicle smoked its ass off from what im guessing was gearbox fluid hitting the hot components, I also burnt out my brake fluid and ran them dry hence the rebuild.

Now I have it all fixed, the brakes work great, new discs etc, The wheels spin freely, And smooth etc. But.... all of a sudden, since being parked up after breaking down etc I have a loss of power down low, When i am in full steering lock, its whining quite badly and it almost stalls the engine. After looking at the power steering fluid, it is low.

Does anyone have any ideas? even towing my boat, It feels like the boats brakes are on constantly.
thanks, help, please!!

save me!!!

Do you mean a loss of engine power or loss of power steering power?

I'd flush the PS fluid and see how that goes, and then bleed the steering.

Is the pump leaking? The pumps are easy to rebuild - the kits are cheap from toyota.

Loss of engine power, but the powersteering fluid is dark grey and really low, where do the pumps usually leak from? I cant see any visual signs of leaks.

Long shot!
Get the front tires off the ground and with engine off and key on steer left to right and right to left for a few cycles.
This should bleed any air from the system, also add fluid as required.
Before putting tires to ground repeat with engine running and you're happy.

Also check for a stuck brake caliper.......I'd do this by having all four tires off the ground, put in gear, check, feel, listen and feel for heat on the hubs. This way you are ready to take off tires and dive into repairs at once.

Hey there, so no leaks in my p/s. I drained as much as the brown ps fluid out and rebled the system with clean red ps fluid. All wheels spin freely.
Next symptom i can mention is from parked, putting thr truck into d or r, and turning full lock my motor almost stalls. Either way i turn the wheel and try to move from a stopped position she almost stalls.

She idles around 650rpm. 1hdt 24 valve

Would rebuilding the pump fix this? Someone mentioned a sagiawa pump? Trucks lifted 4inch suspension, 2 inch body lift of 37" tyres.

OK,
Is she alright if you don't lock the steering?
If you drive a bit before turning is it better?
Is it Ok if you move with a bit of throttle then steer?
My goal is to really never steer unless I am moving, you have a lot of rubber to move if stopped. Always hate having to steer that hard unless absolutely required.

Perfectly fine if the steering isnt locked. If i am driving whilst turning it is perfectly fine. As soon as i touch the throttle eg. From stopped while turning it is ok, but does slightly drop. Would doing a pump rebuild suffice?

Best bet is don't lock the steering....stressing your system for no good reason, besides it runs well otherwise so why waste time and money when all you have to is change a small driving habit.
I make a point to never steer unless I am moving or the front end is up on jacks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom